Personality Type and Recovery

Old 10-16-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Well, this is something. A bunch of INFJs. This is stunning--what are the chances? Up until now I've only run across a few INFJs (ironically, one is my husband's ex-wife!), and here are a whole boatload of us. It's great!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by lilac0721 View Post
Obladi,

Really interesting. I am an INFP (once in a while test as an INFJ) and yet, in spite of being spiritual (not religious), I find I am more drawn to the logical paths to recovery of SMART and RR. I've been thinking a lot about personality because I'm in a profession (law) that is very draining for NFs.
I'm in the same profession, Lilac. Yes, it is draining. I am often told I do not have the typical lawyer personality, that I am much too nice, much too sensitive.

But my personality gets me clients. Turns out people like dealing with a nice person.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Tammy: Portrait of an INFJ

I(introvert) doesn't (necessarily) mean shy or socially backwards. In the Myers Briggs framework, it means we get energy from within and being around people - at least too much - can be draining. E(xtrovert)s draw their energy from being around other people. They're the ones who like to call a meeting to brainstorm. We don't need to brainstorm; we instictively know the answer.
That's very true about introversion. I am not particularly shy (just a little bit) and have no trouble making friends. It's just that I need alone time to recharge my batteries. And yes, I rarely need to brainstorm (when I do, I find a bunch of extroverts...they are so good at it).
Old 10-16-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
That's very true about introversion. I am not particularly shy (just a little bit) and have no trouble making friends. It's just that I need alone time to recharge my batteries. And yes, I rarely need to brainstorm (when I do, I find a bunch of extroverts...they are so good at it).
Every single person I with is an extrovert. Every one of them. They all think I'm really weird. Little do they know, I know they're the weird ones.

Try explaining to an extrovert that you're not an introvert but also not an extrovert. *sigh*
Old 10-16-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I think the I makes perfect sense we are all hanging on line
Old 10-16-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
I think the I makes perfect sense we are all hanging on line
Yep, I for one don't like too much group interaction, but have (reluctantly) found the input of others quite helpful and reassuring!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
I'm in the same profession, Lilac. Yes, it is draining. I am often told I do not have the typical lawyer personality, that I am much too nice, much too sensitive.

But my personality gets me clients. Turns out people like dealing with a nice person.
I KNEW I liked you, OTT! Yeah, in my short stints in private practice, people have loved hiring me I guess bc of the compassion factor. My last little stint was doing divorce/sutody and I have a visceral reaction to other people's toxicity. My happiest days are when I'm a prosecutor. NOBODY expects a respectful, kind prosecutor. Right now I contract with the BIA so the tribal court and cultural issues/historic trauma add an additional level of service to others that appeals to my sometimes bad NF self.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I always thought I would like to be a lawyer when I grow up, and sometimes think so still. As you might guess by now, I am completely drawn in by the law.

Once upon a time, I went to interview with a firm for a paralegal position, being ignorant in advance what they did (lax, I know). When it was revealed to me that this group specialized in defending drunk drivers, one of my questions was essentially, "How do you justify what you do?"

I didn't get the job.

I am in IT.

And no matter what personality test I take, I seem to always be in the small minority. I've only just now realized that this is really ok, that like OTT says, I offer value because of my different perspective.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Lol, Obladi, I have seriously been drawn to IT jobs. Perhaps we are NFs desperately in denial of our types?
As for your experience with the defense firm, I'd have been the same way. At least as a prosecutor I can suss out who needs what (within the context of the law and sentencing guidelines) and play negotiator. When I've done defense I always want to say to people "what the heck were you thinking?"
Old 10-16-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

I got ENFP

Extravert
iNtuitive
Feeling
Perceptive

That was fun. We should make tee shirts.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I taught it for years and people rnjoyed it, not easy for me a strong I
Old 10-16-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

You all who enjoyed MB should check out ennigram very interesting, a little more complex. all very interesting. The UNR classes I taught were all group project based and mixed by type. Intrusting to see how they introacted. The E always did the major presentation.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

When we did this at work, I at first shrugged.
La di da.

But my ISTP neighbor in the cube adjacent was so fascinated. She talked about it for days, asking every person who came to see her what their type was. She even took her assessment in when she went for her quarterly meeting with the boss. Her fascination got me more interested.

So I ran the numbers on my SO. He is an ISTP like my cube neighbor, not what I thought what he would be. (I most certainly thought he would have the NF core like I do.) And when she said, "I don't let me feelings govern me; logic tells me what I should feel," I became even more interested. What a foreign concept! But I certainly recognized what she was saying because it sounded so much like him.

I dunno.
It's interesting because it gives me a framework to help me to understand why I seem to see and feel things differently. What a relief - it's science.

Ok, I'm off to google ennigram. (Wondered to what you were alluding previously, Fitz!)
Old 10-16-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Ooo, Paperdolls and Thepatman, you'll like this - it has yes, kinda and maybe as choices.
http://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/dotest.php
Old 10-16-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by lilac0721 View Post
Perhaps we are NFs desperately in denial of our types? "
And this was the point I was working towards this morning. I think that a great deal of my struggle thus far has been denial of my type.

I felt like an oddball, like I was wrong in feeling what I felt, in seeing the world as I do, in seeming to be so different from the crowd.

So I've been struggling to be like everyone else, and I can't do that.

I can AVRT like anyone's business, but to do that successfully, I first have to accept who I am. Not broken, not terminally unique, not wrong, but just me.

I did the enneagram thing and I'm either a 3 wing 2 or a 1 wing 2.
More complex than I can handle at this late hour, but perhaps I will explore more in days to come. Or maybe I'll stick with winging it.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:07 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Stairs, ENFP you and me, both. It's interesting that I ended up in a technical field, but now in management - I think I am suited to the people side of things.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Hi fresh, brother ENFP

I took the Enneagram test and I'm a 7w6.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thanks Obladi! Looks like I'm "Enneagram Type 2 - The Helper"

I find it accurate. I always get screwed helping people. LOL!
My last girlfriend had Borderline Personallity disorder. I ended up loosing so much $ ;-(
Old 10-17-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I did the enneagram test, and it was flummoxed. It told me to come back and try again later because nothing was definitive. 2w3, 3w2, maybe something else, not sure.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
It told me to come back and try again later because nothing was definitive.
You broke it!