Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Take a Break this weekend - Weekenders 31 July - 03 August 2020

Notices

Take a Break this weekend - Weekenders 31 July - 03 August 2020

Old 08-01-2020, 04:18 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I did it! I experienced another Friday sober! I'm now 10 days, 2 hours and 15 minutes into sobriety and it's been a real blessing. I woke up this morning feeling refreshed and full of energy instead of sleeping in and then nursing my hangover on the couch the rest of the day.

My wife did the normal Friday routine of getting drunk to the point of incapacitation. I engaged in some hobby time. I took the dog for about the 700th walk in the past 10 days. I drank a few gallons of water with lemon. Most important was that I stayed sober, and frankly I don't feel like I missed out on anything. I had a really nice evening and I'm having a rewarding morning. I need to stop romanticizing alcohol in my mind and recognize it for what it really is. This life is so much better than what I had before.

Happy Saturday, my sober friends. Let's conquer tonight together!
Old 08-01-2020, 04:36 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

My spouse is no day at the beach, but at least he doesn't drink. Going to see some family tonight, I haven't seen in a very long time. Actually looking forward to it!
Old 08-01-2020, 04:48 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders SirFHaddock! Congratulations on 4 weekends sober. Btw are you related to the Captain?

Well done IMA2020, the only thing you missed out on was a hangover. I hope your wife will quit too at some point in her own time as I'm sure that would make things easier.

Thanks for the link Robbie, I must have walked a few bits of pedal myself. Many years (decades) ago the Greater London Council -which used to be responsible for the London Underground - asked people for ideas for the Underground. I sent in a plan to convert the Circle Line (the bit in the middle of London) into travelators. I received a polite thank you and nothing else. Many years later I saw a company had submitted a similar, though much more detailed plan.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:57 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Sweet looking dog captainhaddock.

Congrats on your fourth weekend sirf. I'm sure the GP will be just fine without the beer. One of my final challenges will be watching college football without the beer, but the tab will be a lot cheaper.

Love the picture and the history soa and robbie.

Forwards, you reminded me of how I used to raid my wife's cooking wine stash when my stock ran out.

Neferk, I loved those bugs bunny road runner skits on Saturday morning when I was not mowing grass or something. The Birds Anonymous one was one of my favorites even before I quit drinking.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:10 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itsmeagain2020 View Post
about the 700th walk in the past 10 days.
That made me chuckle haha 😆

Congrats mate. It feels great doesn't it?
Old 08-01-2020, 05:11 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Welcome to Weekenders SirFHaddock! Congratulations on 4 weekends sober. Btw are you related to the Captain?
Sir Francis Haddock is Captain's ancient forefather of the 17th century, a Ship-of-the-Line Captain in the Royal Navy who commanded the Unicorn.

Thanks Cityboy, usually I go every year, but obviously can't this year so it's a bit different in that way too.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:23 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Magsie

Itsmeagain, congratulations on your 10 days, 2 hours and 15 minutes + sober!

Awake, enjoy your visit to your family later.

Nice pic Saou.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:09 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Old 08-01-2020, 07:44 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Beels, good on you for deciding to be present and of help to your spouse in this most difficult time.

Everyone who's making it through those first days and weeks are heroes, truly inspirations. Owen, itsmeagain, Beels, Willow, vMan, CaptainHaddock and the other SirHaddock, copperfield, Robbie - just some really good stuff in this thread. We all need a bit of hopeful life-affirming news, so thank you.

Forwards, what time is lasagna? Homemade sounds perfect.

CityBoy, you might not be watching college football this year sober or not. I have a male cousin who is really at odds without live sports. Unfortunately his mother died in the past year too and I'm afraid his drinking might be getting out of control...it worries me, we definitely got the gene. I've tried to talk to him a bit about it, not much else I can do.

Coldfusion, how did your Zoom meeting go?

Sober Saturday morning never gets old.

Hi, andyh.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:48 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

On day 5. I saw a post in another thread by cold fusion. A link to online AA. I thought why not.

it was good. I’m in the middle west and the meeting was in Seattle. A really great group of people. Several had birthdays... their sober dates. 11 years... 13 years... 1 year. They seem so happy and thankful. Also with some cautious awareness that this is hard work.

todays meeting kinda focused on that. Every day requires a level of action to work the steps. Thinking about it isn’t enough. Staying in my comfort zone will not lead to long term success.

im guessing all of you already know this. If you are new like me... try a meeting online. You can mute your audio and video and just listen,

im really floored that I did that. Thank you coldfusion, not even sure that member is in here. New to this too,

have a good day. More chores and feedings keeping me busy today. I will not drink today.

B
Old 08-01-2020, 07:52 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Yeah, Coldfusion reads this thread Beels and he'll be thrilled you visited the meeting.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Beels, copperfield, anxiousrock and SirFHaddock - welcome and and congrats on choosing sobriety.

Beels, you have so much on your plate; moan all you need and lean on us, too. It is our honor to help you during this time.

Forwards, congrats on that new-job first paycheck. Enjoy your delicious celebratory dinner.

CaptainHaddock, what a beautiful and relaxed pup. I know that he has been in the shadows of photos but this may be the first time that I have actually seen him.

Sao, I remember seeing the Barbicon in passing but not having the time to investigate.

Mags and Sao, try and stay cool. I keep seeing a pop-up that advertises a truly mini AC device (Blaux) for about $79.00. I don’t know if they make a unit available for UK currency but might be worth a Google.

nefer, good to see you here.

Beels, kudos on getting an AA online meeting in.

Well done, it’smeagain. There is so much of a good life to live sober! We miss so much in alcoholic stupors. We aren’t missing a single worthwhile moment in sobriety.

and have a good day, all.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:24 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Mr

Bonjour weekender aficionados 😁

Thanks for the the thread Mags.

Hope everyone is doing OK and mozying along soberly. Did Kaily check in to the new weekender ?

I had a pretty difficult week. Had some seriously awful drinking thinking that lasted a few days. Didnt drink though and feeling chuffed about that. 135 days sober. The addicted vman is slowly fading.

I don't log in as much these times but it's great to see so many new weekenders.
This is a great thread.

Peace to all.
Vinny (the frog) 🐸🐸
Old 08-01-2020, 09:39 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Well done,Vman - strong and victorious; what a great combo! So good to see you here.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:25 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Vinny, thanks for dropping in. You are part of the furniture here and the one that first got me posting on the Weekender, so thanks for that. Glad you are still holding on, or rather transitioning into your new lifestyle.

Bim, thanks for the shout-out to all of us in early recovery. Some amongst that group might be “more experienced” at sobriety that those that set out for the first time, but in the early stages we really are all equal. We experience much the same things and all benefit from encouragement.

Soa, to answer your earlier question, our Corgi (or pooch as you referred to her) is called Truffle.

In Hergé’s Adventures of Tintin both Sir Francis Haddock and Captain Haddock unfortunately had a predisposition to overindulge in alcohol (which supports my belief that genetics may play a role). In the last completed installment in the series Captain Haddock got “cured” from his alcoholism, thanks to a medication formulated by his friend, Professor Calculus that, once taken, made the taste of alcohol utterly repulsive. It is open to interpretation, but to me it seems that a single pill would have a lifelong effect.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:46 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Old 08-01-2020, 12:32 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

You are seriously cheering me up today dear nef......love you muchly. s ❤️
Old 08-01-2020, 02:39 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Well done on the sober time so far, Vinny.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:09 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness the muppets doing Bohemian Rhapsody is a cracker!

Just popping in Sunday morning.
I’m on my 40th consecutive sober day, yay!
I’m off to the beach, see you all later
Old 08-01-2020, 03:27 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Willow you are so FANTASTIC congratulations. Be proud of yourself because we all are.