Notices

New year challenge

Old 02-16-2022, 02:30 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Great photos and memories AL.

I love your post about the house extension and the outside toilet. I remember my grandparents house having an outside toilet when I used to visit in the early 1970s. The house wasn't modernised until around 1973 when the council installed an inside toilet and a proper bathroom. Before the house was modernised, in winter my grandad used to put a paraffin lamp in the outhouse that housed the toilet so that people could actually see as otherwise it was pitch black when the door was closed. Perhaps not the healthiest of ways to light a room (the fumes are now considered dangerous!) but it was either a paraffin lamp, a candle or complete darkness.
Old 02-16-2022, 02:42 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

I’ve still got an outside toilet, Robbie

Well, I have an indoor one too, but when I moved in, the old outside toilet was just a storeroom complete with a disconnected WC. Seemed logical to reconnect the plumbing, and now that’s my second toilet. I did install a light, but installing an electric heater would’ve required higher current cable, beyond my budget and DIY skills. So like your grandad’s toilet, it’s cold!

I use the toilet a lot, just have to evict the spiders and their webs every few weeks
Old 02-16-2022, 05:49 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Its funny how my kids react when i tell them about it. Luckily much different now. I had the opportunity to go inside one of them in the last few years, a lot of them built bedrooms into the attic space and utilised the space available knocking walls ect on the ground floor.
Also the photo with my nans cousin, in the background you might notice it has houses on the right, only one remains now but is in very bad condition and for sale, id love to be able to afford it and have it restored instead of the terrible mindcraft designs around the town at the moment, they have their place but not in an old town like mine. Thats tomorrow's photo sorted.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:46 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

run down but i would love it. I was in it as a young lad. There is an door from below or the street above just beautiful i do hope is restored to the original home.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:29 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Looking up river this morning and a flock of geese heading somewhere they had just left the marsh and began to make the perfect V shape as they flew away🙂
Old 02-17-2022, 02:22 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

That's a very interesting house AL though it looks like it could do with a good trim! There's a house near my local village centre that is covered in foliage. I'm not really a fan of that style though it suits the house in your photo much better as it blends in with its surroundings. How old is the house in your photo? 19th century? It would be interesting to have a look around inside to see how many of the original features are still there.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:45 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
That's a very interesting house AL though it looks like it could do with a good trim! There's a house near my local village centre that is covered in foliage. I'm not really a fan of that style though it suits the house in your photo much better as it blends in with its surroundings. How old is the house in your photo? 19th century? It would be interesting to have a look around inside to see how many of the original features are still there.
Yes 19 century. Thats all wild growth on the house nobody's lived in it now for over 20 years (long story). You can't even see into the house from the other side on the street above with the ivy growth so ive no idea if its was anythinglike when i was young, id have to ask the pigeons who have moved in 🙂.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:53 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Storm Eunice: Status Red alerts for Cork,

Might give tomorrow mornings walk a miss🙃its going to be a wild night 130km winds and rain. I must admit a lot more frequent these days.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:36 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Got through Storm Eunice this morning, so late walk instead of the morning like i usually do. Today its gone from wind and rain to cold and ice tonight. Goodnight and sleep well.
The pier at night went and walked my lap in the opposite direction to normal. Crazy time's 🙂.
Old 02-19-2022, 04:55 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Did walk early as i had to work. So im here in the office and i hate working Saturdays so the view will have to keep me going.
i was a little concerned about the Herns nests though this morning as it was a stay at home red warning yesterday with storm Eunice and i didn't get out until lastnight, it was very powerful short but dramatic.They survived intact and they were fixing or adding to them this morning so that was nice to see.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:16 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

So glad the nest survived!
Old 02-19-2022, 01:44 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tursiops999 View Post
So glad the nest survived!
Me too
Old 02-19-2022, 02:09 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

On my own.its a song stuck in my head Patti LaBelle and Michael Mcdonald. My wife and son have gone to her home in France for mid-term break so its just me and my daughter 18yrs (going on 25yrs in her head) . She has gone to a friends house tonight so i went out for a walk as you do and im back with my other girl below Poppy she was waiting patiently for me to get back and not leaving my side for one minute now im home . Shes my wifes dog but i love her to bits.
Otherwise its was a clam night and the fishermen are enjoying sometime ashore as its rough out at sea these are some of the lobster boats at the pier.
Goodnight all.
Old 02-19-2022, 05:13 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

What a great story to follow, AL. You're extremely observant and it's all good stuff!
Old 02-20-2022, 12:35 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Thankyou Advbike
Old 02-20-2022, 05:14 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

i got wet this morning. Thats is all really but enjoyed the walk in the wild the wind whistling standing at one stage facing the Atlantic ocean arms out and almost being blown away. Such power from nature is something to behold.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:05 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Beautiful pup!
Awesome pictures!
The wind always worries me. A powerful force you cannot see with the power to destroy everything in its path.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:26 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Got up early drove my daughter to the bus for college and left from the car park. Walked a beautiful route by the sea out towards the Atlantic ocean lots of wind but peaceful.
I sat and just looked out for a while, its nice having ones thoughts to yourself and what came to mind for god only knows what reason was my dads mam my Nana.
Its over 45 years ago i was a small boy but i can still feel and smell her standing behind me washing my hands in the green basin with a bar of soap the size of a brick dark pink and that smell i cant explain not a perfume.
Lifebuoy carbolic soap 🧼. That smell is still a trigger that make me think of her i close my eyes and i can feel her hands on mine in the water i can see it and smell the soap. Amazing when a memory stays as vivid as this. So that was my morning so far. But it is a beautiful place to sit.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:30 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

just got back before the 🌧 🌦
Old 02-22-2022, 12:50 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

The Oyster catcher dosent like me i keep trying to take the photo and it flies away but such a beautiful bird and also loud at night like its a party.
The sun is also trying its best to poke its way through the cloud's.
I definitely need to do something new my job is getting to me, but i have to stay positive and think of whats good instead of the festering bad thoughts that can consume me.
Good vibes everyone.