Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Take a Break this weekend - Weekenders 31 July - 03 August 2020

Notices

Old 07-30-2020, 12:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

to the Weekenders

Taking a break from alcohol this weekend.

If you’re here and reading this you’re probably like us, alcohol causing problems in your life, and may have even took over your life!

If so, perhaps you’d like to have a break from alcohol?

Take away all the stress and hangovers, the blackouts and anxieties.

Not having alcohol gives us a chance to live without the guilt of what we did and said and how we behaved when we drank.

Also, it clears our mind to get on with life. There is life after alcohol.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)
Old 07-30-2020, 12:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks as always Mags

D
Old 07-30-2020, 01:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags,

I’m definitely taking a break from alcohol this weekend. A permanent break!
This is my 6th consecutive weekend sober, and every one of them is soooo much better than a drinking weekend

I’m not calling shotgun again this week because 3 in a row is just plain greedy
Old 07-30-2020, 01:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Willow, the weekends soon add up! Nice one on your 6th weekend.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In as well, thanks Mags, for my 5th consecutive sober weekend.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My second sober weekend in a row is coming up. I've got this!

Also Mags, your post reminded me of all the dumb stuff I posted on Facebook when I was drunk. Ugh. I had to delete my account so I wouldn't keep embarrassing myself.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on your 5th consecutive weekend, Captain.

itsmeagain2020, I can see you’ve got this.👍 Thankfully we don’t have to embarrass ourselves anymore. Congratulations on your 2nd weekend.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6th, 5th and 2nd sober weekends Willow, Captain and itsmeagain.

For anyone struggling ...

Its worth the effort!

Old 07-30-2020, 04:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Take away all the stress and hangovers, the blackouts and anxieties. Not having alcohol gives us a chance to live without the guilt of what we did and said and how we behaved when we drank. Also, it clears our mind to get on with life."

- No true words ever spoken, or written.

Itsmeagain, so many of my days used to start out with "I absolutely can not believe that I wrote that on the internet last night".
Old 07-30-2020, 06:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post Mags. This will be my second weekend I am taking on. Let's do this!
Old 07-30-2020, 06:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I’m in and thank you Mags
Old 07-30-2020, 07:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags and I'm in for a third consecutive sober weekend.

Well done to everyone who is on multiple sober weekends and welcome to anyone who is making this their first sober weekend.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in! Thanks, Mags.

Going to my man friend's cabin this weekend. It will be a nice getaway. We usually go up there for the day, just to do maintenance, and then come right home. I hate that and I told him in no uncertain terms that we will spend 2 nights there this time. He has a weird relationship with the place and it is hard to get him to stay and relax there. It's a long story - he just sees all the work that still needs to be done (in a nutshell - it was in his family for generations, he and his dad gutted it and started a massive renovation, his dad got alzheimer's and then passed away 7 years ago, so he's been trying to finish it on his own since then - so to him it's kind of a burden). Anyway, we are going up tomorrow afternoon, we will do the work, and then his brother will join us and we can have some fun Saturday and Sunday. Man friend has his court date for his DUI this afternoon. He needs to have a little fun this weekend.

Leftover from the last thread - I LOVE those tiles!!! I need to do a tile backsplash in my kitchen to really finish the renovation that I did last fall, and I might see if those tiles are durable enough to use like that, and make some of my own as accent tiles.

It's getting real now that my daughter is leaving for college soon. We are gathering dorm room supplies and she is now in contact with her roommate. They seem to have a lot in common and get along, at least in snapchat and other online communication. I have a ton of anxiety about this - sending her away from the safety of home in the current atmosphere has me quite uneasy. I have to try to not show here this. She's very excited and happy and I need her to keep feeling that way. It's also getting real that I'll be back to work on campus pretty soon. So much extra planning and precautions - it's all so complicated and I have anxiety surrounding that, too. It's going to be a challenging couple of months.

But one thing I have learned in sobriety is that I CAN DO HARD THINGS. I don't have to use alcohol to help me get through difficult or challenging times. It used to be my fallback to drink when things got stressful. I have been through some pretty tough stuff in the past 5 and half years plus of sobriety. I don't even think about using alcohol to help me get through that stuff anymore. Every time we get through a rough patch without it, we get stronger and more confident in our abilities to power through. It's hard sometimes, but I know I can figure out how to deal with life on life's terms without numbing myself or escaping.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm in!

SHOTGUN!
(no one else has claimed it!)

Welcome to Weekenders itsmeagain2020!

Dreading what you posted on social media to your friends, family or work colleagues is an awful feeling and a distinctly 21st Century drawback to drinking too much. If you are drinking then it's one more thing to worry about on top of everything else I suppose.

Róisín Murphy in lockdown mode.

https://youtu.be/dyIRVa7qbPU

Old 07-30-2020, 07:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags; another great OP!

Another Weekend ahead. We can do this.

Willow - 6; Captain - 5; Robbie - 3; copperfield - 2; itsmeagain - 2. Great under the belt or coming up counts. Weekends are so much better, sober, huh!

MLD, there is a lacquer that can be sprayed on the tiles. Mine have held up so far as hot plates and trivets with a simple wipe-clean. I am not sure they would hold up to household cleaners, though.

Another fun crafty project is something called acrylic on glass. It is very easy and fun but does involve the use of a small blow torch which takes some practice.

Have a nice time at the cabin, MLD. Hope things go okay in court today.

Enjoyed the video, Sao. I wonder where Riosin found that headpiece; it looks a fine thing to don on a bad hair day or to hide a crepey neck!

A lovely day to all.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey everyone Looking forward to my second consecutive sober weekend ahead. My return to work has been a bit crazy. One of my primary freezers blew up, so getting that fixed quickly has been hectic... but glad to be back at work as it distracts me from my AV for 8 hours.

Hope you are all doing okay

Enjoy your time at the cabin MLD Sounds awesome
Old 07-30-2020, 08:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Distraction is good, Owen. But don't forget to take care of yourself. Stay hydrated, eat, take breaks to breathe. Letting yourself get tired, hungry, or thirsty is kind of dangerous. Even to this day, if I feel like a drink might be a good idea (rare) it's usually because I'm actually hungry or thirsty.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks MLD. I am taking more breaks than I usually do. I need to stay more hydrated though for sure.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Nice to see you back, owen. My home refrigerator died in the middle of a heat wave, and yeah it's hectic. I can imagine X 1,000 with a restaurant freezer.

Have fun at the cabin, MLD. It's good the guy-friend is having his day in court. At least he'll know what's what with his DUI.

Every morning I think about going to the zoo and every morning I have to talk back to that thought. For a year and a half I went nearly every day. It's hard, yo.

I'd like to take a break from life sometimes.

I guess that's not an option! I'm super glad and grateful I'm not escaping into a bottle these days. So glad.

Keep it going, Willow. Really happy something seems to have clicked for you.

I'm off for my walk before it gets too warm out there. I'd take my kitty cat but she wouldn't be this well behaved.

Ask me how I know...

Old 07-30-2020, 08:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Nice to see you back, owen. My home refrigerator died in the middle of a heat wave, and yeah it's hectic. I can imagine X 1,000 with a restaurant freezer.

Every morning I think about going to the zoo
Yeah, it's not fun. The worst part was getting an engineer out, the contracted company we used are infamously slow at responding to work orders. But hey, it's all fixed now and i'm still sober, which is the main thing for me.

Also, I love zoos! there's probably lots of zoos live streaming stuff, have you checked that out? Not quite the same but better than nothing