Notices

Soberly it Goes, Weekenders 15 - 18 May 2020

Old 05-15-2020, 07:04 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Happy Friday!

Has anyone else noticed that you cannot see if people have "thanked" your post? I have a thanks button (SR Desktop, Chrome on a Mac) and if I thank someone it shows at the bottom, but I can no longer see other peoples' names in the "thanks" area like I used to be able to. I can't be the only one thanking posts.

It's going to be a gorgeous day here, and I plan on getting out in it. I'm painting the decorative shutters on the front of my house to match the new green front door I got last summer (shutters are black), and have been working on it bit by bit all week. My original plan was to order new shutters and just replace them, but I put it off and now I need a solution quickly. My landscaping projects gets under way on Monday. New shutters would take weeks to get here, and I don't want to be disturbing the new landscaping with ladders and stuff. Then my next plan was to take the shutters down, paint them, and put them back up. Well that turned out to be really difficult, so I'm stuck painting them in place, up on a ladder. It's tedious work, because they have louvers, but it gets me outside so It's ok. I don't love being on a ladder (in fact I rather hate it), but I just try to breathe and forget I'm up there. I have a very big, sturdy, safe ladder, but I hate heights. So hopefully I get that finished before it starts raining here tomorrow. I think I can do it. So far the ones that are done look great, and the paint I had custom-mixed is a perfect match, so it will be worth the effort.

Work is quieting down for a week or so now. We are between terms, so I have a little less to do. Then class registration for incoming students for fall begins, all online this year, and I am being pressed into service in a way I never have been before. Usually new students come to campus and register fro classes in person so they can get face-to-face help and contact with someone from the department they are majoring in. I generally have very little to do with it. I'll have to be online all day every day for a couple of weeks to help with various behind-the-scenes tasks. So I need to enjoy this small respite while I can.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:05 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I'm happy to hear that you found a new carer, Reid, an I hope it works out. And if I haven't already said it, CONGRATULATIONS on a year sober!!
Old 05-15-2020, 07:08 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Sweets and bread, both past addictions. It took me years to sort through that one. I just can't have sweets in the house or I will eat all of them until they are gone. One package is one serving to me. Bread I can usually moderate now...not always. I'm not willing to give it up so I just log my food diligently and make sure I'm getting enough protein, fat, fiber and vegetables. That keeps it in check.

Kaily, you'll figure it out when you're ready.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:17 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

I've been hitting the sweets hard during the lockdown also. I know I can discipline myself, I've done it before, but I'm having a hard time with it these days. Comfort eating. And addiction. It's time to figure that out, because I am starting to really notice the effects.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:20 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Yes bread as well. I hadn't had any for months as was being so good and not eating any carbs then lockdown came. I bought a pack of six rolls and ate them all like I had been starved, haven't stopped since.

So annoying that I can't have an occasional sweet or sandwich without becoming totally addicted. I can't moderate ANYTHING!

Bim one package is a starter to me. Its ugly.

Walkies now.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:25 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

:nod:

It's a pretty common problem. It's biochemical.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:13 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Magsie

Midnight, I hope the coffee and workout helped.

Reid, great news that you got your mum a new carer.

kaily, I’m eating much more since the lockdown.

Marty, I can’t see the thanks either.i think they may still be ironing out a few blips.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:21 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

MLD, the thanks issue is the same for me.

Sweets and breads, my downfall, too - also Bob Evans mashed potatoes. All of those items saw me through the early days of sobriety (mid and later days, too ). I suspect that they will remain a struggle for the rest of my life. If only I could moderate; I don’t think that I was born with the moderation gene. I fear that the “COVID-15” applies to me. I was able to take a nice walk for a while but, with the loosening restrictions, it is now almost impossible to keep the six foot distance suggestion. And those big, huffing and puffing runners - yikes!

Reide, so good that you have a new care person for your mother - phew!
Old 05-15-2020, 09:39 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm not sure what the point of having a "thanks" button is if you can't see it other than as a marker so I know where I have read up to. Meh.

Well done on finding a new career si promptly Reid.

Mags, a good friend posted a video of those penguins elsewhere, it is not on YouTube but hopefully this link will show it. I am STUNNED they preferred Caravaggio to Monet.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/14/pengu...us-stir-crazy/

Old 05-15-2020, 09:48 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Sao, how does a penquin hold its house together?
Old 05-15-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

I am dying to know least.

It is being fixed dear Sao. They are working on it. ❤️
Old 05-15-2020, 10:37 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Ha ha I had to look up COVID 15.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:42 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Hey...I can see the "thanks"...
Old 05-15-2020, 11:00 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Sao, how does a penquin hold its house together?
I reckon the answer involves igloo
Old 05-15-2020, 11:07 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Magsie

I can see the thanks now. And the smilies are all different, better! Yaay.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:12 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

I can see the thanks now, too!
Old 05-15-2020, 02:40 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I reckon the answer involves igloo
Absolutely! I can fool my grandson but not you, Sao!
Old 05-15-2020, 03:24 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Just popping in. I'm glad to know that it's not just me that's been ploughing through the sweet stuff and bread too. I've been eating far too much, binge eating in the way I used to binge drink. It's got to stop, I've had a good day today, no junk food but that's the first time in a while.
I can see that the 'thanks' has been fixed now and we can see who's thanked the posts, the techno guys have had a tough job on, they've done well.

I hope you managed to get your shutters finished MLD1, I'm sure all the hard work will be worth it and they'll look lovely.

Bimini, I'm the same with sweets, I can't have them in the house because if I do, I can't rest until they're all gone.

Mags, I couldn't see the thanks this morning but I can now.

Kaily, me too re the bread, especially if its fresh and crusty, I can't leave it alone.

Happy birthday for yesterday MidnightBlue, I hope you had a lovely day, all things considered.

Many congratulations on 12 months sober Reid, that's wonderful.

I wonder how the penguins got into the museum Sauchick.

I'm off to bed now, so goodnight all, I've got the excitement ( not) of a shopping trip to Lidl in the morning, the highlight of my social life, lol.

Keep safe. xx

Old 05-15-2020, 05:37 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Still experiencing glitches in SR virtuality.

Saw my physio yesterday- the painful regime of 'massages' (hurts) and exercises appears to be making a diff. No migraine auras for a week.

This is massive and awesome and stuff.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:39 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Hey...I can see the "thanks"...
Yep. Me too. Yippee!