On My Way # 5

Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Thinking of you, GC.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Thinking of you, GC.
Thanks SL. As one would expect when someone in her 50's passes it was a very sad day. Not to deny that many tears were shed by friends and family when my FIL passed away last month, but this is different in a manner that's hard to describe if someone hasn't experienced it. If nothing else, parents shouldn't have to bury their children. Of course it happens, my first experience being when the daughter of my first cousin died from leukemia at the age of six and later followed by my grandparents burying both my mother and aunt when they where in their 50's.

About six weeks ago I made plans with a buddy of mine to partake in an annual ritual tonight that takes place only once per year. After finding out earlier in the week what was going to transpire earlier in the day my immediate reaction was to cancel, but I withheld making a decision and I've decided to go out with him for a few hours and do our thing.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Thanks SL. As one would expect when someone in her 50's passes it was a very sad day. Not to deny that many tears were shed by friends and family when my FIL passed away last month, but this is different in a manner that's hard to describe if someone hasn't experienced it. If nothing else, parents shouldn't have to bury their children. Of course it happens, my first experience being when the daughter of my first cousin died from leukemia at the age of six and later followed by my grandparents burying both my mother and aunt when they where in their 50's.

About six weeks ago I made plans with a buddy of mine to partake in an annual ritual tonight that takes place only once per year. After finding out earlier in the week what was going to transpire earlier in the day my immediate reaction was to cancel, but I withheld making a decision and I've decided to go out with him for a few hours and do our thing.
Sadly, I have experienced both losses - understand all too well?

Love and prayers to you, GC.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Sadly, I have experienced both losses - understand all too well?

Love and prayers to you, GC.
Your words are meaningful SoberLeigh. Thank you.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Although I was tired it was the right decision to go out last night as it was a nice diversion and return to normality after the terrible day. We both chugged a big bottle of water and were home by 9:45 so it was obviously a wild and crazy evening. That said it was filled with some great music.

I was at the gym earlier for a short workout, my vacation preparation is almost done and my cousin will be coming to the house in about 45 minutes so all is good.

Once I leave tomorrow AM I'll be off line until I get back home at the end of the month.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Enjoy your time, GC!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Support to you.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Thank you Phoenix and SL.

We're leaving for the airport in about 5 minutes.

Wishing all a great week!
Old 04-27-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Hope you are having a terrific time, GC.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Hope you are having a terrific time, GC.
We did!

Da Trip

We got back last night from a fine vacation. The weather was great and we experienced a very nice blend of touristy things, being active, eating well, reading, and visiting relatives. Specifically concerning exercise, we were away for eight days and the only days we did not do anything were the two travel days. The hotel was equipped with a very nice gym and me and my wife were there four times plus another two gym sessions while staying with my stepmother. In addition we walked at least eight and usually over ten miles a day with the end result being that despite having a week's worth of restaurant meals I essentially did not gain any weight. It also helped that we made good food choices even if our portion control wasn't always up to par. Overall, I call that victory. I'll add that I planned to run while away, but it was so darn hot that I put it off; I did get on the dreadmill for a couple of short runs. Yep, you read that right, indoor cardio and IMHO the reference to the machine is not a typo.

I was at the gym this morning and the working out while away paid off as I didn't lose strength although my stamina took a little hit.

Eight stations:

Bear crawls
Sumo squats
Heavy rope fun
TRX table top rows
High planks
Riser sprints
Pushups
Kb deadlifts

Today will be a day of taking care of what needs to be taken care of. IOW, reality. Dinner tonight is going to be portabella mushrooms stuffed with sauteed spinach, onions, garlic, and mozzarella cheese with a topping of panko bread crumbs.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Welcome back, GC.

So glad that you had a great time!!!!
Old 04-30-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Welcome back, GC.

So glad that you had a great time!!!!
Thanks SL!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

As everyone who exercises regularly knows, no matter the mode there are going to be days that produce mediocre results despite an all out effort and there are other days which you wish you could somehow bottle the results and use the elixir for future great workouts. Disclaimer: this was not a veiled reference to PEDs. Getting back to my point, today was a day of the latter variety. Hoooray! I had an excellent workout and walked out of the gym very satisfied with the results.

My usual two rounds of warm ups:

30 jumping jacks
20 squats
10 pushups

Three rounds of:

Incline Db bench presses
Incline Db flyes
Standing Bb curls
Pushups
Standing Db lateral raises
Plank
Ab wheel rollouts
Bicycles

Dinner tonight is going to be linguini and clam sauce with a garden salad, a request of my wife.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:28 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Kudos on a great workout, GC.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Kudos on a great workout, GC.
Thanks SL.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

I walked about 1.5 miles round trip to meet a friend for breakfast and in a short while I'm going to lace 'em up and go for a run. If time permits I'm going to purchase a new pair of running shoes as mine are getting long in the tooth.

Dinner tonight is going to be St. Louis ribs with a side of corn.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

I did a short 2.5 mile run while the ribs, which will be done in about 1.5 hours were smoking away. I know I've written this before, but it's getting to be "go" time when I really have to pick up my running. Tangentially, I did not buy a new pair of running shoes today.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Exercise for the day is going to be my usual Wednesday night strength and stamina class.

Dinner is going to be spaghetti and meatballs with a side salad. The balls were made by grinding and adding the pork trimmings from yesterday's ribs to ground chuck beef. Right now they're smoking on my wood grill and later will be added to the sauce that is simmering on the stove. Earlier I smoked another boneless turkey breast for my daughter and it will be sliced either tonight or tomorrow for lunch sandwiches.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:32 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

At the gym tonight we had the following exercises with each, with the exception of the run, having ten reps per side. It was self directed in that we chose our weights and pace; the total time after warm ups was 40 minutes with no breaks. Afterward we did timed planks. Always lots of fun. NOT!

Kb single arm presses
Kb single arm bent over rows
Kb drags while in a high plank
Jump lunges
Up down planks
Sprints
Old 05-04-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

I spent most of the morning taking far too long to take care of some things. Hopefully the afternoon will be more efficient.

My exercise plan is to go for a short run in a little while.

Dinner tonight is going to be baked chicken thighs with a side of chipotle mashed yams.