Personality Type and Recovery

Old 10-18-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I never thought of myself as introverted but there I am, Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Perceiving....... Profile: INFP

Kinda makes sense. I've always been a dreamer.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Fastenbulbus, the descriptor Introvert refers to from whence you draw your energy. You can be a very sociable person but still be an introvert, if that makes sense.

Fitz, I've found it to be true that I have tested much the same over the years, at least on the DISC assessment (another one for all you self-knowledge junkies). It struck me as an ok thing that my preferences on MBTI were all moderate - I took that to mean that I am able to adapt my approach depending on the circumstances.

A younger me would have said I was milquetoast
Old 10-19-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
ENFP here...
ps Mycool...this is hilarious
Used to teach it at the University. Lots of J's here. P's probably forget to post.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
and while I don't buy into all of this...this from "portrait of an ENFP" makes sense to me from a self-recovered standpoint:
They have a strong need to be independent, and resist being controlled or labelled. They need to maintain control over themselves, but they do not believe in controlling others. Their dislike of dependence and suppression extends to others as well as to themselves.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

They have a strong need to be independent, and resist being controlled or labelled. They need to maintain control over themselves, but they do not believe in controlling others. Their dislike of dependence and suppression extends to others as well as to themselves.
Oh boy. I can relate to that too!!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

INTJ here.

My profession fits that. Hmmmm.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:14 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

It’s fascinating to see all the INFJs who have responded to this thread. Given the fact that this personality type is only 1 to 3% of the population, it's a remarkable ‘coincidence’.

5 INFJs (I am also one) turned up in a sample of 15 people who posted to this thread so far (I’m not including thepatman, as he did not identify nor paperdolls as she tested differently on different occasions). That’s 33%! Perhaps INFJs are over represented among alcoholics, or among SR members or this might even be a case of what Carl Jung called synchronicity.

Carl Jung’s work was the basis for the Myers Briggs personality test.
Anyone want to guess what Carl Jung’s personality type was………….. you guessed it, INFJ

Jung also wrote a very interesting letter to Bill Wilson in January of 1961. I think those of you regularly posting in secular connections are a part of what Jung called “the protective wall of the human community”. You can find the letter here if interested. A.A. History -- Dr. Carl Jung's Letter To Bill Wilson, Jan 30, 1961
Old 10-20-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

awuh, I find this fascinating as well. It's an odd and wonderful thing, recognizing that I am what I am, an unusual "type," and then finding myself in company!

This sort of feels like astrology, only not. The more I read, ponder and observe, the more this stuff is making sense to me. Like this:

from INFJ Profile: The INFJ under stress may fall prey to various forms of immediate gratification. Awareness of extraverted sensing is probably the source of the "SP wannabe" side of INFJs. Many yearn to live spontaneously; it's not uncommon for INFJ actors to take on an SP (often ESTP) role.
This is definitely true of me, though in my case the role I take on nowadays is ISTP, perhaps because this is the type of my SO and I do admire/envy his style. In my view, it's rather selfish, but in a good way (for the most part). He knows what he likes, he doesn't question what he feels, and that's that. How cool would it be to actually BE that way!

And of course, it's the tendency to "fall prey to immediate gratification" that landed me in this pickle with the beast. Somehow, it's comforting to understand that there's some logic to this.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
and while I don't buy into all of this..
Of course! I went to the ENFP portrait to find the part you quoted yourself - you resist being labelled.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

That is so true about the ENFPs, Obladi - who are you calling an alcoholic, Buster?
Old 10-20-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
It’s fascinating to see all the INFJs who have responded to this thread. Given the fact that this personality type is only 1 to 3% of the population, it's a remarkable ‘coincidence’.

5 INFJs (I am also one) turned up in a sample of 15 people who posted to this thread so far (I’m not including thepatman, as he did not identify nor paperdolls as she tested differently on different occasions). That’s 33%! Perhaps INFJs are over represented among alcoholics, or among SR members or this might even be a case of what Carl Jung called synchronicity.

Carl Jung’s work was the basis for the Myers Briggs personality test.
Anyone want to guess what Carl Jung’s personality type was………….. you guessed it, INFJ

Jung also wrote a very interesting letter to Bill Wilson in January of 1961. I think those of you regularly posting in secular connections are a part of what Jung called “the protective wall of the human community”. You can find the letter here if interested. A.A. History -- Dr. Carl Jung's Letter To Bill Wilson, Jan 30, 1961
Yes, it is fascinating to find so many INFJs in one place. I have never experienced this before. We are so rare. (Of course, people don't go around announcing their personality type, either, so maybe I've known more than I realize).

Interesting that Jung was an INFJ. I read somewhere that Jesus and Ghandi were, too (of course, this would just be a guess, like guessing the IQs of people long dead).

You make an interesting point about the "protective wall of the human community". I do think community is important, or can be, for people going through a crisis or learning to walk a different path. I've found social support helpful at many junctures in my life: when I quit drinking, when I got divorced, when my mother was diagnosed with Aspergers' and then Alzheimers, I've used support groups of one kind or another. Introvert though I am, I've found the experience and comfort of others to be so important.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Perhaps it's INJFdar that led me (us) to this corner of the forum.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Perhaps it's INJFdar that led me (us) to this corner of the forum.
Good one, Obladi!
Old 10-20-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Yes, in line with Obladi ‘s thought I have an explanation for all the INFJs in this thread.

Keep in mind that this personality type is naturally inclined towards helping others. Most who post in the secular connections forum are not inclined to attend AA meetings. AVRT, for example, is a comparatively solitary approach to sobriety. Non AA INFJs, seeking an outlet for their inclination to be helpful, find that SR provides this and end up being over represented in this forum.

Even this however does not seem to fully explain the 33% figure which is thousands of times more likely than chance. (Can anyone do the math?)

Obladi, I find that INFJs do tend to attract each other. Several of my good friends are INFJs (far more than is likely by chance).

Onlythetruth, I believe that this "protective wall of the human community" is very important to almost all who are recovering. Yet for those regularly visiting secular connections forum most of all. You folks who help others here deserve much credit.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Ok you guys have screwed me, I'm rereading my personality books what a way to spend a day, I should have a personality instead
Old 10-20-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Funny thing i may be the biggest Introvert in the world but at a major conference the keynote did not show so I took the mic and winged it. We are capable of anything. Really a stand up comic was my dream.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I'll bet you killed, Fitz. Goodonya. That must have been a blast.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Of course! I went to the ENFP portrait to find the part you quoted yourself - you resist being labelled.

lolol! Good one Obladi.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
Funny thing i may be the biggest Introvert in the world but at a major conference the keynote did not show so I took the mic and winged it. We are capable of anything. Really a stand up comic was my dream.
You do kinda remind me of Carlin.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Are the t-shirts ready yet?
I'm dying to know what they say.