Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Sorry for the very British thread - it’s Euro 2021 Football/Soccer

Notices

Sorry for the very British thread - it’s Euro 2021 Football/Soccer

Old 07-09-2021, 12:07 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

I have an Italian friend, big football fan, and he fancies England to do it.

I can see it going to penalties ☹️
Old 07-09-2021, 02:18 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
I have an Italian friend, big football fan, and he fancies England to do it.

I can see it going to penalties ☹️
I don't think my nerves can take it.

I keep consoling myself with the fact that if the Italians win they wanted it just as much as we do.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:58 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Was just thinking about the final. The last time anything like this happened was 55 years ago. Sunday will obviously be a once in a lifetime, and without being over dramatic, anyone who remotely likes football and is English needs that at the forefront of their mind. Youngsters mightn’t savour it, but they will one day.

What am I banging on about?

As this is a sobriety forum, let’s ask this. Why would anyone want to be paralytically drunk to witness the events on Sunday evening? Do fathers get drunk before going in to to see the birth of their first child? Do people go on a once in a lifetime holiday and drink 14 beers before their never to be repeated trip to Ayers Rock or Niagara Falls? I hope not.

I pity those who feel they have to be drunk to watch Sunday’s game. Ok, drink after if you must (applies to none of us here), but get intoxicated on the events on Sunday.

A bit over the top perhaps, but we still bang on about 1966 and always will. Imagine being too drunk to watch properly that game.

Team Sober are the lucky ones 👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Old 07-09-2021, 12:58 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Part of the celebrations at goals etc seems to be throwing beer around and it occurs to me that it must be cheap if people think they can afford to do that. They didn't do that 55 years ago, I bet!
Old 07-10-2021, 08:52 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm glad I will be staying sober on Sunday. There might even be a bit of schadenfreude with work colleagues on Monday although if we win I'm sure they won't care . I must say that I have been immensely impressed with both manager Gareth Southgate and the players for their conduct on and off the pitch. I am very proud of them.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:10 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

The final will be on my birthday (aka tomorrow), in addition to my mom's birthday (yeah, we share the same). However, even how much I hate self-pity, this may my worst b-day ever. Why? Blame it on me and my total lack of regard considering alcohol, or blame it on the fact that the most dangerous drug in the world in the world is even legal. Maybe combine the two together.

Oh well, I was scared from the start I wouldn't reach my 40s, but.... here I am ..... just a few hours away from 38.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:33 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I'm glad I will be staying sober on Sunday. There might even be a bit of schadenfreude with work colleagues on Monday although if we win I'm sure they won't care . I must say that I have been immensely impressed with both manager Gareth Southgate and the players for their conduct on and off the pitch. I am very proud of them.
It's the unimpressive conduct that now makes we want Italy to win.

1. Booing national anthems.
2. Southgate's horrendous comments about the Germany and WW1 and 2.
3. Kane, Sterling and Grealish diving
4. Mass assulting the Danish girls.
5. Laser beems in goalkeepers faces.

Cheats don't deserve to prosper.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:04 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Looking forward immensely to the game: with you in spirit, folks, across the miles
Old 07-11-2021, 04:28 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Less than 8 hours to go ⚽ and the nerves are starting to kick in already...
Old 07-11-2021, 04:35 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Happy 38th Birthday Polaroid!
Make today the last birthday you had as a drinker, it would be great to quit in your 30s (I wish I had) You just have to do some homework on yourself and find out what you need to do personally in order to quit. It's hard but not so hard once have a plan. 'You can do it.

Originally Posted by AlbaSober View Post
It's the unimpressive conduct that now makes we want Italy to win.

1. Booing national anthems.
2. Southgate's horrendous comments about the Germany and WW1 and 2.
3. Kane, Sterling and Grealish diving
4. Mass assulting the Danish girls.
5. Laser beems in goalkeepers faces.

Cheats don't deserve to prosper.
I am not going to disagree with you about what you said, the booing of opposing national anthems is a disgrace but I will mention some positives that temper some of what you posted. In England we too were repulsed by the mockery of the Danish girl and a crowd funding page was set up within hours that raised thousands of £'s. Gareth Southgate's words were very carefully chosen and referred to the spirit during hard times in the past, he absolutely did not mention Germany (or Italy) or wars or any of that. Finally, England are one of the least "divey" teams in the tournament. I have been most impressed with Gareth Southgate and the team's decency and lack of arrogance. To prove we are not by any means alone in playing for fouls Here is a clip Italy's Ciro Immobilé recovering from two broken legs once he knows his opponent has been carded. Diving is a blight on the game but we are not the only ones Alba.
https://youtu.be/6_fwDcp97Ts

It is just gone midday here so the tension has not kicked in yet. I mentioned on another thread that an extraordinary number of beers are predicted to be sold today. I also have a feeling it is going to be a Delta variant Covid superspreader event but international footballing success is such a rare event for us that I am setting all that aside today. My team, England are not favourites either on or off the field but we do have a good chance. Good luck England!

Old 07-11-2021, 06:08 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Not sure where that’s going, but anyway.

Spoke to a youngster (well, 28) at midday. They were just about to head out to the pub. So that’s 8 hours of drinking before kick off. Apart from anything else, they’ll be in and out of the toilet during the biggest game in English history since 1966.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:12 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/c...e-b945187.html

This kinda thing is yet again a turn off. I was down in the Lake district last week and the England fans were brilliant. It's just a shame that a sizable minority spoils it for everyone.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:40 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Not long now, Italy look a bit scary. I haven't even managed to watch the build up.

Think I might go to bed and find out tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:41 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Good luck for a happy result!
Old 07-11-2021, 11:50 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlbaSober View Post
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/c...e-b945187.html

This kinda thing is yet again a turn off. I was down in the Lake district last week and the England fans were brilliant. It's just a shame that a sizable minority spoils it for everyone.
All the more reason not to watch football in the pub 🙂

Enjoy, everyone. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🇮🇹
Old 07-11-2021, 02:01 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

I'm on the edge of my seat...
Old 07-11-2021, 02:57 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Great game.

Congratulations to the winners.

Well-played.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:09 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Best team won. Doesn’t make it easy to take though 🙁
Old 07-11-2021, 03:16 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Congratulations Italy!

I was backing you all the way.

Old 07-11-2021, 03:18 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

From the Guardian live commentary:

... Here’s to the country throwing a loving arm around [the players], plus the manager, because they deserve to be cut all the slack for the joy they’ve given the country during this tournament ... and for making England’s first final for 55 years. It hurts now, but it’s been a blast, right?