SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Sorry for the very British thread - it’s Euro 2021 Football/Soccer (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/454236-sorry-very-british-thread-s-euro-2021-football-soccer.html)

Hodd 06-13-2021 02:11 AM

Sorry for the very British thread - it’s Euro 2021 Football/Soccer

I’m from England, but this applies to forum members from Wales and Scotland as we’re in this together.

The last time I got excited about an England football game was ironically England v Croatia (the same opponents today) back in 2018. I’d cut right down on drinking and was nice and slim, but that was a “night off”. I was working away so had a few beers in my hotel room with the game on the TV. It went to extra time so I had to watch in the hotel bar (more beers), and England lost and I was very upset so went out for even more beers!

Today’s game kicks off at 2pm, and as bars are fully open now in the U.K., things will get messy, especially after the boredom of various lockdowns this year.

I’ll be watching at home. I never liked afternoon drinking anyway, but I prefer to avoid the loud types who are in every bar in the world when football’s on.

I’d suggest anyone who’s recently quit does likewise. You’ll enjoy (or not) the football regardless, and you won’t be surrounded by drinkers tempting you back to the old ways.

After the game, then take a walk past some local bars. There’ll be red faces and beer bellies, it’s pitiful to see. You’ll be glad you’re not like that.

Good day all - may the best team win!

Cityboy 06-13-2021 02:37 AM

I found that we get the euro games on ESPNHD today. I'll be working today but can watch the highlights at 5 after I get home. College football is the most popular sport where I live. I've drank many a draft beer in the sports bar watching it. Same thing different place as what you describe.

Speaking of work...

Robbie64 06-13-2021 03:40 AM

Come on England!

Most football tournaments that I've seen as an adult have usually been watched in a drunken haze. The only one I've seen since I turned 18 where I have been sober throughout the whole tournament was World Cup 98. As a result I can remember most of it. All the others are various degrees of drunken blurs. I intend to stay sober for Euro 2020/2021.

Speaking of World Cup 98... 'Carnaval de Paris' by Dario G. Brilliant.

Hodd 06-13-2021 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Robbie64 (Post 7649533)
Come on England!

Most football tournaments that I've seen as an adult have usually been watched in a drunken haze. The only one I've seen since I turned 18 where I have been sober throughout the whole tournament was World Cup 98. As a result I can remember most of it. All the others are various degrees of drunken blurs. I intend to stay sober for Euro 2020/2021.

I’m a bit fearful, Robbie, not about the results but the combination of recent lockdowns, the roasting hot weather and the usual euphoria make it a relapser’s nightmare. I’ve watched some great tournaments on TV overseas where due to no alcohol or odd time zones, the only drinks I had were coffee or tea. It was great, but nowhere in this country will offer such an environment in which to watch. It’ll be beer, beer and more beer.

Put the kettle on and watch at home. England aren’t going to win the tournament anyway, but you can win an even better prize by not drinking like all those red faced drunkards I’ll see in about 4 hours time.

Haris2014 06-13-2021 05:19 AM

Yep I will be watching from the comfort of my sofa and lighting the bbq shortly after it finishes...love club football but haven’t really followed internationals with any passion since euro 96 and France 98..it used to involve an awful lot of beer back then in my early 20’s.

the pubs will be a proper mess of bright red English fans by this evening..dehydrated and lubricated to excess.

DRMax 06-13-2021 05:37 AM

Yeah Hodd, Robbie - Come on England!!!

I got an invite out for the match but ive only told people im having a spell off the drink. 7 week on Tuesday, what a time i've picked to come off it. Lockdown easing plus the Euro's 😂

Agreed Hodd its going to be pretty mental in the pubs and town centres today. Hope England win and everyone has a good time but yeah it will get messy and its just the worst possible environment for me just now!

Hopeful we can do well in this though. Some good young players to go with the likes of Kane 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Robbie64 06-13-2021 05:41 AM

I'll definitely be staying at home to watch the games. I don't think I could enjoy watching them in a pub full of drunks. I walked past one of my local pubs this morning at 11am and there ws a lot of noise coming from the beer garden. I'd imagine the pub is pretty much full by now as the England v Croatia match starts in 20 minutes. I feel sorry for the staff as it's still table service only at the moment. Trying to keep everyone in order (remaining seated etc) will be near impossible.

Hodd 06-13-2021 05:49 AM

Hi Robbie, I forgot about the table service! It’s more of a civilised way, but brits don’t really get it yet.

I think we’ve all made a good choice to steer clear of those pubs on this particular day. I go to pubs for a coffee and a sandwich. It’s not the day for either of those.

Well done everyone. Ironically although I’ve been sober 29 months, this is my first tournament sober! We’re all in this together 😀

Hodd 06-13-2021 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by DRMax (Post 7649567)
Yeah Hodd, Robbie - Come on England!!!

I got an invite out for the match but ive only told people im having a spell off the drink. 7 week on Tuesday,

Yes, you’ve picked a hell of a time! Anyone who’s quit during these lockdowns is a national hero. Tell your mates you’ve quit for good. You’ll be surprised at the reaction. My mates were all understanding and to be honest jealous. They also watch my back now, and I’d probably get a right telling off by them if I was ever tempted again. Don’t do this alone.

Scd619x 06-13-2021 06:43 AM

I'm English and it's going to be embarrassing to watch as per usual, especially this year! I'm watching it now, shaking my head. I hope Croatia score tbh lol

Hodd 06-13-2021 06:57 AM

It’s a bit hot out there to be fair. I went to the shop to buy some bread just before kick off (my rock and roll lifestyle will catch up with me one day) and it was roasting.

The pub today would be my idea of hell on Earth.

saoutchik 06-13-2021 09:07 AM

Woo Hoo!

Hodd 06-13-2021 10:51 AM

😀 woohoo for the result or the lack of alcohol?

Way too hot for a run so I walked into town just now. Not a pretty sight.

Result

Beer 0 Sober Team 1

saoutchik 06-13-2021 11:21 AM

Well it was for the result Hodd but for the not drinking too so well done England and well done to all those who abstained and will not be suffering tomorrow.

DRMax 06-13-2021 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by saoutchik (Post 7649747)
Well it was for the result Hodd but for the not drinking too so well done England and well done to all those who abstained and will not be suffering tomorrow.

1st (England) opening game ive not drank since euro 2000 when it was literally a school night. ​​​​​​Well done today team sober👍

​​​​

Dropsie 06-13-2021 02:04 PM

Good game. A bit messy but a good result. And cool to have a 17 YO on the pitch.

I am a huge Belgium fan so had a great night yesterday, plus I root for the Dutch and the English so 3 for 3.

Happy sober Euro 200.

saoutchik 06-13-2021 02:14 PM

Looking online I saw that the odds of England winning the tournament were 12/1.

For anyone that doesn't know about gambling or odds let me explain. What it means is that if you were to bet £10 on England to win at 12/1 you would lose £10.

Hodd 06-13-2021 02:19 PM

Yikes! England v Scotland is at 8pm this Friday! That never used to be allowed by the police. Plus the Czech v Croatia game before is worth a watch. I well remember watching two or even three games whilst endlessly necking pints. I lived in Germany in 2006. Can you imagine the mayhem!

This Friday is a drinker’s nightmare ( or dream maybe).

Be careful, please, folks.

FlyAgain 06-13-2021 04:47 PM

I had my “last” drink during the England / Croatia game 3 years ago. I had been sober for a while up until then. That “last” drink lasted for 6 months when I never drew a sober breath.

Glad I have no desire to have another last drink (nearly 2.5 years sober).

Good to be reminded of that so thanks for the post

Auchieshuggle 06-14-2021 01:17 PM

Scotland were there usual selves, gallant losers. England v Scotland on Friday, and I only see one winner! :(