Notices

Soberly it Goes, Weekenders 15 - 18 May 2020

Old 05-20-2020, 11:41 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Thanks, lunar.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:30 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
I don't know anything about forest farming, it must be sad to see the trees come down but I do realise we need timber. The woods I walk in are 413 acres so pretty big and hopefully they will be around for hundreds of years (In case I ever come back).

Captain I hope you find a more cost effective way to sort out your key problem. I bet you cursed!
As someone else remarked a while ago, your wit appeals to me as well. And yes, my best attempts to suppress notwithstanding, I cursed at least a bit.
Anyway, tomorrow’s Friday and I can think of at least a handful of things I should be grateful for.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:37 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Wait a moment, tomorrow is Thursday isn‘t it? I‘m really bad at keeping track of days of late.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:41 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, Captain. If I had to undergo one of those cognitive function tests today, I would do okay on identifying the current US president and the current year, but I wouldn’t do so well on the date or even the day of the week. In the middle of the night, I may have a problem on all four.

I am fond of Kaily’s wit, too!
Old 05-20-2020, 12:55 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Evening Leigh. Yes you are right, and I think that cognitive test that you allude to is called the mini-mental state examination. Right now I‘m not convinced I would pass either.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
New keys cost 6% of the car's value? Darn.

Reid, so you are getting ready to cut 44 acres of timber? Cool. When I think of Ireland, timber cutting is not the first thing that comes to mind. The same for most people could be said of Florida I would imagine. Pictures of the operation would be great!

Also, I would have thought that land area in Ireland would be referred to in terms of hectares instead of acres. Shows how much I know, eh.

The forest has been planted 20 years now. They have been thinned once so far (ie they cut out every 7th row of trees to allow more air and light for the neighboring trees to grow more and develop better)
We are in a farm partnership with a forestry company here, which means they do all the work (making roads, thinning and cutting costs, transportation, etc) so obviously they get a share of the
profits when they are cut fully.

They will be thinned another two times all going well until they are clear felled (cut down fully) It is a long term investment of up to 35 years but the projected profits
are a couple hundred thousands of euros, timber is very valuable. I'll be nearly 50 before I see any of the big money anyway! We also get grants from the government each year for planting which can
be several thousand euros tax free. Also, we mainly use acres still here. It's like km and miles.....all the signs, map, etc are in kms but everyone in conversation will say give direction in miles!!
Old 05-20-2020, 09:41 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It is party town where I live but because everywhere is shut I can have the windows open at night which was handy as it was a scorcher last night. There are some aspects of the lockdown I am enjoying.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:26 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  
Magsie

I saw the news how there is a lot less pollution with most of us on the lockdown. I wonder if when things get back to a new normal, our ideals may change?

Lovely roses Kaily.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:19 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  
Magsie

New thread begins here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ay-2020-a.html (Welcome to Weekenders 22-25 May 2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 09:52 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Morning Weekenders

Coldfusion, great picture. Sounds lovely and remote where you live.

@Kaily lovely picture, has Alfie run ahead!

I love these pop-up thingys.

@MLD51 your garden will look fantastic, have you decided what plants/bushes/shrubs etc you’re having or do they advise?

Lovely and sunny day here, it’s going to be a hot one apparently. My injections are being delivered today. Not due to use them for a couple of weeks though.

Stay safe and take care. xx
Mags, they don't just advise, they supply and plant everything. Almost at the finish line now. They just need to wait for some materials that were delayed, and it will be complete! Possibly today, but probably tomorrow. I am beyond thrilled with how it is turning out. I will post pictures when it's all done!

I have just emerged from a whole morning of online meetings. Ugh. That is one thing I will not miss about working from home. I really don't like zoom meetings.