Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Take a Break this weekend - Weekenders 31 July - 03 August 2020

Notices

Take a Break this weekend - Weekenders 31 July - 03 August 2020

Old 08-02-2020, 06:36 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Reid I found quitting cigarettes pretty difficult, but boy, quitting alcohol is harder. I haven’t had a cigarette in something like 10 years I think. I hope in 10 years I can look back and say. I haven’t had a smoke for 20 years nor a drink for 10 years

40 days done and dusted, on my way to 10 years, then 20

Goodnight everyone
Huge congrats on that 40 days, I know how hard you're working at it.

Drunk painter partner doesn't help, I'm sure.

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Thanks Mags, I'm here. Not been feeling too good so rather than grumble I kept quiet. Feel better today.

Glad to see lots of successful weekenders, new and old.

A special shout out to BEELS, well done quitting drinking to look after you wife. Tough times I am sure. I wish you both well.

Willow I gave up smoking 13 years ago, I found my drinking ramped up to compensate. It was really tough but I agree not as tough as giving up the booze.

I love Truffles Captain, what a handsome chap. I do think you should get another one and call it Chocolate. Then you can stand at the park shouting out Chocolate Truffles.

Today I learn't that wearing a mask smudges my lippy. What is a girl to do...
"Chocolate Truffles"
Smudged lippy.

You crack me up, Kaily. I was thinking about you on my walk yesterday and worrying just a little. You know how I worry. Glad you're here and okay-ish.

In my past "Class of" thread there was someone who tried to herd us all and he wanted to do a roll-call on the daily. He said, "Present and Correct," which I assume is another Brit-ism. I'm glad you're present. I'll let you decide on the correct part.

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Pushing the boat out Owen, I’m guilty of having 2 mugs in a morning.

Willow, I thought the hardest bit of painting is the preparation? Thing is when one room is completed you start comparing the rest of the house, so yep, other rooms get done too.

I’m cleaning the bathroom today. Have to keep sitting down as I run out of puff. This cleaning malarkey is frustrating though, it needs doing again in no time.
Cleaning. Why bother?

Congrats to everyone who has given up life-sucking addictions. As much as they are like whack-a-mole, it is always worth it. I smoked for a long time. Quit 26 years ago now. There are some other past addictions I won't go into but they are also gone now, and I feel at peace with myself. It's a good thing.

Sunday is still my favorite day of the week, but I do not miss my nine year old self in tight pointy shoes and frilly lacy scratchy itchy church clothes. I'll watch my online chill spiritual guy and sip on this mocha latte in soft comfy night clothes, TYVM.

It's a beautiful and hot week here in the Pacific NW. Better get that walk in early.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:32 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

I just realised I made a mistake. Truffle is not a handsome chap at all, she is a glamorous girl. Apologies Captain.

Thanks for the offer of free range grumbling Mags.

Hey Bim, hope you're going somewhere nice for your walk. Sunday best casual's is a must, oh and lippy under the mask!

Old 08-02-2020, 08:40 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Woke early and tackled cover letters and resumes for three different job opportunities and it's not even noon! Grateful for my sober Sunday morning.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:03 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Bim, how do you quote more than one post in your own post? Nothing happens when I select multi-quote.

Copperfield, for what kind of a job are you applying?

Kailey, lippy under the mask made me laugh; you are so clever. Sorry you haven’t been feeling well.

Nefer, thank you for the cartoons - you rock.

Have fun at the beach, Willow. We live in the Shark Tooth Capital - it is almost I’m possible to find a handful each time we are there. If you go after a storm, some rather pristine shells are there for the taking, too - just have to make sure that there is no live inhabitant. (Ooooops, just read you didn’t make it to the beach and are painting, instead).

Mags, I hear you about cleaning! My mother-in-law used to say that houses should be round with plastic interiors and a drain in the middle so one only had to hose it down.

A happy Sunday/Monday to all.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:19 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

^^^^^Meant to say “it is almost impossible NOT to find a handful”
Old 08-02-2020, 09:22 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

You click on multiquote for the first one you want love, then click on quote for the one/ones after that. s xx
Old 08-02-2020, 09:22 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

I need food....off to make lunch....would anyone else like a poppy seed bagel with smoked salmon, cream cheese and tomato ?
Old 08-02-2020, 09:37 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
I just realised I made a mistake. Truffle is not a handsome chap at all, she is a glamorous girl. Apologies Captain.
Thanks Kaily, no worries. For some reason my wife and I mostly talk about our pet dogs in the masculine (he, his, him) even if they are female. Some people find that’s strange, but that’s just how we got used to. I’m glad you posted and hope your spirits will pick up soon.

For the first time in a while I’m having a bit of Sunday night blues. When I go to bed tonight at least I’ll be able to say to myself that I do so sober, which is a biggie. By the way, has anyone noticed how much better it feels to crawl into bed at night and experience a natural, healthy sense of tiredness, instead of being half anaesthetised by alcohol?
Old 08-02-2020, 09:52 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

What a coincidence Suze, I just pan fried some salmon for myself. Love me some salmon!
Old 08-02-2020, 10:19 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I need food....off to make lunch....would anyone else like a poppy seed bagel with smoked salmon, cream cheese and tomato ?
I'll take one! I love a good bagel. There was a restaurant here that made bagels, but they haven't reopened. We used to go there after our Saturday morning AA meeting.

I'm trying to get motivated to stack wood close to the house and clear space for a delivery of more wood. But it's been SO hot here, almost 80˚ F! I guess I should take this to Whiners Anonymous...

I was thrilled to see our 16-year-old cat RUN across the yard this morning. He had been kind of limping, and were worried that he might be going lame. It was good to see that he still has some spunk!

I hope everyone has a good sober Sunday!
Old 08-02-2020, 10:23 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Bagel with courier on way to Orcas Island.....
And very happy to hear that about your 16-year old cat dear Coldie. ❤️
Old 08-02-2020, 11:12 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Nothing happens when I hit MULTIQUOTE. The icon justo turns black and nothing at all happens

Yes, I’d love a bagel please, Suze.

Coled fusion, it must have been great to see your cat take-off like that. How nice.

And, yes, CaptainHaddock, going to bed sober is second only to waking hangover free!
Old 08-02-2020, 02:58 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Hi friends. Ahh, cleaning... I did the oven over the weekend - a messy and somewhat hazardous task but it had to be done.

A few days ago one of my newer housemates asked me whether I ever go out for a pint or two. I responded no and said that I used to and I'd drink a bit too much, then added 'actually, quite a lot too much'. His knowing response was simply 'well you're ok now so that's what matters'. Hmm... I suppose so, but I surprised myself that I was quite so open. Maybe I'm getting more comfortable in my sobriety.

Anyway, an early start tomorrow so I'd better get on. Well done to everyone on another successful weekend. Forwards.

PS: The lasagne was very tasty indeed!

Old 08-02-2020, 06:27 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

SoberLeigh: Anything to get me out of bartending/serving. All my music gigs are postponed so I have to find something to replace that income.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:43 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

So, who are ready for the fitness challenge?

Our goal is to build a sustainable habit of making physical activity an integral and non-negotiable part of life, because its benefits are tremendous.

They say that the growth happens when we push ourselves at 4% of what feels comfortable at the moment.

So, today I want you to start slow.

"Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast".

Look at your current physical activity and add 4% to it.

If you don't do this at all, then do 5-10 minutes of any activity of your choice - brisk walking, body-weight squats, going up stairs - anything that pumps the heart rate a bit.

It's a totally doable task, but needs to be every day. No excuses.

Let's go!

I will post about my 4% when I am back from work - just to keep you intrigued)

Have a great week.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:17 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Hi Midnight, I am ready to try. Last week, after your inspiring post, I went over the top. I did four consecutive 85 minutes power walks, plus an extra 30 minutes in the afternoons. As a daily walker I thought I could cope! Unfortunately I have chronic fatigue syndrome and completely knocked myself out, both physically and cognitively. The medical advice for myself is to limit activities even on good days, to conserve energy, thus not having bad days.

It is utterly frustrating, but was a timely reminder and I spent a couple of days in bed exhausted.

But I still want to try, having rested I feel better. So I will power walk today, I will be heading out just after 7am. I might have to do 4% less rather than more.

I also want to say your post last week has helped me to stay focused in doing what I promised myself I would do. Silly things like bathing Alfie - yesterday morning I promised myself it was a job I would do. By the afternoon I was telling myself he didn't really need a bath. Then I remembered to be true to myself and do what I said I would! Several other things during the week as well.

Thank you.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:25 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Midnight! I’ll be going to the park for a walk.

Kaily, enjoy your walk this morning.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:44 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

I'm back. I did the exact same route in 110 minutes instead of 85. So that's an increase in 4.4%. In other words I took it a bit more gently! I'm not sure its quite what Midnight mean't.

Enjoy your walk too Mags. Roll from your heel to your toe as you march along.

I hope your Sunday slump has improved today Captain.

I am glad you felt comfortable, Forwards, to tell your housemate honestly about your reasons for not drinking and what a lovely response he gave you! If only everyone could be so understanding.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:14 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Too tired from walk to play.

Old 08-03-2020, 05:06 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Poor Alfie