Notices

On My Way # 5

Old 03-15-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Salad involvement sounds perfect!

Glad that your shoveling is over, GC!
A salad will be part of tonight's dinner.

Yes, I'm glad there is no more heavy shoveling to be done. We're going to be entering the melt/refreeze portion of this fun in the next couple of days so I can put my shovels or ice chopper away, but the worst is in the rear view mirror for sure.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:29 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
We're going to be entering the melt/refreeze portion of this fun in the next couple of days so I can put my shovels or ice chopper away, but the worst is in the rear view mirror for sure.
Too late to edit the original.

Change that to can't.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:22 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Aside from some walking and some very little ice clearing it's been a sedentary day.

Dinner tonight is going to be Irish beef stew.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:26 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

It's good to take a break now and then!

Hope that the melt/re-freeze stage is soon in the rear-view mirror, too!
Old 03-16-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Btw, may I have your recipe for Irish Beef Stew; thought that I might try it on Saturday (tomorrow is a Friday in Lent so no meat for me)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

It's good to take a break now and then!

Hope that the melt/re-freeze stage is soon in the rear-view mirror, too!
Intellectually I know that rest days are important and while I'm more open to taking them than I used to be they're not something I usually look forward to.

Thanks about the melt/refreeze.

Btw, may I have your recipe for Irish Beef Stew; thought that I might try it on Saturday (tomorrow is a Friday in Lent so no meat for me)
I'd be more than happy to share the recipe, which my wife says rivals a dish she had in Ireland when we were there in October, but before I type everything I want you to know that one of the ingredients is 12 ounces of Irish stout, such as Guinness, for a recipe that will serve about 6 people. Also, it's a slow cooker recipe, but I'm sure it could be adapted to a Dutch oven.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:43 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

I was at the gym for a solo workout of:

Db bench presses
Bb overhead presses
Db curls
Db triceps extensions.

Dinner tonight is going to be flounder baked in a lemon butter sauce with sides of roasted asparagus and brown rice.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Have you ever had WaHoo fish?
Old 03-18-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Have you ever had WaHoo fish?
Never even heard of it. I'll have to look it up.

Today

Last night we got a call from the husband of my hospital ridden friend telling us that she wants to see us and that we should come. Fearing the worst, after our 9 AM gym session we were changing at home when we found out that my wife's father was taken to the hospital. Of course the two hospitals are nowhere near each other and we decided to pay our friend a brief visit and afterward spend time with my FIL who at that time was with my MIL and two BIL's. Unfortunately, his condition went south extremely quickly and shortly after we got to my friend's hospital room we were advised that we should come see my FIL. Sadly, it was too late and he passed away while we were driving to see him.

On a much lighter note, we had good workouts this AM and before we go to spend time with my MIL tomorrow we'll be at the gym.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Spent the day with the extended family after me and my wife went to the gym in the AM for a much needed stress reducing workout. Arrangements will be finalized today.

I'll be heading to the gym in about 30 minutes and tonight should be a quiet family night at home.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:03 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

I'm still exercising regularly and, for the most part, spending the balance of the day with my wife's family at her mother's house. I was at the gym this AM and in a couple of hours we're going to be leaving for my FIL's wake. The funeral is tomorrow so there will no exercising.

With the exception of Tuesday, when I made linguini and clam sauce with a side salad I haven't cooked since last Friday.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

I am so very, very sorry to hear to hear about your FIL, GC.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your wife and inlaws.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

I am so very, very sorry to hear to hear about your FIL, GC.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your wife and inlaws.
Thank you very much SL.

Today

We're all still a bit dazed, but today is the day we start developing our new normal. Laundry, food shopping, going to the gym, etc.

My son went back to school last night and since next week is his spring break he and three of his friends are driving to Canada today. We'll still be a house of four for the weekend because my daughter's boyfriend is coming this afternoon.

I know wrote gym above, but only my wife and daughter will be going because I plan on lacing 'em up for the first time in a long time and going for a run. Yes, a run.

I'll be cooking for only the second time in about a week and will be serving black beans with chicken over rice.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

I was at the gym at 9 AM for a strength and stamina class and up until a short while ago the rest of the day was spent at my MIL's house. We ate dinner there so no cooking for me tonight, but that will change tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Prayers for your new normal, GC.

May your family be comforted by good memories.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Prayers for your new normal, GC.

May your family be comforted by good memories.
Thank you so much for your concern, prayers, and good thoughts.

Fortunately, we have many excellent memories. As for the new normal, we'll figure it out. For now it's getting my MIL up to speed about her finances, which are in very good shape and figuring out how to take care of some of the household responsibilities that my FIL was tasked with. Also, although the family is very close and has always kept in touch, extra efforts to call and visit will be made by all.

Today

In about 30 minutes I'll be at the gym moving some iron. After that the afternoon will be spent paying my respects to the family of a woman who was influential in my life when I was a teenager and passed away last week. Her funeral was on Friday, the day after my FIL's; I didn't attend because I thought it was more important that I spend the day with my family. Hopefully this will be the last death oriented activity for a while.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

At the gym this AM:

2 warm up rounds:

30 jumping jacks
20 squats
10 pushups

3 rounds of:

Flat bench Bb bench presses
Flat bench Db flyes
Incline bench Db chest presses
Incline bench Bb skullcrushers
Pushups
Ab wheel rollouts
Planks
Heavy rope fun

I was so fried by the last round that I could only manage one pushup. Barely.

Dinner tonight is going to involved pork chops and asparagus. We're once again watching our neighbor's 13 year old and she is a relatively picky eater so I'm going to keep things simple.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Yesterday I wrote that I was reduced to only being able to do one pushup so today I'm doing what any reasonable person would decide. Yep, I'm going to the gym again. My wife and I will be going around 6:30.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
At the gym this AM:

2 warm up rounds:

30 jumping jacks
20 squats
10 pushups

3 rounds of:

Flat bench Bb bench presses
Flat bench Db flyes
Incline bench Db chest presses
Incline bench Bb skullcrushers
Pushups
Ab wheel rollouts
Planks
Heavy rope fun

I was so fried by the last round that I could only manage one pushup. Barely.

Dinner tonight is going to involved pork chops and asparagus. We're once again watching our neighbor's 13 year old and she is a relatively picky eater so I'm going to keep things simple.
Good people - you and your wife. Proud to call you friend.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Good people - you and your wife. Proud to call you friend.
:Blush:

Thanks SoberLeigh. We're doing what we can to help a friend who is juggling being a single mom, a stressful job, and caring for a sick father who lives about 60 miles away. There's a big sense of community on my little block and, maybe because we've been here so long, in the town in general amongst the people we know. Many from town who had never met my FIL came to his wake to pay their respects and support my wife and me; it was very touching.

The girl is very comfortable in our house, having lived next door to us her entire life and not being shy about coming over to play with our dogs or on our swing set, so there aren't any major adjustment issues.

Tonight

I'm a little sore from some of the exercises the past few days, but that's not going to stop me from going to the gym tonight.

Dinner is going to be the rest of the chili that our friend brought over shortly after my FIL died. I'll reheat it in my slow cooker and prepare the accompaniments before my wife and I go to the gym so we'll be able to have a tasty hot meal ready for us and our house guest when we walk in the door.