Notices

Merry (lockdown) Christmas Weekenders 25-28 December 2020

Old 12-29-2020, 04:02 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Magsie

We’ve just got a thin covering of snow/ice here. I think it will melt today though. Forecast of more to come.

Manta, your view sounds idyllic to look at. Though as kids we’d love to play in it.

Robbie careful on the ice.

Hi RAL good to see you
Old 12-29-2020, 05:14 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Mags, I was taking baby steps on the ice! It was like a skating rink in places. I ended up walking on the roads wherever possible, taking the view that I was less likely to be hit by a car than slip and fall on the pavement. I also took the lazy way of getting back home, I got on a bus even though it's only one stop from the shops to where I live. Even then I nearly slid into the bus when I was trying to board it! I'm back home now, just had something to eat and now about to have a cup of tea. I'm staying indoors for the rest of the day!
Old 12-29-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Kaily, I didn't take my phone. No pics. Pics are kind of a hassle for me. Emailing, resizing, uploading. I post from a PC so it's not a one-click deal.

Just as I was walking into my driveway a flock of geese flew over in formation, heading due north. Probably 200 birds. It was magical. Honking and undulating in their v-shaped lines.

Everyone on the trail stopped and watched.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:46 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Magsie

Robbie I think I would’ve got on the bus too than risk flying flat on my face on the ice.

Bim, what a sight. I love to see the geese in their formation.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:53 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

There is a magnolia tree down the street that is in full bloom. It's December! Something is not right...
Old 12-29-2020, 11:46 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Lixie, I LOVE magnolias, the way the flowers come before the leaves, like my Wisteria.

I hope everyone is well and had a merry Christmas

xxx
Old 12-29-2020, 12:00 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Hoping that Willow will bounce back soon, or maybe she's just on one of those long camping trips with no cell service.

On an overnight work trip and staying at a hotel where I normally stay a few times a year. Until January, the routine here would have been to stumble over to the Mexican restaurant next door after becoming sufficiently inebriated in the room. Then drinking a couple of more modelos or something with my carne asada while managing to make an azz of myself by screwing up what little Spanish I know. It's satisfying to think back on it and realize the progress that has been made. Other than the whole covid thing, 2020 has been one of the best years of my life.
I am so, so happy for you Cityboy. You sound like you're in such a good place my friend.
congrats
Old 12-29-2020, 12:20 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

I'm super-envious of all the snow you guys have got. We have a big fat nothing here despite all the yellow warnings and promises! Pah!! The Met Office has issued messages now which say there is a warning nearby. In other words, some lucky ***** has got snow but IT'S NOT YOU!!

I'm still doing very well on the bulimia front. I'm at day 66 now. I sailed through Christmas Day but have been finding it much more difficult since. I don't know why!

It's great to see how well everyone else is doing too xxx
Old 12-29-2020, 12:33 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Well done, Devizes. I know I get adrenaline and emotional letdowns after big events. I've read on here many times about drinkers who drink after they've made it past some big alcohol-soaked event where they stayed sober. There's something there...dunno what, but it's common.

I got my pneumonia vaccine. Went to the grocery and now I'm in for the next few days. I can do without snow, thanks. I'm not in the UK though - we'll see!

I'm having my afternoon coffee, then a walk.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:07 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning from a icy cold North Lincolnshire. I’ve just put wheelie bin out and it’s bites right to the bone.

Congratulations Devizes on day 66.

Good to see you Snoozy. Don’t be shy, come back more often.

I see the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine has been passed a d be rolled out from 4th January. We’re getting there.🙏.

See you later, take care. xxxx
Old 12-30-2020, 12:22 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Great to see you SnoozyQ!₩

66 days is wonderful Devizes, hang in there. If it is anything like alcohol addiction then it should ease off soon.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:43 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

it's a lovely sunny morning here - amazing what a bit of daylight does for the mood, it's been really foggy here the last few days. I might actually leave the house for the first time this week.

hope everyone has survived xmas & maybe even enjoyed it too.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:16 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
it's a lovely sunny morning here - amazing what a bit of daylight does for the mood, it's been really foggy here the last few days.
Yeah that along with two hot cross buns for breakfast.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:42 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Yeah that along with two hot cross buns for breakfast.
very seasonal
Old 12-30-2020, 02:09 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders!

I had a bit of a laugh this morning. Yesterday I defrosted the fridge / freezer and somehow knocked the thermostat setting to maximum. This morning I went to make a cup of tea only to find a frozen carton of milk (along with everything else in the fridge frozen). After the initial annoyance wore off I shrugged my shoulders, went to the local shop and bought another carton of milk. Had I still been drinking I would have been in a state of abject panic as all the cans in the fridge would have been frozen. I had a laugh thinking of how I would have been reacting at the sight of frozen cans of lager. I doubt I would have just shrugged my shoulders and put it behind me.

It's a valuable lesson to me in what being sober brings - an ability to laugh at a slight misfortune rather than probably panicking and cursing my bad luck.

Incidentally I have put the thermostat setting back to normal and the milk seems to be staying in a liquid state!
Old 12-30-2020, 02:48 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Robbie, sometimes my beer would freeze in those little hotel refrigerators. Most of the time it didn't stay in there long enough though.

Lixie, I'm sure it depends on current company. Most of my friends drink the lower to middle shelf beer, while some drink the more expensive wine and liquors. Just a different means to the same end.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:57 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Robbie, I used to put my box of beer in the freezer in the back room when I got home from work. That way, I could feel like I was being discreet. Sometimes I would pass out in my chair and get up in the morning to find the few remaining cans of beer frozen solid. Crazy how things like that used to occupy such a large part of our daily thoughts.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:43 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Incidentally I have put the thermostat setting back to normal and the milk seems to be staying in a liquid state!
Made me think of the old days when we all had our milk delivered to the doorstep by the milkman and when it was cold in winter the milk would freeze and explode from the bottle top or when the birds used to peck the tin foil lids to drink the cream at the top of the milk lol x
Old 12-30-2020, 08:30 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

last day of 2020
and I'm still here
as are we all
good that
Old 12-30-2020, 08:33 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Well we had that funeral today now (nearly a week on) The Mass was a private affair due to Covid restrictions but was live streamed on Facebook. His wife even mentioned that they
were married 35 years today! Good God, I don't know what they're going through, the sons managed to get home from Oz ok. All we could do (the neighbours) was stand at the side of the road
as the funeral cortege drove pass after the Mass.