Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Take a Break this weekend - Weekenders 31 July - 03 August 2020

Notices

Take a Break this weekend - Weekenders 31 July - 03 August 2020

Old 08-03-2020, 09:11 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Thanks Midnight. Yes it is good to trust myself a little and do what I set out to. Still can't trust myself with chocolate though!

16 push ups is impressive. How often do we add (or minus) the 4%?

Soberleigh and Venus I hope you both heal quickly and are able to get out walking again soon.

Sounds like you saw 4% more wildlife Bim . I love seals and their smiley looking faces.

Hope your tummy is better today Sao.

I have a doctors appointment at 9am. A real one, in person, not a phone call. So walking will need to before, heading out at 6am .

Old 08-03-2020, 09:27 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The only 'wild animals' that I see in my small-city yard are raccoons, skunks, and possums. They come to the back yard to eat the cat food I put out for the strays.

Well, most of my bills are paid. Not much money left, but the bills are paid. Now I can breathe.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:39 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
How often do we add (or minus) the 4%?
Kaily, hope your early morning doctor’s appointment goes well. We’ll have to hear from Midnight, but I have a suspicion that it might be weekly and to the power of 2, i.e. 4%, 16% and so on.

Bim, Cityboy, SoberLeigh it sounds like you are posting from game park getaways. Such a privilege to be living alongside such wildlife.

Soa, I hope it’s only a stomach bug and clears within a day or two.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:41 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Midnight, I didn’t get out yesterday and I don’t think I will today either. I’m going to be late to the start but I’ll get there! Thank you (asthma sucks, so does housework! )

Bim, I love your neighbourhood youngsters.

Saou, I hope your stomach ache is nothing more than that.

See you later. xx

Old 08-03-2020, 09:59 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Kaily, hope your early morning doctor’s appointment goes well. We’ll have to hear from Midnight, but I have a suspicion that it might be weekly and to the power of 2, i.e. 4%, 16% and so on.
Thanks Captain.

Ha if that is the case, I think I may of peaked too soon. I will be out walking all day.

Sorry you're not feeling too good Mags. Take it easy.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:24 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

I have often wondered how scary it would be to live in a country where the wild animals could eat you. I think I would be scared of panthers and bears. And lions and tigers. And all of those big carnivores.
We don’t have any animals that will eat us here, except near or in the water (crocodiles and sharks). I guess we have plenty that will kill us (snakes and spiders) (and jellyfish in the water) but they’re mostly easily avoided. They don’t stalk you, pounce on you and eat you (except crocodiles sometimes do that near water).

I love going out walking and looking for wildlife, but I’m a bit sceptical about going out where there are bears and panthers.... Although I did get very scared by a pack of dingoes one night years ago. I don’t think they generally eat adult people though.

I walked for 40 minutes today and saw seagulls
Tuesday’s mission accomplished
Old 08-04-2020, 01:56 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Morning all!

I love reading about the variety of wildlife that posters have living near them. As a town dweller I get to see so few examples of wildlife other than birds and occasionally a fox. And sometimes a hedgehog. That's about it though.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:12 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

The sharks are really the only things that terrify me. They mind their own business most of the time except for when someone is spearfishing, which is why I don't do it. My sister loves snorkeling as much as anyone but is absolutely terrified of the sharks, so it's funny when she starts drinking wine and talking about it.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:10 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Yeah, I scuba dive and I have a dive buddy who is one of those people who runs excursions to swim with tiger sharks in the Bahamas. I am not too comfortable when I see them in the wild but he assures me they will (most likely) leave me alone. It's not an assurance I take on board. It's not like there's a shark repellent spray either.

We have cougars here - there was one sighted at the school in my town not too long ago and where I live has enough tree areas left that I'm sure they're nearby. They don't generally attack and eat people, Willow. Except that one time...

It is all I've got since the zoo has all those people with cooties.

I'm actually far more worried about the string of volcanoes in the area and earthquakes.

Midnight, have you ever thought about joining over at Myfitnesspal? There is a whole section of the forums just devoted to Challenges. You'd be a great group leader over there. Probably get more interest too. Although I have to say people are pretty flaky in general, and I'm including myself in that. I like online forums because I can come and go as I please and offer what I want without strings. I've done enough fitness challenges to know it's not my thing. I don't like group fitness either - or even gyms for that matter. I guess you are now Kaily's personal trainer. Go Kaily, I'll be cheering you on. Hope the doctor thing is helpful.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:20 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Most of the panthers are in south Florida in or near Big Cypress. They wander around much of the state though, especially the juvenile males I think.

The Bobcats seem to stay out of sight mostly but I know they like rabbits. The rabbits that hang out in the yard are nearly tame and do not seem like they would stand a chance against a bobcat.

I like panthers, bobcats, and foxes, but not the coyotes. The Florida black bears are like giant raccoons and can be a nuisance, but we don't have a problem at our house.
We have an abundance of rabbits, CityBoy. Lots of armadillos, too.

There have been what I presume to be bobcat fights the past few nights; now that is a scary sound.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:55 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm hoping a few of my critics at work will be eaten by bears but they are not numerous in London (bears that is, my critics are numerous and widely dispersed)

Feeling much better today. Actually I was feeling better by the time I went to bed last night. It was probably just something I ate.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:03 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

When it rains.

I got two pieces of mail - mail is not ever a good thing, so there's that.

One from an old financial institution telling me their records were breached. Great.

One from the local government telling me I may need flood insurance now as the floodplain maps have been "updated." Great.

No one sent me a $1200 check.

Great.

*edit, oh! But I just looked up and the five otters are frolicking past. Makes that floodplain worth it.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:28 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Bim, if you feel your are entitled to the $1,200 Stimulus check, you can go to IRS.gov to state your case.

I read an article a few days about the revisions to the US floodplain maps stating that many more vulnerable areas were being added to the maps.

Here is something which is sure to bring a smile to your face:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...x2vlDLbmNyJtFZ

❤️
Old 08-04-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

I am still laughing with love at Willow..... "I have often wondered how scary it would be to live in a country where the wild animals could eat you. "

Mostly because as an Aussie living in America, I have been asked over and over and over and over how we survive in Australia with all of the dangerous snakes and spiders that can kill you. And crocodiles and stingrays of course. And those kangaroos pack a wallop....watch out for those tails.

Well, it is pouring here Bim and I didn't get anything but catalogues today.
Sorry about the breach. s
Old 08-04-2020, 09:34 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Something for those in the path of Isiais:

Old 08-04-2020, 10:30 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I am still laughing with love at Willow..... "I have often wondered how scary it would be to live in a country where the wild animals could eat you. "

Mostly because as an Aussie living in America, I have been asked over and over and over and over how we survive in Australia with all of the dangerous snakes and spiders that can kill you. And crocodiles and stingrays of course. And those kangaroos pack a wallop....watch out for those tails.
I tried hard to to keep from addIng my two pence worth to this whole debate, but now I can’t hold back any longer. Aus is right up there, okay, in terms of nasty and dangerous animals, but guess on which continent elephants, rhinoceroses, buffalo, lion, leopard, hyena, crocodiles, gorillas, black mambas, puff adders, various cobras, black widow spiders and great white sharks are all in the mix?
Old 08-04-2020, 10:36 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

I hear you, Captain. One of my favorite shows when I was a child was Tarzan. Those wild animals and snakes and amphibians scared the heck out of me. BUT what scared me the absolute most was the quicksand; that stuff still enters my dreams at times.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:38 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Let's go on safari!!!!!
But we are staying in the truck.....unlike some of those silly tourists who get eaten by a lion.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:42 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Ps: I forgot to add pythons and ostriches to the list .

Old 08-04-2020, 10:49 AM
  # 180 (permalink)