Notices

Merry (lockdown) Christmas Weekenders 25-28 December 2020

Old 12-25-2020, 10:09 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

My day went reasonably well. I cooked a very easy dinner for my Dad - ready made roast potatoes, parsnips, cauliflower cheese and pre cooked ham. I did have to trim some Brussel sprouts myself. All came together nicely with very little stress for me.

Oh Robbie, self sabotage. It is a strange thing, I was very good at it too. One year I cancelled Christmas on the day, called my Dad 9am and said I was drunk couldn't pick him up or cook dinner. Left him in the lurch as he no food in. I just couldn't stop myself even though I knew it was imperative I stayed sober, if anything that pressure made it harder.

I believe you will get permanent sobriety soon.

Lovely atmospheric picture Bim.

Freedomfries 100 days.
Old 12-25-2020, 10:40 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Magsie

Freedom fries, that’s great! 100 days

Robbie. Don’t beat yourself up. One day soon it will just click. I really feel you want this. Fill your ‘sober tool box’ to the brim with tools to help you not take that first drink. And don’t forget to shout ‘help‘ when you need it. Have you seen the 24 hour thread. I visit daily and promise to myself I’ll stay sober for today. https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-510-a-20.html (24 Hour Recovery Connections part 510)

Kaily, sounds like you had a good day with your dad. Love the Alfie and Daisy photos in their beds. ❤️

Bim, great photo. Seeing snow so near to the sea. Strange to me somehow. Then again snow is water

Sao, sorry you couldn’t have Christmas with your family.

Christmas day went by without any stresses and drama. A far cry from my drinking days, when so often than not I was smashed for most of it. :sigh: Glad those days are gone.

Take care, be safe. xxxx
Old 12-26-2020, 12:15 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Morning all!! Xmas day was just dandy in our house. I served people alcoholic drinks without any thought of drinking them myself. My mum made a big song and dance, whilst trying to be subtle, that she'd put Cointreau in the cranberry sauce (luckily I hate cranberry sauce!), that really made me smile how she was trying to help me without telling me what (not) to do!!

I didn't want to drink at all. The change between working against my desires to not drink to working WITH my will is most welcome. I don't drink in the same way as I don't eat peanuts - I just don't want to

Have a great day everyone, merry Xmas again
Old 12-26-2020, 12:50 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders

Congratulations to freedomfries on 100 days of sobriety.

It's that strange day, Boxing Day (I think it's only called that in the UK and Commonwealth countries) alsp known as St Stephens Day. When I was young (a long time ago!) Boxing Day was still seen as a big part of Christmas and we'd meet relations who we hadn't been able to see on Christmas Day itself. The family would gather around and we'd have a big celebration. Now many people just see it as a holiday, a day to go shopping. You don't really hear Christmas songs anymore after Christmas Day either.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:01 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hey all, Merry Christmas!! Bit late to this thread but joining for a sob er weekend/Christmas anyway.
Christmas was quiet and went very quickly this year. Still sober with no thoughts or ideas of drinking. Dinner yesterday was stress free mostly and good fun. Today in a normal year there would be another round of dinner with several guests but not this year, for me boxing day is always more fun than Christmas day, will kind of miss that this year.
I have 10 weeks today, feels good.
Merry Christmas all!
Old 12-26-2020, 01:58 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

^
Merry Christmas Phil!
Old 12-26-2020, 02:02 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Well it's 100 days today and Christmas went fine. Feeling happy.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:20 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Magsie

Merry Christmas Phil

Nice one freedomfries

Robbie we usually go to see family on Boxing Day too. But the pandemic stopped that this year.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:07 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

This was one of the easiest Christmases to stay sober. Even when I was bingeing on and off between my 2 treatments, I nearly always stayed sober at Christmas somehow- with things
going to hell in the Spring though. But this year I had zero thoughts about drinking, no planning or plotting to go off on one.

We did get very bad news on Christmas Eve, a neighbour of mine was killed in a farm accident, he feel into a cattle feeder and was more or less chopped to bits. There is no body left unfortunately for
a funeral even. He rented my farm years ago and was close to the family. It's been hard to grasp what's happened.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:58 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I think my little family (wife, kid, and myself) had the best Christmas ever despite some bad situations. 1. I remained sober and hangover free. 2. We were alone in our house, no visitors. Lessons learned? We'll see.

Reid, that's awful. How terrible for your neighbor's family. I hate farm accidents. Unfortionatly, it is a situation in which people use or come in contact with potentially dangerous equipment and situations but often don't have the training or emphasis on safety that is often present in a more industrial type of setting. I've had friends and family members injured and killed, and lots of close calls, myself included. Very sorry to hear about that.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:30 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
This was one of the easiest Christmases to stay sober. Even when I was bingeing on and off between my 2 treatments, I nearly always stayed sober at Christmas somehow- with things
going to hell in the Spring though. But this year I had zero thoughts about drinking, no planning or plotting to go off on one.

We did get very bad news on Christmas Eve, a neighbour of mine was killed in a farm accident, he feel into a cattle feeder and was more or less chopped to bits. There is no body left unfortunately for
a funeral even. He rented my farm years ago and was close to the family. It's been hard to grasp what's happened
I read about that in the news (I'm Irish also), sorry to hear the sad news.
Old 12-26-2020, 06:21 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Magsie

Reid, I’m so sorry to hear of your neighbor. How tragic.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:06 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

freedomfries, really happy for you and your 100 days and that Christmas was good.

Reid, I am so sorry for the loss of your neighbor in such a tragic way at Christmas. Very sad.

My day was just another day. No one in, I didn't even talk to anyone.

I need to create a bit more of a life.

Onward to 2021. It has to be better, eh?

I have a friend who gets up before sunrise on the day after Christmas and takes down the tree. I'm sure he's already got a fire going to burn the bits. I mean, it is 7 AM.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:07 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I'm very sorry to hear of this, Reid. My condolences.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:10 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Bimini-
YOU CRACK ME UP!
I love it. Thank you for bringing joy to my day.

2021 should be better. I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket though.

I had a thought yesterday that this planet was the "experimental" planet in our galaxy. All the other "beings" out there are looking at this place and saying "Yeah, we def don't want to do that. It doesn't seem to be working out very well for them."

Old 12-26-2020, 07:21 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for the kind words. In one way it's good that my Mother has dementia now as she would have been devastated by the news as they were always
close, especially when he had the farm here. When my father was diagnosed with leukemia in 2000, he drove myself and my mother up to the Hospital a few times to
see him, that always stuck in my mind.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:28 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

He sounds like a very kind man. I'm so sorry. Does he have other family on the farm?
Old 12-26-2020, 08:04 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

He has a few sons in Australia so it will be quiet hard for them to get home now.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:17 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sorry about the death of your neighbour Reid, that is a truly shocking tale, it must be hard to process.

Congratulations on your respective milestones Phil and freedomfries!

My Borough, Hackney now has 466 cases of Covid19 per 100,000 of population or four times what it was during the height of the first wave in April. It's going to be a long winter.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:19 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Sorry about the death of your neighbour Reid, that is a truly shocking tale, it must be hard to process.

Congratulations on your respective milestones Phil and freedomfries!

My Borough, Hackney now has 466 cases of Covid19 per 100,000 of population or four times what it was during the height of the first wave in April. It's going to be a long winter.
So 99.5% don't have COVID!