Personality Type and Recovery

Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

My partner is ISTP. We are not "supposed" to be compatible.

But what's working for us is that I am INFP/J
I am so in love that I want to understand how he perceives the world. He is so ISTP that understanding isn't important, actiion is.

Because of his example (and Robby's coaching), I've slowly come around to what it means to "just do it" and leave the self-doubt and navel contemplation on the side.

It's not easy, but it's pretty simple.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I'm an ISTJ...

I so wanted to be what you guys were lol
Old 01-07-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
Used to teach it at the University. Lots of J's here. P's probably forget to post.
I remembered, lol. INFP.

Cool thread. All these types makes my head explode but I like the idea of using it to help with recovery choices and how AV might choose to attack, too.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

MTN, be careful what you wish for!

Lyoness, reading about these types has been helpful in accepting my own type (as I said), but it's also helped quite a lot with my understanding of other people in my circle. It's very interesting, this stuff. Not like astrology like I always thought it was!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:06 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
MTN, be careful what you wish for!
Haha! To be honest as I only got given my personality type and have no extra info on it, I don't really understand what it means anyway.

It could have said you are a 2 legged horse with a pink tail who likes windsurfing and I still would have thought - ohhhh ok then
Old 01-14-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

INFP, here. Just found this thread and look forward to reading it when I'm not on my iPhone.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Hi All,
I'm also an INFJ. I can't recall ever meeting another INFJ. Sheer craziness, but I love it.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

First taking a personality test six years ago I was INTJ.
Three years ago...still an INTJ.
Today...still solidly and INTJ.
I can think my way into, out of, and around everything.
Rationalize everything. So it makes sense to me.
Problem being, what makes sense isn't always rational.
Addiction is such irrational thinking, and yet, makes such perfect sense at the core, why it exists.
So I'm here, looking for possible new input to consider. Always willing to consider the alternatives, so long as they make sense.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Obladi, I was so glad to discover this post as I have been doing a lot of reading and believe that individual differences call for different recovery approaches. I am an INFP too and was previously in AA, which wasn't working for me. (I do appreciate that it works for others!)

Let's start with breaking down your Meyer's Briggs Personality Type:
I-Introverted (Too much time spent with others drains you of energy. You gain energy by drawing on your own reserves.) Thoughts: Too much time spent in face to face meetings might work against your recovery.
N - Intuitive (You tend to make decisions based on intuition or gut feelings.) Thoughts: You have an internal locus of control (listen to self rather than a group mind). Please view this article: Tom Horvath, Ph.D.: If Not AA, Then What? SMART Recovery and the AA Alternatives
F- Feeling (You process your reality more from a feelings perspective than a thoughts perspective. Thoughts: You might do well with a recovery approach which addresses your needs for an emotional life but which at the same time balances you out. (I think you might have been trying to balance yourself out by trying out AVRT but, at the same time, it may not have addressed your emotional needs.)
P- Perceptive (You prefer a more flexible lifestyle to a structured one.) Thoughts: You are highly creative and could do well to develop your own program, which integrates a number of tools and ideas from different recovery approaches.

While I take trait theories (categorising people into squares) with a grain of salt, I believe that this offers some important clues about what you will respond to most.

You already identified that you were having trouble connecting AVRT because it wasn't hitting you on an emotional level (important for an intuitive, feeling type.) Yet on another level, you hoped that AVRT might cut through your barriers - because you might have sensed that your preference for feeling/perceiving was holding you back from cutting through the bull____?

I am currently looking for recovery alternatives myself and this post has helped me to expand my ideas. While I will not put too much emphasis upon which `category' I fall into, this is giving me direction. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by CommunityDawn View Post
Obladi, I was so glad to discover this post as I have been doing a lot of reading and believe that individual differences call for different recovery approaches. I am an INFP too and was previously in AA, which wasn't working for me. (I do appreciate that it works for others!)
Hi Dawn, so good to see you. One of the unexpected benefits of posting on this board with such a wide reach is encountering others who can relate!

Let's start with breaking down your Meyer's Briggs Personality Type:
I-Introverted (Too much time spent with others drains you of energy. You gain energy by drawing on your own reserves.) Thoughts: Too much time spent in face to face meetings might work against your recovery.
Exactly! I love people - some more than others - but I do find time with them to be eventually exhausting. When I have gone to meetings in the past, I found that I became overwhelmed quickly. Not that I don't empathize with others; I think I empathize "too much," if you know what I mean.

N - Intuitive (You tend to make decisions based on intuition or gut feelings.) Thoughts: You have an internal locus of control (listen to self rather than a group mind). Please view this article: Tom Horvath, Ph.D.: If Not AA, Then What? SMART Recovery and the AA Alternatives.
Yep, I started this journey on the SMART board. It was a good place for a time, but circumstances conspired to prevent me from feeling "safe" posting there much. It is true that I feel that the best way to make my decisions is to go with my gut.

F- Feeling (You process your reality more from a feelings perspective than a thoughts perspective. Thoughts: You might do well with a recovery approach which addresses your needs for an emotional life but which at the same time balances you out. (I think you might have been trying to balance yourself out by trying out AVRT but, at the same time, it may not have addressed your emotional needs.)]
Dead on. AVRT rings exactly true with me with the exception of the piece where you wipe your hands and move on. "Decision made! Done! What's next?" That doesnt' feel right for me.

It's a funny thing to figure out how to balance - "knowing" the answer immediately but still having this "feeling" stuff. I think there is a way to do it and I think I'm getting there... just need to step outside of my comfort zone a bit more and learn to cast aside the "shoulds" at times to allow myself to receive support that helps me to move forward.

P- Perceptive (You prefer a more flexible lifestyle to a structured one.) Thoughts: You are highly creative and could do well to develop your own program, which integrates a number of tools and ideas from different recovery approaches.
I don't think of myself as creative or particularily flexible, but I actually do live my life pretty muchby the seat of my pants. I guess that's "flexible." But yeah, I think INF types may have a particular need to "take what works" from a variety of approaches. The hard part is in actually developing a synthesized and consistent "program" doing this. It's lovely going with the ebb and flow and all that, but at some point the pedal has to hit the metal, the pot needs to be pissed in or gotten off of, the rubber needs to meet the road.... you know?

While I take trait theories (categorising people into squares) with a grain of salt, I believe that this offers some important clues about what you will respond to most.
Yeah, me too. On both counts.

I am currently looking for recovery alternatives myself and this post has helped me to expand my ideas. While I will not put too much emphasis upon which `category' I fall into, this is giving me direction. Thanks!
Thank you, too!
Look forward to any sharing you choose to do about those expanding ideas.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Hi there crew,
I've come into this long running thread late - though checked out some of the first posts a while ago.

I just want to affirm absolutely everything just posted by Community Dawn and Obladi's reply. Me to a TEE! This, despite doing a Myers Briggs a few years ago: from memory (I'll have to find the paperwork to check), I vaguely recall there was an E there somewhere.

Having thought about this stuff recently: I believe that my Extrovert aspects became a performative coping mechanism throughout my life (many 'natural' I's report the same). And as soooo many drunks report: well, waddya know? I used alcohol in order to 'fit in' with others, let loose with others esp at parties and such function, to try to quell the desire to just run away from the crowds and the interminable chatter, etc etc.

I became pretty good at the extrovert performance, so much so that I came to believe that it was truly a natural part of me.

But in this most recent recovery from alcohol (a year or more, broken up by a few relapses), some months ago, and more and more now, I've realised that I want to (yes, WANT TO) re-align my self and daily life with my 'Inner Introvert'. heheh. Sounds a bit bletchy / New Age, but it is who I really am. As well as all those three other features you guys described.

Such a f*^&%ing relief!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Also on the topic of introversion (apols if it's being already posted):

Introversion and Addiction

I'm also keen to buy a couple of recent books on introverts in general - there's been quite a resurgence of interest in affirming introverts for just being who we are, without all the judgement and stresses we get from Western capitalist extrovert-oriented society. One such book is called something like 'Quiet! The Power of Introverts in a World That Won't Shut up' by Susan somebody (just google it).
Old 03-14-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

bemyself, when I challenge my project manager (the one who had us all take this assessment) to guess, he couldn't quite decide whether I was an E or an I.

I said, "I'm an I who has learned to act like an E when necessary."

Off to view the link you posted - thanks. (And I love the title of the book you mention - might have to buy it just for that reason. I've been known to do that....)
Old 01-23-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

INFJ, just 2% from INPJ
Old 01-23-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

INTP all the way. Einstein had my personality type some I'm pretty thrilled with that
Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I have his hair.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I have his hair.
Hot!

I've got one Einstein like brain cell. I only use it on special occasions.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
Intj. Hmmm.
I ws beginning to think I was the only one! Of course, I would have been comfortable with that.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

ISFJ
I think this pretty much does describe me.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

INFJ this time