Notices

Hen House Talk- All are Welcome, Part 56

Old 06-26-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Good morning HH

Hot and humid all night, was in the 70s. It’s going to be hot and humid in the mid-80s with some showers today. Our first hot and humid night, no more sweating bullets from the heat. We all slept comfortably last night, as the new AC works like a champ.

(Lauren) I’m glad he’s doing fine, and so are you. It’s good that you too communicate and understand each other. I’m sure he takes the nagging lighthearted. As for me, I have that nagging voice in my head always telling me things need to get done. Get moving. LOL

(Amy) I’m so sorry to hear about Cody, I know the special bond you have with the horse. I know how painful it must be for you, creatures who are part of our heart suffer like that and there is not much one can do but wait one way or another. I know you’ll do the right thing if the time comes. Big hugs.

(TOD) What a mess, there goes to show you when mother nature gets pissed off nothing can stand in her way. Did you rebuild pens? I’m glad the chicks are smart enough to run for cover when the going gets tough. Magnum is earning his keep by protecting his territory. Good doggie.

(chicory) Haven’t been cooking much lately, went to Wendy’s last night and had their summer salad, which included strawberries. I wasn’t too crazy about the strawberries in the salad, but the grilled chicken and salad hit the spot. How’s everything on your side of the world? have you adopted any new cats?

(Lenina) How you doing my dear friend, are there any future plans for new kittens?

Did you read this, Colorado pot DUIs has doubled since it became legal January of this year. Thursday was Tax Day, their first deadline to hand over the taxes they had collected during their inaugural month of sales. Taxes could add more than $100 million a year to the state, far more than earlier estimates. Crazy isn’t it.

Heading out to the post office, stopping at my favorite place to have some breakfast, have a few chores to take care of, be back later.

Hugs to all
TB
Old 06-26-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I don't know why but this song always makes me smile. It's just so beautiful.

Hugs
TB
Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

TOD-YAY Magnum! The parasite Cody has, we think, is from possum feces which were probably somewhere in the pasture.

TB- I'm not a fan of fruit in my salads unless it's a fruit salad, but I do love grilled chicken in salads.

Mr. C is very depressed today, no longer wants to live. I've got him reclining in his chair, hoping he'll feel better when he wakes up.

As far as Bev's sister, another B, both literally and figuratively, she can't come see the horse unless Bev gives her gas money, can't pay her rent, the one son lives with them and spends their money on cigarettes, beer and who knows what else.

I know she loves him, was there when he was born, but she's not there every day. It's her sons that stole so much stuff from Mr. D when he was confused. She has more issues than most magazines.

I am sure Mr. D is smiling and shaking his head with a big grin on his face.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-26-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

No more cats for me TB,, but Least came and adopted my little LIly! isnt that awesome?! drove three hours to do it

amy, hope Cody is better today. prayers continue.

love to all.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Good Afternoon Hen House!

There's nothing like waking up to a tiny little Maria face looking at me, going cu cu cu cu in her little tiny voice! LOL She's afraid of storms and it was supposed to be stormy today. I left Jethro a note telling him I had her bed ready and to bring her in before he left for work. I woke up when the door opened, he handed her to me. As soon as she landed in my arms she started pulling at my arm with her beak to be covered up! I put her on her spot, covered her up and laid back down. Jethro grabbed the covers and tucked me back into bed then left! To be so hard headed and stubborn? He has a heart of gold and loves deeply! And Man does he love my momma! LOL She only has to call and ask for help! He comes quickly to her aide! I LOVE it!

Yes Magnum earns his keep! Mom was here the other day for a visit and when she saw Magnum she said; "He's huge! He hasn't lost any weight"! I laughed and told her he actually has lost a lot of weight! He's massive in size and that alone keeps ppl from just walking into the yard. Although more ppl are afraid of our Rooster than they are Magnum! LOL And usually the both of them will follow us out to see who's at the gate.

Jethro found a large feather yesterday when he brought the trash cans back to the house. I said it was a wild Turkey feather and Jethro said it's a Hawk feather! I'll have to do some research on it to figure out what it came from! If I'm not mistaken it's illegal to own anything from a Hawk. Only Indians are allowed to use the feathers and claws from them.

Amy: Cody has lived a long good life! I'm sure he misses Mr. D! Mr. D is with him right now in spirit. Cody will let you know when he's ready to go. Or hopefully he will slip away at night when you're asleep. Animals do that a lot. Mr. D will be riding him again and they'll be together once again. It's sad the daughter has lost time with Cody. I too lost time with the horse I had in WI due to other circumstances. I've heard of ppl swimming in waters where they've swallowed beaver urine and got really sick from it. They were even close to death because of it. And there's also the mouse/rat urine on top of cans we buy from the store that we swallow when it's on top of soda cans. So many things to beware of.

I received my new BP meds today! So we'll see if this is the one that works! I had to stop the last one I've been on due to it was draining me of potassium. I was taking supplements, but it was making my muscles just ache. The doctor said she's heard this comment a lot from many other patients.

Jethro's home early! JB shut the place down early! ARGH! Jethro said JB is in a "mood" - AGAIN! If anyone needs to be on BP meds, it's JB! He's overweight and stressed to the max. He has the BP meds, but won't take them. He's been warned by all of us what can happen if he doesn't take them. That's all we can do!

Chicory: Yes Jethro and I are two peas in a Pod! This video will help to describe how we are together!

TOD
Old 06-26-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I love your well organized, tidy and clean home, TB. I am also jealous in a nice way cause that is what I want but it eludes me.
I hate to admit to Chicory but I relapsed on the clean sinks, had a biological depression, I hope I have hit bottom with it over the last couple of days. But that sink thing is like dominoes, first the dishes start getting stacked into the sink, then the counter and then the countertop becomes cluttered and the clutter spread to my lr table and laundry isn't getting done.
I started today with the office/hangout and washed down everything in it, David vaccuumed and I still have to wash the floor. Cleaned the light fixture but not walls or ceiling, I don't think they really need it yet. But I do love the smell of Murphy's oil soap.
Need to take the oscillating fan apart and clean it too, it's a dust bunny.

In the class for diabetes I noticed in the materials they handed out that 30 minutes of housecleaning = 30 minutes of walking. oh yeah, I can get behind that so I requested that David vacuum very thoroughly.

Tomorrow afternoon we have another class with the VA on nutrition.

I love a strawberry spinach salad but always give chicken from salads to David. Picky about my poultry.

Lauren, my parents have a beautiful relationship and it is my dad's turn to care for my mom. She took care of him for over 50 years. Their love is inspiring as is yours.

My son-in-law has high blood pressure too and refuses to treat it and take it seriously

Sending thoughts to you for a job and for Cody, Amy.

I think the insulating we did last year is making a huge difference, It's been easy so far to keep the house comfortable. I do like chilly a/c but not the price so we have been able to be comfortable running the a/c only part of the day.

hugs to Jay, Norty, Lenina and all other HH'ers. Be well.

T.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

i liked that video and song, Tod. thanks for sharing it. miss the country. glad you and jethro are happy and doing well. and momma too.

Live, its ok. you will get back to shining that sink. I have been pretending its someone elses house, and that works for me. I get bored with my own place, cleaning it that is.

tired tonight. gonna crash soon. five comes early!

love and hugs, hh'rs
Old 06-26-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Live: If there's one task I despise above all others! It's washing dishes! I've been trying here lately to wash each dish as it's dirtied! It has helped to keep the kitchen clean and dishes from piling up! If I fall behind on it! It seems to pile up quickly! And then the stacking continues from there until it's a huge mess again! By washing each dish as it's dirtied has worked greatly for keeping it all in check! And it's less time consuming and saves on the use of water! Even Jethro will take the time to wash his glass or dish as he dirties it! Woot Woot! Between the chickens dishes and our dishes it can get out of hand quickly around here! With the way my back is, it kills my back to stand at the sink for a long time. A clean dish at a time prevents me from having to endure it for a long time!

Chicory: Jethro and I have said many times: "We are lucky we got each other back"! I'm the one that introduced him to Chinese Silkies! LOL Or rather they introduced themselves to him. We were sitting outside at my daughter's house where I had moved to when I left the XH. I had around eight Silkies there with me. We were watching them run around the backyard and when it started getting dark they all came up to us. Four of them jumped up on Jethro's outstretched legs and settled in for the night. I was surprised this happened. Chicken's don't do strangers! They always ran from my XH! They always say; Animals are a good judge of character! I guess it's the truth! My mom's outside dog always bit my XH whenever he came over! Smart dog! LOL

Live: I fully understand not having the desire to finish projects needing to be done! Before I got on the thyroid medicine I didn't want to do much of anything. I saw a special on "The 700 Club" the other night where a woman was talking about the T-3 factor in reference to our thyroid. It was quite interesting what she had to say! I also started taking sublingual B12. It's given me an extra boost and is controlling my appetite too. My SD is the one that told me to be sure to get the sublingual B12. She's studying to be a nurse, so I took her advise on it. So far so good on taking them!

I gave mom another bottle of my cactus juice when she was here. She told me she gives her little dog - Sissy - her little bit each evening and she sips a little of it herself. I laughed and told her she could drink more of it. I'll give her another bottle! She said; "The problem is? She likes the taste of it and doesn't want to drink it all in one day! Sissy laps her's up and looks at mom for more too"! OMG! LOL She talks about all the benefits she gets from drinking it, so I'll continue giving it to her until she tells me to stop!

Chicory: There's no way I could fake my house being someone elses while cleaning! I'm like you though. I'd rather clean someone else's house than my own. My biggest problem is having the space to put things in! I told Jethro at wal-mart the other night while buying him new jeans. He needs to go thru his clothes and thin them out. He keeps getting new clothes and there's no room to put them in his dresser or hang them in his closet because of all the stuff he won't/can't wear anymore. So they end up folded and lying all over the place. ARGH! He's got coats and jackets hanging in his closet that he's had for 30+ years!

I better check on supper! Jethro's starving and I told him to take the bread out of the oven and munch on that while the main dish finishes cooking. I hope he leaves me a slice of bread!

TOD
Old 06-27-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

You guys wash dishes? Not me, no way Jose. As long as mankind keeps making paper plates and plastic forks there will never be a dirty plate or utensils in my sink. lol

I use ultra paper plates. At Wally world, a pack of 80 plates is around five dollars.

A pack of 100 heavy-duty plastic forks at Wally world is around four dollars.

And have you seen the price of paper towels lately? One role of the popular brand is around four dollars. That's insane, why spend that kind of money when you can pick up a roll of quality paper towel at Wally world for one dollar.

But all joking aside, I prefer using the disposable rather with my handicap than to stand in front of the sink to wash a few dishes. It just makes common sense for me.

TB
Old 06-27-2014, 02:29 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Originally Posted by Timebuster View Post
You guys wash dishes? Not me, no way Jose. As long as mankind keeps making paper plates and plastic forks there will never be a dirty plate or utensils in my sink. lol

I use ultra paper plates. At Wally world, a pack of 80 plates is around five dollars.

A pack of 100 heavy-duty plastic forks at Wally world is around four dollars.

And have you seen the price of paper towels lately? One role of the popular brand is around four dollars. That's insane, why spend that kind of money when you can pick up a roll of quality paper towel at Wally world for one dollar.

But all joking aside, I prefer using the disposable rather with my handicap than to stand in front of the sink to wash a few dishes. It just makes common sense for me.

TB
SOOOO you are saying? You don't cook? Pots and pans and the large spoons, spatula's, etc. are used during cooking! Do those not have to be washed?

Jethro and I generally use paper plates to eat off of! But we use real silverware to eat with. Kind of hard to cut meat with a plastic knife!

TOD
Old 06-27-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I microwave everything, on paper plates

TB
Old 06-27-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Originally Posted by Timebuster View Post
I microwave everything, on paper plates

TB

I for one KNOW better!

TOD
Old 06-27-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Live: I just finished washing the few dishes I had dirty from cooking supper! As well as the chicken dishes. Took me about five minutes to get them done! Kitchen is now clean and I'll be getting up to a clean kitchen w/o the clutter of stacked dishes! I used to be real bad about leaving my slimfast shake glasses sitting in the sink full of water. Now I take the few seconds to wash it and sit it on the drain towel.

I had Molly outside about two hours ago. She was eating her grass and then all of a sudden went into full alert mode and started making her warning sound. I hit the yard with my super duper flashlight and saw a RAT jumping across the yard. It's smaller than the last one I used to see. I called Magnum over to me and he went on the search for it. I heard cans falling on the porch. I grabbed Molly and set her inside the porch room. Then I went searching for it. It's chewed a hole in the bag holding all the canned corn cans. ARGH! Time to get the poison back out and set a trap for killing it. I checked the traps in the chicken bedroom closet earlier and there was a small mouse stuck to one of them. Good Grief! All the rain is pushing them towards our home.

We have an escapee from prison running around right now. He's been on the loose for five days now. He killed his wife years ago. He had one year to go before he went before the Parole board! He's been seen on home cameras trying to bust in doors and holding a shotgun to boot!

In another town there's been a theft of a high dollar front and back loader! The two men drove it off the lot across the highway and into a field. Never to be seen again! About a $200,000.00 piece of equipment! Yikes!

Okay! Time to put Molly to bed, get Maria's spot ready on the bed, take care of Mr. Cotton and then I can take a shower! Shew! Then it's bedtime for Sarge! LOL

TOD
Old 06-27-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in before I go to work. I, too, wash dishes as I use them. Dad never could get that concept, though. He's taken all the time up from the kitchen, which sounds like quite a task as it was 2 layers.

I also agree about cleaning someone else's house. Bratkin and I wished we could switch houses to clean, the other day. I also use paper plates as much as possible, but I like real silverware

Cody is doing better, we are cautiously optimistic. He's been on the meds for what vet thinks he has and literally eating like a horse

I have been able to rest and read my Nook for the past 2 nights and that's nice.

Gotta scoot and head to the C's.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-27-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Good morning HH

Much cooler today, high in the mid-70s. Tonight is going to be in the mid-50s good sleeping weather.

(chicory) My next-door neighbor cat had kittens, with a big smile on her face she asked me if I wanted one of the kittens. It was hard for me to say no. I would, but, the two have now are a handful. Happy to hear little Lily got a forever home.

(Amy) That's good news, keeping my fingers crossed that the medication does the trick and he makes it through and fully recovers.

(Live) I always kept a tidy house, no matter where I lived. It's much tougher to keep it clean now for obvious reasons, but after spending all that money to get it back up to the way it looks now, I'll be darned if I let it go back to the way it used to look before. I try to do a little every day, like dusting and vacuuming one area at a time. There was no way I was able to do my laundry on a consistent basis. So now every two weeks I get my laundry picked up and delivered. Now no more stinky linen and underwear piling up and stinking up the place. And I find it much cheaper than actually going to the laundromat and doing the laundry myself. My hardest chore around here is changing the litter box. All I have to do is remember living with the ammonia smell because I didn't have the money to change the litter and that motivates me to change the litter on a consistent basis now. And the cats a much happier too. Oh yes they are days when I'm not motivated to clean, but I read somewhere that if you put the most daunting task of your day at the beginning of your day, it will get done quicker and you’ll end up enjoying the rest of your day knowing that you've taken care of the biggest, most overwhelming job. The best part? You get to go through the rest of your day with a wonderful sense of accomplishment.

(TOD) You need to hire the Turtleman. Despite his "Turtleman" nickname, Brown catches all types of nuisance animals, including raccoon's, skunks, snakes, venomous spiders, and possums. And he works for practically nothing.

Hugs to all
TB
Old 06-27-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hi ya ((((((henhousers))))))

It is beautiful day here. I really must try to get out of the house. I have errands and we are expecting a weekend guest. She's attending a seminar at USC and staying in that area. And we are really looking forward to dinner and the evening with her. I don't know what to wear these days. She's pretty causal I'm hoping we can find a good vegetarian place as I'm really making efforts to eat more ethically. A friend told me about a shop/cafe that makes a Reuben sandwich "to take to heaven" and I'm curious. I like a good Reuben but its hard to imagine it without real pastrami and real cheese. LOL She claims it's vegan...

(((((TB)))) I'm keeping plenty busy with work. I would love to get some kittens. I would prefer to be home for a nice chunk of time to get them acclimated and in a rhythm with the house. I would need to get one of those self cleaning litter boxes as Hubs tends to "forget" unpleasant tasks in my absence. LOL Plus, I would really like to be living elsewhere, where we might have a patio or a balcony so they could have a fresh air space for lounging and playing.

((((Live))))) yes, I love a good spinach salad too. I hate making salads though. Hate making them! Why I don't really know. maybe it's all the washing of lettuce ad scrubbing of the veggies. And tomatoes are just generally not so tasty since they've been genetically altered to sell, not eat! And I agree with you...if I can keep the kitchen tidy, the rest follows. Wish Hubs would pick up the pace and do more cleaning while I'm gone. He will get the big pieces, I'm grateful for that. But I dare not look too closely or I'd go screaming into the night. LOL

((((Amy)))) You are not being selfish when you share your days with us. We aren't there to see what goes on so you have to tell us. I think we want to read what goes on with each other. that's why we're here,right? You've always had such a full plate. my days roll by with minimal fuss so I have less to talk about. So please honey, vent, share with us!

((((chicory))) The moon is in Cancer now which sometimes marks turbulence in the home. But it's usually a good energy if difficult. It's changes, settling, etc. And you deserve to have a settled home. You are such a kind, gentle soul and so creative! I wish I had your talents for homemaking. Ive got a confetti cake mix to whip up for the weekend! I also got a yellow cake mix and some chocolate fudge frosting.

my bestie is acting really odd. I'm so worried for her. I've known her for close to 40 years. She not returning my calls and only texting a cryptic few words. I know she is not a good typist and hates talking on the phone much but she's always been up for a good jabberfest once or twice a month.

Well, on that note,I should get my show on the road. I have lots of extremely boring household chores staring me in the face. I could do with some beauty maintenance also. maybe I'll dredge up a cute dress for tomorrow. We are going to a science museum thingy and there's a political function I want to attend. So I have busy weekend and need a smart frock for prancing around. Still looking for red shoes too.

Oh and Im getting a new wedding ring set. I went through my jewelry and have a few stones that would love to be worn more often so Hubs is designing a ring. Frankly, I'd love a trinity ring with yellow, white and rose gold with an engraving inside the gold band.

OK my darlings! Love to all and extra love to our missing hens and roosters. (((norty)))) I have a friend in Anchorage right now. She's touring a gentle schedule and seeing the sights. looking forward to seeing her pics.

Lenina
Old 06-27-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Typing on my phone which I tire of easily.

I have some basic household things to do like dusting, but because I never know when Bev will drop by, bed is always made up and dishes washed.

Lenina - I didn't know Mr. D had a ring with diamonds, but he did and Bev got it made into a ring for her and it's gorgeous.

Cody is okay, did better getting the medicine under his tongue while holding a full carrot in front of him (all I had was baby carrots) but didn't quite get all the paste down him. He got several carrots for treats.

I've done something to a muscle around my right shoulder blade. Sharp pain, hurts when I turn my head to the right. There's no telling, but it's not constant and I'm taking ibuprofen for it.

May be mowing the front yard, this weekend, as it's about 2 feet high again. Cody is taking care of the backyard

Love to all!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-27-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Good Afternoon Hen House!

Amy: Good news on Cody feeling better! Can you tie a long rope on Cody's halter so he can eat the front yard down for ya? I see a lot of that being done around here! Everytime I read about someone "dusting"! It reminds me of the older couple I lived with during the time I spent at Ft. Sill, OK while there for Dessert Storm. She used her vacuum cleaner hose with the brush attachment for dusting her furniture! LOL She was such a funny character!

TB: That "Turtleman" is a wild crazy man! LOL I've seen many a show he's done. He might be crazy, but he's actually a very nice man! He's done many a job out of the kindness of his heart. I got a good laugh out of the last show I watched where he was sick and his momma made him eat the "awful" homemade chicken soup! At least with his Reality show we know it's for Real! Doesn't leave us wondering if things actually exist! Hmmmmmm

Lenina: Is Rose Gold the same as Black Hills Gold? I don't think I've ever heard of Rose Gold before! Wishing you and your Bestie good wishes!

Poor Maria is going nuts in the living room now! She was on the back of the couch last night with Jethro sitting there with his arm on the back of the couch where she was snuggled in the crook of it. She all of a sudden stood up, neck stretched straight out, warning sounds commenced, while looking down at the floor beside the couch back. I searched all around to see if I could find what it was. I couldn't find a thing she was alerted to. But after finding the mouse later on stuck to the trap. I'm figuring she saw the mouse. Now she's afraid to be in the living room on the floor. And when sitting on the back of the couch she's constantly on alert and looking around. I've turned on more lights for her, so she'll feel easier at being on the floor. Hopefully! She's whining now - her; I want to go outside whine! LOL So must get my socks and shoes on to take her out before dark!

If y'all didn't know? When cooking a hamburger patty! Press a small indention in the center with your thumb. This keeps the patty from shrinking! If cooking in a skillet? Add a little water to the skillet. This keeps the grease away from the meat!

TOD
Old 06-28-2014, 12:36 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

TOD,

rose gold is 14 Karat gold with a bit of copper added. I don't like the real pinky gold, I just like a touch of pink as it goes better with my skin tone. I love yellow gold but it just isn't set off as well against my skin. I usually wear white gold or silver. Also in my eye, the rose gold sets off the color of white stones or diamonds best. My personal taste. I don't know if that's the same as Black Hills gold. Might be, is that the same as the Black Hills in the Dakotas? I could see that having more copper.

I'm watching "The Science of Stupid" on National GeoGraphic, I don't think it's funny watching people fall down or get hurt. Must take a special sort of sick to find that amusingly. I liked the Naked Archeologist better. At least the Archeologist was educational and the guy wasn't really naked either. The Stupid guy is just hateful. And I've already hit the next channel button.

Live, I know I had something to say to you....dont remember what.

I can smell brewing coffee. I have no idea where it's coming from. No one is up in our building.

Well, I guess I should go to bed. Watching "Dragnet" on TV, it's a show about a drinking cop. Makes me so glad today we have EAP programs and it's OK to get help.

Amy, I sure hope Cody continues to perk up.

OK I really need to go to bed!

Much love from Lenina
Old 06-28-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Lenina: Thanks for answering me back! I've recently bought some new necklaces! There is always a stand or two outside the cafeteria at the VAH where ppl are selling stuff. I bought two for myself and one for my granddaughter! As of November! I'll have two granddaughters and three grandsons! She's due around November 11th.

Stepdaughter and I are getting along wonderfully! But I'm peeved at her and Jethro for something she snuck inside our home when I wasn't looking! Dear old Dad is supposed to be trying to sell it for her! I told Jethro SHE's the one that F'ed up by buying it and SHE's the one that needs to get rid of it! It caused a huge screaming argument between me and Jethro. We get along so well until his daughter or mother causes us grief!

All the kids have been taken care of! Shew! What a job! While I had Molly outside and then Mr. Cotton later on. The damned Rat made an appearance each time. Poor Magnum is running himself out of breath trying to catch it.

I'm off to the shower and then to sit with Jethro for awhile after he gets up in a little bit. Then me and Maria are hitting the sack!

TOD