Notices

Hen House Talk- All are Welcome, Part 56

Old 06-23-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Good Afternoon Hen House!

TB: That new supermarket sounds wonderful! I bet you'll be visiting there a bunch? I know I would be!

Amy: On Father's Day? Mom went out to eat with my older sister and her BF after Church Services. She's been wanting to go to Dad's grave, but doesn't want to get into the chigger patches or any of the other clinging biting bugs that drop off from animals traveling thru the area. The red ants have also found the fresh dirt on top of Dad's grave a nice place to build their nests on. The cemetery is located in a beautiful wooded area. I told her to lather up in Skin So Soft and go for it! She wants to take her sprayer to the cemetery to spray the ant hills, but doesn't want to put it in her new car. Jethro makes fun of her for it. He told her she was going to regret getting rid of the new truck. He gives her hell everytime she says something about missing it. LOL I told her to put the sprayer in a large plastic garbage bag and go for it. She has problems with her tongue swelling when around certain poisons and other chemical smells.

Mom was taught years ago when her dad was alive to give him shots. And from that point on she was the one to give all our animal shots too. We'd buy the yearly shot stuff from Farmers Co-op, bring it all to mom along with our pets and the shots would commence!

It started thundering, lightening and raining over an hour ago! And Marvin is nowhere to be found! Jethro's already been out walking around trying to find him. We'll do another walk around before dark to see if we can locate him. For him to be such a large Rooster? He can hide really well!

TOD
Old 06-23-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Just so y'all know? I went out right before dark and called Marvin again. He walked around the side of the house and stood there making goofy noises while I was looking in the other direction. I turned quickly and saw a soaking wet Marvin looking at me as if to say: "What'cha want momma? I'm right here"! I told him to get his booty up on the porch and in his crate. I turned to go back inside and he was hot on my heels to get in his crate. LOL

So he's safe now and waiting on Jethro to bring him his canned corn and parakeet seeds!

TOD
Old 06-24-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

(TOD) Marvin is a trickster isn't he. I'm glad you found him and he is safe.

(Amy) How how is Cody doing? Did you give him his shot?

Nice and cool this morning in the 50s, but it's going to be a hot humid one today in the 80s.

Once in a while a new product comes out and you wonder does it really work as advertised. Well, I'm here to say I bought the Shark cordless and it works like the gem. It's a cordless handheld mini vac with a brush attachment. Great alternative from pulling out the heavy vacuum cleaner's for quick cleanups. If you're a pet owner you're going to love this vac, you will be amazed how much pet hair it picks up. For an example, if your pet has a favorite spot like to chair, instead of pulling out your heavy vacuum cleaner and setting up the attachments to clean up the pet hair, now all I do is pull out my handheld cordless mini vac with the brush attachment and presto all the hair is gone. I bought it at Wally world for less than 40 bucks.

After the meeting last night about 15 of us went to the diner. When the waitress seen us walk in she was all smiles. Why you ask? The tab came out to around $300 dollars, and she knows we always leave a nice tip. I had a rib eye steak with vegetables. it feels great to go out with the fellas after the meeting and be able to pay for my meal and not have to sponge off of others. Nothing better than Fellowship and laughter after the meeting and a good meal.

Hugs to all
TB
Old 06-24-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Anyone seen Venus lately?

TB
Old 06-24-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Tb..love the pictures...everything looks lovely and fresh..I'm happy
for you and especially love that nice big fridge..it's good to know you
are enjoying each and every day. Q has lovely eyes ..
Old 06-24-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

TOD - I kind of understand your mom about going to your dad's grave. I haven't been to mom's in quite a while, but that's not where I see her. I got home today, and there was a gorgeous butterfly flittering around - THAT is my mom.

TB - I'm a bit brain splatted (Venus's word) but I think she has checked in on whiners. She is working and doesn't have as much free time as she used to. When I wonder where she is, I check my phone and find out it's the middle of the night where she is

Cody was doing much better this morning, eating everything in sight. Talked to the vet, told him if he needed an assistant or anyone in the office, I was looking for a job He told me I had great instincts, had taken wonderful care of the horse and "got" What he was saying really well.

I put a cool towel on Cody's neck when I got home - hot and humid again. A while later, I checked on him and he'd been eating grass and the towel was over his face! Poor baby, I went and adjusted it. I was sitting on the stairs and he came up and used my leg to rub his forehead against. I thought he was going to walk up the deck stairs, and I would have to really apologize to Mr. D in Heaven who said he taught the horse to get to the deck. He didn't.

If the horse is okay, I may go to the C's for a fish dinner - their son brought back lots of fish from FL. Vet is trying to get meds for horse tomorrow. I think a fish dinner is a good idea, so am heading that way

My whine - WHY does it say rain is coming this way and we get a few drops?!?!?!? I want the humidity to disappear!!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-24-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Good Afternoon Hen House!

TB: I tell ya! Around here due to Jethro's stash piles a chicken could easily hide! Usually before it starts raining! Marvin and Martha Mae are already on the porch or in Marvin's pit area. Martha Mae was already inside, since enduring the storm where the tent pens all came crashing down on her back in the day, she doesn't do the outside thing during storms anymore! Here's pictures of that time! She survived all this! She had ran inside the tent pen when it started raining.

Amy: Mom usually goes to Dad's grave each week! She hasn't been recently due to the reasons I explained above!

TOD
Old 06-24-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Smart chickens!!

I went over to the C's, after feeling assured the horse was okay, for a fish fry. Yes, I do know better - ran off the road trying to make a call, hit a sign than put a whole in my bumper and smashed the passenger side of windshield.

Going to have the windshield taken care of tomorrow, bumper will have to wait.

Had a good time, but Mrs. C hasn't felt good all day, she was REALLY irritated, Mr. C was worried about her and I couldn't do anything with either of them and I wasn't there working, anyway, and everyone said "same old ****" so I left when it started pouring down rain. This, apparently, has been a part of their relationship for 68 years?!

Dinner was awesome, all animals are fed and the sun is now back out. All my gadgets are on low battery, so trying to find an extra charger.

Love to all!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-24-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Amy! We know better about SO many things! But it only takes that one time to catch up to us! You don't have the extra dollars to be tempting fate! Put that phone in the backseat or the glovebox! Don't get it out again until you get to your destination! Start making a habit of this and you'll learn to do it everytime you get in your car to drive somewhere!

My phone is on mute and in my purse until I get to where I'm going! I like my car and my body in the condition I left in when I get to where I'm going! I don't want to be the reason it changes! Can't help if someone else hits me though!

If you have a car charger, then use that to plug one of them up for awhile!

I tried to get Martha Mae out of her cage when I got up this afternoon to go outside for a little while. She flat out refused! She's molting right now and doesn't want Marvin to bother her. She was doing circles in her cage to avoid my hand reaching for her. LOL So I closed her up and gave her some goodies to eat later on.

Mom told us Sunday while we were out eating supper; "She got a call from the lady that worked with her at the Church during the Tornado supply run, they were being Honored for all their hard work! She doesn't know who is doing the Honoring though"! I'm sure we'll learn more later on! She's like a little kid that's been given her freedom again. Nothing slows her down anymore. I truly hope she finds a kind man to live her life out with! No one should be alone, unless they want to be! Mom has never lived alone until now.

TOD
Old 06-25-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Tod, glad you found Marvin! He would probably say he was NOT lost though. lol.
sounds like your mom is doing very well. Her church involvement is good for her, no doubt.

Amy I hope Cody recovers fully. Too many treats are not good for him, you need to tell him so! Hes gonna head butt you for it..lol. glad the kitties are getting along. nice for Mots to have a kitty family again.

TB. your place is so homey and comfy looking! I am so happy for you, to have what you need now. and to be able to go out to dinner, and feel independent, is priceless. you have a good heart, and I remember you giving and sharing what little you had at one point. how is the little boy neighbor doing? You were so kind to him at Christmas time.

Q is just a beauty.. and you took him in when everyone else was going to give up on him. and look at that face.. love for you, pure as anything on earth.

venus has been online, but must be very busy. I hope all is well with her too. she is very missed.

hope everyone has a good day,
hugs
chic
Old 06-25-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Good morning HH

hot and humid for the next two days, in the mid-80s with scattered thunderstorms.

(Lauren) thanks, after getting all the walls, furniture rugs cleaned it smells good in here too. How is your hubby doing?

(TOD) holy smoke, it's a miracle they made it out of their alive. There goes to show you the instinct animals have two survive. Where you live you have to make those pens like a fortress so they won't come down when you have bad weather.

(Amy) I'm glad that Cody is doing so much better. Glad you had a good time at the fish fry, suddenly I have an urge for flounder with plenty of tartar sauce on top. Even though you know how I feel about talking on the cell phone and driving, I'm glad that you are ok.

Sending my love for those who were missing in action.

Hugs to all
TB
Old 06-25-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Tb..actually he is doing well day to day with guidance,somehow this is hard
to explain to others unless they are dealing with his condition. I see the dysfunction
and the changes,unless I point out certain things to him..well life just doesn't
happen the same way it use to..for me,it is especially hard as I am always feeling
like a Nag..I don't want to be this way,however if I talk it out with him,all goes
well, yet I can see that he resents it.. My motive to him is this...Honey bunny..
(sorry for the affection part) if we want to stay in our home..we need to keep up
the upkeep of it, I need you to be the physical part such as lifting and carrying the
heavy stuff..I can do the other things..he does it as I wish it..as I am pretty weak
myself..i have to say to him..yes we eat well..now lets cut out certain things such
as fat .. we need you to be healthy and proactive. He complies..I know that he
relies on me alot..if he were alone Tb..he couldn't do what you do to make it work.

It is challenging..and some days, damn sad even though many think we have it all,
and wrapped up in a tidy package..not so.it is more difficult to keep what you have
and survive then most understand.At times I have nothing left other than being glad
the day is done.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Lauren - I know how dearly you love your hubby but I know, with me, when I feel like a nag it stresses me out, even though I know it's something that needs to be done.

Windshield is replaced. By the time I was on my way home, Bev called and said Cody was not doing well. I went to the vet's to pick up the meds that just came in. Vet called back, is not optimistic Gave him another shot, put liquid medicine under his tongue and got him to eat the paste medicine. Let me tell you, that was not easy as he was stumbling all around. I had a thick glove on the hand opening his mouth so I didn't get bit

Called the vet, Cody starts walking better? He also rearranged the stuff in the barn while I was gone today.

I know, he's old, he's sick and we're doing the best we can do but we still may have to put him down. My rent has been forgiven as I've been on horse duty and can't really leave here to get to Internet to apply for jobs. I haven't heard from the vet, lady wasn't in today so I will call back tomorrow.

TOD - So glad your mom is a busy bee. Dad works, works on the house, or reads the internet. I've tried to get him to get out and meet people, places he's been before, but can't force him.

Sorry I'm so self-centered lately. I have a lot of blessings and am grateful. Mots is up on the kitchen counter trying to help me type..sigh.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-25-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Lauren, I love your honest and open posts. It's life, isn't it? to do as you and hubs do each day. great days, good days, not so great days, tough days, but making it through them together, and unconditionally loving each other. I think you guys have it pretty darned wonderful...because of the unconditional love. I know you have your struggles. hugs.

Tod, you and Jethro are a stable force too. the chickens keep you both connected no matter what,, with their little selves to look after. I hope his hand is recovered from surgery and is serving him well.

Amy, I am so sorry about Cody, and I know this is tough for you. I wish they never had to get old. Whatever happens, he has been loved and spoiled and lived the life, you know? Praying he will rally and recover, and live some more good years.

Leelee, I hope you can get home soon, and that your time at work goes quickly. I know you have been away from home for quite a while now. hubs must be missing you lots.. bring home some kitties he can deal with baby kitty turds..lol

Live, hugs to you. Each time I clean my sink I think of you, shining no matter what. That is success, to me. I have been doing better. When my son is gone to his friends, I can clean this house, happily, and just make it glow. when he comes home and shuts his self in that room, I get down and cannot hardly do a thing. but I am working on that. I am pretending I am cleaning someone elses home...hahahaha.. I dont mind that, for some weird reason!

TB... cook us up something nice and Italian, wont you? I have an Italian casserole cook book, I love to collect cookbooks, and some of them look belisimo! *does that mean delicious, in Italian?

love to Jay, and all the HH'rs who haven't checked in in a while. come on in and roost a while!

love and hugs
Old 06-25-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Afternoon Hen House!

TB: You see all those blocks with the ropes on them? Jethro had the tents securely tied down. That's two large pop up tents put together! We had five sectioned off areas inside them for the kids. I keep all the kids separated so there isn't any fighting going on between them. Between the tents, skirting, netting, blocks, tarps, etc.? That's close to $800.00 there that got smashed to smithereens! What happened was two large limbs from trees on the opposite sides of the tent came crashing down on to the tents. One limb on it's way down hit another limb and both of them crashed on to the tent. It was caused by a lot of rain and strong winds. And to top the mess off! They were limbs from gumball trees. There were hundreds of gumballs on the ground by the time we got it all cleaned up! ARGH! I didn't know Martha Mae was still outside in the rain! And the tin roof on this room was like sitting inside a cement truck with the tank turning. So I didn't hear her squealing outside underneath all that stuff! Jethro heard her when he got home from work. He went out and released her. She made a mad dash for the door and straight into her cage. So now y'all know why she doesn't DO storms!

This will give you an idea on how far apart the trees were when the first limb came down. It's the tree on the right.

Jethro's in this picture! Mr Take care of business! Already got the chainsaw in hand and is cutting limbs off the larger limb.

That tarp in the back coming off my barn roof will look like a flying kite flapping in the wind when the wind gets to blowing strongly around here! UMP used to tease us about all the hooks and bungi cords we use around here to keep things anchored down. LOL

Chicory: Oh Marvin knows he wasn't lost! He just got caught out in the storm! So he picked a spot (wherever that was) and stayed still. The problem is though! If it had continued raining after the sun went down. He would have been stuck there all night long, unless we found him. And that would not have been a good thing! There are all sorts of critters roaming around the yard after dark that would love to make a meal out of him.

Jethro was out the other night with rifle and powerful flashlight looking for the pack of coyotes hollering close by. Magnum was with him. Magnum took off like a bullet and snatched a possum hiding behind a tree. He brought it back to Jethro's feet and dropped it. It was dead by the time he dropped it. I told Jethro he couldn't call him a "P/s/s/y" anymore! He agreed with me for a change. I told him to go get him a treat and give him lots of praise. He did just that!

TOD
Old 06-25-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

oh, good boy, Magnum! those possums are chicken killers, I read. I also read that some possums in Georgia can reach thirty pounds! yikes!

glad the chicks survived those storms. you do get some doozies out there in Arkansas.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

self-centered again - just talked to the vet. IF Cody makes it a week with treatment and doesn't improve, he recommends we put him down.

I'm a mess. I keep going out thtere, feeding him. Wish he would just lay down and I could snuggle with him, but it's not the way it works. He knows he is loved, Mr. D know that Bev and I are doing all we can do.

Just got a phone call from the other daughter who claims she is Cody's mama. I told her Cody was not doing well. She was saying she is NOT going to let us put the horse down. I let her have it. Told her SHE was not the one who has been taking care of Cody for 1-1/2 years . and I was hanging up on her. She's tried to call me back and I'm not answering her back. I talked to Bev, and she is fully supportive.

I'm going to have a cry-fest, then go to bed.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-25-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

so sorry Amy I'm sure she loves Cody, and you are all upset. Maybe she needs to come and see for herself what he is going through. If she really cares, she would be there, if she could, or would not want him to suffer.
Its awful when our furbabies get so sick. NO one wants to let them go..it hurts too bad. Maybe she sees Cody as the last connection to her dad? I am sure you do too...
sorry sweetie. you will all do the right thing for Cody. this has been a hard time for all of you, especially you who are working so hard and worrying so much about him, and doing the actual physical care of him during his illness.

its not helpful for you that she puts that guilt on you. she may come around and understand soon.

love and hugs.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

(((((Amy)))) I'm so sorry for Cody. I'm grateful Cody has you and know he's in the kind gentle hands of yours. I am betting Mr D is smiling, knowing you're still on his team and still loving and caring for him and his interests. ((((chicory))) gave you some good insight and her love too!

Please try to take care of you, too.

Much love from Lenina
Old 06-25-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I am betting Mr D is smiling, knowing you're still on his team and still loving and caring for him and his interests.

Leelee, that's pretty special, isn't it? Our Amy is one fine woman. You can count on her, all the way.

love
chic