Notices

On My Way # 5

Old 03-29-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

One of these days I'm going to have to get serious about running again, but that day isn't today. Instead I'm going to the gym tonight.

Dinner tonight is going to be baked ziti with a side salad. I made a meat sauce this morning so now all I have to do is assemble everything.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:58 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Today will not be a rest day in the strictest sense of the term, but I'm not going to do anything very taxing. Walking and stretching will likely be the extent of my activity.

Dinner tonight is going to be lamb curry served over basmati rice and, if I get ambitious, homemade naan.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:26 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

I'm going to the gym this afternoon for some leg stuff.

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled swordfish that will be marinated in lemon juice, chicken stock, soy sauce, garlic, and black pepper. I'm planning on making kasha, otherwise know as groats or buckwheat, as the side dish.

Since tonight is the last Friday of the month, my wife and I will be doing our usual thing and going to listen to our friend's band at a local pub along with some friends from town.

Our daughter will be away for the weekend, unfortunately heading into a snow storm which worries me, yet I know I would have made the same decision when I was 24. We will not be childless because starting tomorrow morning we're watching our neighbor's daughter until Tuesday. That's not going to stop me and my wife from being at the gym at 9 tomorrow.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Wishing you a wonderful day and weekend, GC.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Thanks and the same to you SL.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Thanks and the same to you SL.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

The designated workout this morning was a hard one and I was not at my best so there was an additional layer of difficulty for me. Three circuits each with three exercises with ten burpees in between circuits and another fifteen to finish things off. Cruel. The order of the exercises is not correct, but we did:

Mountain climbers
Kb rows
Kb hip thrusters
TRX rows
Heavy rope fun
Walkouts with a pushup
Ab wheel rollouts with a hold for as long as you could
Jump squats
One more that I can't remember

Twice I started to get very light headed and had to take a 15-30 second break, but I kept at it. I'll be back for more tomorrow.

Our dinner plans got changed last night so we'll be having the swordfish, kasha, and a garden salad tonight. I have no idea if the girl we're taking care of likes either of the first two ingredients so I have a back up plan in place, but as I'm quite sure she's never eaten either I'm going to insist she try them before making a decision.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

I was at the gym this morning for a 60 minute strength and stamina class. The Sunday class is not as hard as the Saturday one, but there's nothing easy about it. Relatively speaking I performed better today than I did yesterday. This afternoon I'll be going on a four-ish mile walk with my wife and dog.

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled rib eye steaks, baked potatoes, and a salad.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

As happens every year about this time my tax return is finished and I will now proceed with my annual rant: F@#K You Alternative Minimum Tax!

That is all. Until next year.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

For the second time in three days I had trouble getting through my workout. I persevered and eventually finished, but it wasn't pretty. The menu for today was:

2 warm up rounds of the usual:

30 jumping jacks
20 squats
10 pushups

Then 3 circuits of:

Bosu ball pushups with knee thrusts
Ab wheel rollouts
Heavy rope fun
Decline sit ups
Db squat presses

Dinner tonight is going to be spaghetti and meatballs with a side salad.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

With that workout, I wouldn't be awake for dinner!!!!!
Old 04-03-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
With that workout, I wouldn't be awake for dinner!!!!!
SL, the reality is that as one ups their game progression happens if they're willing to push themselves. Obviously to a point. Even in my prime physical years, almost 40 years ago I had no chance of become a major league baseball player or an Olympian.

That written, it certainly doesn't become easier and while I'm willing to put in the effort I know that the results are not what they used to be. I'm resigned to that; what frustrates me to no end is a day like today when I'm limited by physical issues and can't perform at my best despite my intentions.

I know you wrote your contribution as light hearted: I thank you for that and I know that my response wasn't in the same vein. My apologies; this morning is still a bit raw, but you can be sure that while I'll make it through dinner I will be having a date with my pillow not too long afterward. :-)

Have a great evening!
Old 04-03-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

SL, the reality is that as one ups their game progression happens if they're willing to push themselves. Obviously to a point. Even in my prime physical years, almost 40 years ago I had no chance of become a major league baseball player or an Olympian.

That written, it certainly doesn't become easier and while I'm willing to put in the effort I know that the results are not what they used to be. I'm resigned to that; what frustrates me to no end is a day like today when I'm limited by physical issues and can't perform at my best despite my intentions.

I know you wrote your contribution as light hearted: I thank you for that and I know that my response wasn't in the same vein. My apologies; this morning is still a bit raw, but you can be sure that while I'll make it through dinner I will be having a date with my pillow not too long afterward. :-)

Have a great evening!
Your drive, perseverance and perspective always inspire, GC!!!!!
Old 04-04-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

SL, thanks for your kind words. Ironically, I'm feeling fine today and were it not a recovery day during which I'll be limiting myself to walking, stretching, and foam rolling, I'm sure I would have a very good workout. I'll be moving iron tomorrow.

Dinner tonight is going to be baked chicken leg quarters. In other cooking news, I'm presently smoking the corned beef I made; it will be ready for consumption tomorrow, but I'm going to wait to serve it until Thursday because dear son is coming home for an interview on Friday.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Wow; so he would be living close to home then????
Old 04-04-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Wow; so he would be living close to home then????
If he gets this job, this is only the second interview in the process so there's a long way to go, he would live at home for a while. He's much further along in the hiring process with 2 major international companies so if he gets either of those positions he may not be able to live here. We'll cross that bridge when (if) we get to it.

Just as with my daughter who is living at home because her graduate school program only offers classes during the day with no option for students to be part time, meaning she can't hold down a full time job, if my son wants to live at home while he gets himself established I'm fine with that. As long as they're doing productive things and taking steps to become responsible and independent adults I'm happy to support them. Although my daughter is making some nice "pin" money tutoring and babysitting, it's not even remotely enough for her to move out and while my son will be earning enough to support himself once he lands a position he also has graduate school in his future and I know he's already taking into consideration the financial implications when that happens. Obviously, there are many unknowns.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Exercise today will consist of walking a few miles and going to a strength and stamina class tonight.

Dinner is going to be lamb curry, something I made last week, but wife wasn't here for it and asked me to make it again.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Exercise today was hill sprints. Run up and jog down. Not my favorite exercise and one that I don't do too often because of the pounding on my legs. I can live with the outcome, but clearly there is room for improvement.

I will not be making my pastrami for dinner tonight and instead will be having leftovers as I'll be alone. I was waiting for my son to come home from college today before serving it and I found out last night that he and my daughter are going to see my MIL and take her out to dinner while my wife is going out with some friends from the neighborhood so that they can show their support for her as she grieves the loss of her father.

In other cooking news I'm currently smoking a boneless turkey breast since my daughter has been requesting that I buy some and for the past two weeks I've been buying it at the deli counter at the market. What I make is less than half of what the deli charges and is far healthier.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

If he gets this job, this is only the second interview in the process so there's a long way to go, he would live at home for a while. He's much further along in the hiring process with 2 major international companies so if he gets either of those positions he may not be able to live here. We'll cross that bridge when (if) we get to it.

Just as with my daughter who is living at home because her graduate school program only offers classes during the day with no option for students to be part time, meaning she can't hold down a full time job, if my son wants to live at home while he gets himself established I'm fine with that. As long as they're doing productive things and taking steps to become responsible and independent adults I'm happy to support them. Although my daughter is making some nice "pin" money tutoring and babysitting, it's not even remotely enough for her to move out and while my son will be earning enough to support himself once he lands a position he also has graduate school in his future and I know he's already taking into consideration the financial implications when that happens. Obviously, there are many unknowns.
As long as the kids are moving in the right direction, all is well!!!!!
Old 04-07-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

As long as the kids are moving in the right direction, all is well!!!!!
I agree!

Today

Lions and tigers and bears....I mean accountants and attorneys and bills. Yeah that type of day, but stuff that needed to be tended to got taken care of. Otherwise it's been a sloth type of day. Nothing going on that could be considered exercise.

Dinner tonight is going to involve shrimp; at the moment shrimp burgers with baked French fries and a salad is the front runner of a menu.

I'm meeting some friends for an early happy hour, but will be home in time to cook dinner and have a quiet evening at home.

TGIF!