Notices

Merry (lockdown) Christmas Weekenders 25-28 December 2020

Old 12-26-2020, 08:28 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
He has a few sons in Australia so it will be quiet hard for them to get home now.
That is hard.

Hopefully there is someone there who can help keep things somewhat on keel until family can show up and sort it out.
Old 12-26-2020, 06:01 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

We've got Storm Bella raging outside and she seems one angry lady! luckily I’m inside, but she’s sneaking down the chimney!

I hope Boxing Day went off without any hitches for everyone.

See you later. Have a peaceful Sunday. xxxx
Old 12-26-2020, 06:25 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

So sorry about your neighbour Reid. I terrible, shocking tragedy.

Yes Mags storm is raging outside, Daisy is too scared to go in the garden for a wee. I will forgive her any accidents as can't be helped.

2.15 am is not a good time to be wide awake. And I want to eat sweets.
Old 12-26-2020, 11:07 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Mr

Take care in the storm ladies.

My condolences too Reid. May he rest in peace.

My xmas went off without a hitch. 36 hours with the inlaws is possible sober, it was cool even
Old 12-26-2020, 11:25 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders.

I'm up early today as last night my central heating went off and I've had to report an emergency repair to the landlord (who is a housing association). Unbelievable! There's an error code flashing on the boiler (E133) which "Indicates that the gas supply has been interrupted, ignition has failed or the flame has not been detected". Considering my gas cooker is working without a problem I'd say the gas supply is fine. I've tried resetting the boiler as per the instruction booklet but the problem persists. The problem is that I've not only got no heating as a result but also no hot water either and the house is a bit cold. Plus the gas engineer will be arriving at any time between 8am and 10pm so it could be a long (and cold) day...

It's just as well I had no plans for today!
Old 12-26-2020, 11:38 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Magsie

Oh Robbie, keep warm...have you an hot water bottle than you can fill from the kettle (not boiling). I hope they come nearer to 8am to repair it.

Kaily, aw bless her, it certainly horrible outside, I wish Storm Bella would take her hook. My cats went out after much deliberating and flew back in within minutes.

Hi Vinny, pleased you’re Christmas went well with the in-laws.

Yesterday morning it was still dark at 8am. Weird.
Old 12-26-2020, 11:52 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Robbie if I was you I would go back to bed until the engineer arrives. Have a duvet day.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:31 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That is annoying Robbie, sounds like faulty gas valve wiring. I hope the engineer arrives closer to 8am than 10pm.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:40 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

^
Mags and sao - I didn't notice the problem until after 11pm and was told that there were quite a few fault reports already in the system so it would most likely be the afternoon to early evening when the engineer arrives.

Kaily - I've brought my duvet downstairs. My settee is very comfortable for lying on so I've got the duvet to pull over me. If I went back to bed I'd possibly not hear anyone knocking at the door. Despite the fact I've got a doorbell most people seem to ignore it!
Old 12-27-2020, 02:32 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Cripes! Didn’t realise it was a genuine storm with a name!! Yesterday and all last night it was wild and angry and both the cats were scared to death as the chimney was howling, the battering wind on the front of the house and driving rain sounded so loud. Glad it’s over, lovely day today but have got a chance of snow so we’ll see.

xx
Old 12-27-2020, 04:27 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

A Sedate Sunday in progress here pre-Dawn in what's forecast to be decent sunny Weather. A Storm drops a few inches of Snow on Tuesday, so we'll enjoy our today today.

Xmas was just fine here in MesaVille. We customarily exchange a single Gift, and MesaPup's new luxury is my funky pair of prior Boots. Ah, The Simple Life. The loose Boot Laces let me slip them on fast in case Nature dictates a speedy exit outdoors. I get up at 3 A.M. for now, cuz he's ready to go outside then. No biggie. It gives me Coffee time to contemplate all the reasons for Gratitude today. Including the luxury of quiet time later to take a Nap, if req'd.

Sobriety. Life's Better Here...

Old 12-27-2020, 05:54 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Mesaman- That little pup of yours melts my heart! What a love.

Robbie- I am sorry for your heating issue. I had this issue at the beginning of the month. We had to wait an entire week for repair. We were also put into a quarantine. Luckily, I was able to get a few space heaters before we found out husband was a positive case. It was still a bummer and one that I am happy is behind us. You'll be back in action soon.

Have a wonderful day, ALL!
Old 12-27-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

What Mizz P said 2x, Robbie.

Between finishing off this freezing *A* House Shell, and RV Trailer outings, I've compiled a few tricks to keep warm. Besides Space Heaters, I used to sleep under a 500 Watt Quartz Construction Light. Besides the blinding white Light they emit, most of the energy output is Heat. I slipped on some Eye Shades got on Int'l Flights, and kept comfy while schnoozing sans any House Shell Heat at all. The Japanese do versions of this: heat only where you are; not the entire Room.

Another trick I use is Reflectix, or Astrofoil. It's Aluminized Mylar from DIY Stores. It reflects Infrared/Body Heat. In crisp Weather, I sit on a scrap of it lining my Camp Chair. After 30 Seconds or so, you feel like you're on a Heating Pad. But, no Electricity req'd! Wrap an ample piece of it around you, and play Human Burrito! Astrofoil is under all the Drywall in this House, and under our Out Building Walls. Neat stuff!
Old 12-27-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I want to be on whatever DIY forum you're on, Mesa.

That image of MesaPup is iconic. How do you get an image of him awake when he's not running right at you? Puppy pics are tough! So cute.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:15 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Magsie

MesaMan, I’ve seen marathon runners at the end of the race given something like foil to wrap round their shoulders. Maybe a similar thing? Another gorgeous pic of MesaPup

Robbie your duvet will keep you nice and warm until the hearing engineer arrives.

It looks like it’s going to chuck it down here after a cold but sunny morning.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:10 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

MesaMan, the puppy picture is so cute!

Hurrah! The gas engineer has been though at one stage I thought he was never going to leave! It took almost an hour and a half to fix the problem. I'm sure he said there was water leaking from a pipe inside the combi-boiler. Whatever it was he had the boiler in what looked like bits at one stage. At least it's working now and I have both hot radiators and hot water once again.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:32 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Yay, Robbie.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:52 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Are there others here who miss viewing art in the real world during this pandemic? For me, all the museums and other exhibitions, theaters, concerts etc have been the main reasons I live in New York City, and what I miss the most now. So I'm trying to substitute by looking for interesting things online. Found this in my Youtube feed today and thought to share, because it was a very pleasant surprise for me to discover this artist, David Altmejd. I love surreal forms of art - his works is quite unique and imaginative. He also has a nice website.

The weather was quite miserable here over Christmas so I could not enjoy my daily walks, but sunny again for a few days now, even if chilly. I don't mind cold if it's not too windy and winter is one of my favorite seasons (together with the fall), so I do try to enjoy it as much as I can, especially now that I'm sober and don't have a preference for being locked in & getting wasted Have a couple long walks planned for the coming days before it gets rainy again and then I'll have to return to working next week...

Old 12-27-2020, 10:36 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

So, 1.5 hours ago it was raining as per in the North UK. I ordered a curry and when I opened the door to take delivery there is 2 inches of snow!! I am shocked! Little kitten Max is out and has not come home for his tea and has never seen snow before...getting the cat mum panic lol x

So much so I have sent my older Cat, Alfie out to go and find him haha 😂. I know Alfie will always come home, but so worried about kitten Max x
Old 12-27-2020, 12:28 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Kitten Max is home, 3 hours after his tea time which he never misses but he is home yay! X