Notices

Fit for the future - Weekender 03 - 06 April 2020

Old 04-08-2020, 06:54 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

What a great video, Bim. What a simple way to make a mask. Even I, who have no sewing skills other than to make a hem or sew on a bottom, could do it. Fantastic!

I am going to pass this on to my other non-seamstress friends. Thank you.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:56 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

What a great video, Bim. What a simple way to make a mask. Even I, who have no sewing skills other than to make a hem or sew on a bottom, could do it. Fantastic!

I am going to pass this on to my other non-seamstress friends. Thank you.

Sao, I laughed out at your travel photos.

Whoa, double post. Now, how did I do that.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:18 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Well, I have been trying to upload a photo of birds I saw last evening while watching the moon rise. They are red winged blackbirds; I had never them before; they were making quite a racket chirping to one another. Very striking birds.

Will keep trying to find a right-sized photo so I can share the beauty.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:00 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

After a few Paper mock-ups for size and fit, I cut a piece of Vacuum Clean Bag. I folded a Bandana around it, and stapled it closed; mainly to keep the Bag Material from shifting. A proper sewn-up Mask is in the Mail from a Pal, but this worked to hit the Grocery Store yesterday while gloved-up. And, to pick up our P.O. Box Mail after dropping off the Recycling. Grab more Stash Cash from the Bank ATM. I make every trip out a purposeful one.

The Small Town Grocery was *very* quiet, and Self-Checkout made life easy. Shelves were well-stocked. New Social patterns for new times. We received a few Amazon Boxes up here, and I left them in the Truck Bed to de-Cootify overnight. To me, this is all a 'numbers game'. That is, take precautions. Lower Risk Factors while shifting the Statistics in our favor. Here in this Nowhere Colorado County we have 5 known Cases, and zero Mortality.

Everybody here is healthy and fine. Eating very well. A stupendous Moonrise last Night.

My Theme Song around here lately...

~ 'In My Room' ~ The Beach Boys ~

Old 04-08-2020, 09:22 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Well, I have been trying to upload a photo of birds I saw last evening while watching the moon rise. They are red winged blackbirds; I had never them before; they were making quite a racket chirping to one another. Very striking birds.

Will keep trying to find a right-sized photo so I can share the beauty.

Lots of them here where I live. They are loud.

Here's a good little video with them making that noise: (with Canada geese in the background!)

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...ackbird/sounds
Old 04-08-2020, 09:45 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Mesa man looks like a proper cowboy bandit. I'm getting a mask today, sewed by my boss, who has wicked good sewing chops. We are meeting at our building on campus to go in and grab the mail, and a few other items she and another staff member forgot to grab in the rush to vacate a couple of weeks ago. Special permission was granted to me, so my swipe card will hopefully admit access to the building today. Otherwise buildings are locked down and only a very very few people can get in. I will combine this trip out with a trip to the grocery store, drugstore, and gas station.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:47 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Thank you, Bim! I understand that they are very territorial while nesting and are known to dive at people walking by. Yikes.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:54 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Thank you, Bim! I understand that they are very territorial while nesting and are known to dive at people walking by. Yikes.

You're welcome. They have never done that to me, there are a couple large flocks that live in the trees along the river trail where I walk year-round.

There is also a group of chickens and roosters (I'm sure they're abandoned pets) whose numbers ebb and flow. Now THEY are scary. Same with the Canada geese. Don't get near their nests! They'll take your leg off!
Old 04-08-2020, 09:55 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Question

SoberLeigh- if you go online there are a few free Apps you can download that will resize any photos you want to post. They are all fairly simple to use.

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post

This man is clearly a serial Bank Robber or some sort of desperado. I have notified the Feds.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:38 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I have not shaved since Monday morning and look like a desperado myself.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:11 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Thanks, Sao. I will give it another Google. I have tried before but wasn’t successful. User error, I am sure.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:16 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Well, in this case there were/are multiple RW Blackbirds of the right size that you just borrow from the interwebs...of course it's possible they're copyrighted - that's a whole other can o' worms

Google RWB, click "images" then click on them till you find one that's 700 or less pixels. I found six of them in the first few I clicked.

Then you right-click the image, click, "copy image location," then paste the URL in between the SR tags,

[IMG ]your URL here[/IMG ]

no spaces...
Old 04-08-2020, 11:42 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
After a few Paper mock-ups for size and fit, I cut a piece of Vacuum Clean Bag. I folded a Bandana around it, and stapled it closed; mainly to keep the Bag Material from shifting.
It took me at least three tries to read it properly.

I kept reading "...I folded BANANA around it"

I employed all the resources of my imagination to understand what exactly was the banana's role in this DIY project.

I am giving hard time to my exhausted brain trying to realize the project I've been thinking for a while about - upgrading my laptop which is already 8 years old and survived a death of its hard drive (changed about 2 years ago) with a SSD.

I don't think I would be able to afford a new laptop in the near future, but I could surely use better speed.

I've read around on internet and it seems to be a doable task even for a blonde.

I am also thinking about adjusting my cd-drive to install HDD into it - to expand memory. But it looks a little bit more complicated.

Apparently, I can't exist without creating problems for myself)
Old 04-08-2020, 11:57 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Manta, I was there not too long ago. Hang in there and don’t beat yourself up. The support around here is simply amazing, as you have seen for yourself.

I now shave once a week as well, usually on Friday mornings just before putting the waste bin out for weekly collection.

We must have one of the strictest lockdowns known to human kind. No leaving the house unless it’s for essential shopping, urgent medical attention or if you are an essential services worker. Tobacco and alcohol have been taken off the shelves completely. It seems to be working though, as thankfully our figures appear to be relatively under control.

Thanks for all the much needed humorous and witty posts as well! I especially liked those colorful London pigeons and will never again indulge in an After Eight in quite the same way.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:22 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  
Magsie

Evening Weekenders

Bim , great videos for mask making.

Loving the photos and conversations.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:35 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Manta, I hope you keep posting here! The support is really helpful.

If I expect to be allowed to kiss my wife, I have to shave daily!

Midnight Blue, I saw laptops at Amazon for under $400 with SSD.

I had a small windfall this morning! I am a little obsessive about my train trips, and have been checking the fare daily for my trip in October for which I have tickets. Well, today there was one room available for $236 less than what I paid, so I called Amtrak and got a refund. I know, I could probably fly there and back for $236. The cost of my 3' x 7' Roomette is now a mere $900 round trip, which is the lowest it will go. I am probably not going to upgrade to a 6' x 7' Bedroom, which is presently going for $1318 each way; I get a Bedroom when I go with my wife but since 1995 have paid between $750 and $900 one way.

So then I spent all that money at the grocery store. Most everyone had masks on, and I tried really hard to be sanitary!

Stay safe everyone!
Old 04-08-2020, 01:19 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Lovely fun posts today and spirits have been lifted x. Had a COVID free day with the exception of the 5pm government briefing for 15 mins then turned it off. Put one of my favourite albums on by Pentatonix and danced and sang for the whole thing after I logged off from work. I am going to bed sober. Today has been a better day. Be safe people x
Old 04-08-2020, 01:29 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

there's an amazing orange moon here tonight - it was super-bright last night, but nothing special about the colour then.

it's been quite mild here lately & it's nice to be able to have the windows open into the evening - it makes me feel a bit less shut-in & restless.

hope everyone is doing well.

Manta - wishing you fewer kitten-related surprises tonight!
Old 04-08-2020, 01:40 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Thanks, Bim and Sao.

This probably a stupid question, but how do you determine the pixel size of the photo?

Oh wait, I see. So , is it less than 700 pixels AFTER you do the multiplication?

Yipppppeeee! Thank you!
Old 04-08-2020, 01:40 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Goodnight, Manta!

When you have some spare time, would you mind to walk me through more detailed description of making your "cabbage a la Manta"?

I finally decided to prepare it today (and I am not a bad cook at all) and somehow I managed to create a total disaster. What is more, when dry frying spices I probably breathed in some of them and I started sneezing and coughing so frantically that my neighbours probably got into total panic. And I kept sneezing for a few hours after.

I am not going to give up though and will give it another try.