Magsie

Fit for the future - Weekender 03 - 06 April 2020

to the Weekenders

Fit for the future

How can we prepare?

How can we even think of the future?

We can draw on our experiences of
One Day At A Time!

Can you recall how getting through one day sober seemed an insurmountable task?

Along with the safeguards outlined for us...stay indoors....wash our hands..properly....

What about our mental wellbeing?

Our Addictive Voice (AV) will ramp up....attack if it can, at any doubts and worries may have.

Looking after our mental fitness and wellbeing will help us prepare and be.....

Fit For The Future.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes.

(Psst. We’re here all week too!)
Old 04-02-2020, 01:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update Mags, we've gone into more or less full lockdown since Saturday so it's even more like Groundhog Day now. I only go out of the house twice a week now but I do go for long walks here on the farm when I can
Old 04-02-2020, 01:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

It’s the the same here Reid.

I’m on 12 weeks shielding, can go in my garden (I think) but not out walking away from home.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

Since fellow irish man Reid didnt say it.

SHOTGUN

THANKS MAGS
Old 04-02-2020, 01:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nice one on Shotgun Vinny!
Old 04-02-2020, 02:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

great opening post Mags - thank you

D
Old 04-02-2020, 03:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

Thank you for the opening, Mags!

And thank you, everyone, for the suggestions about movies.

Congrats on the shotgun, Vinnie!

We've been on a full-scale lockdown since this Monday, so the entire situation hasn't got to me yet.

I have to confess I am even enjoying it to some extent because I am pretty much a loner, and when the crazy busyness of the world is put on hold, I feel like the pressure of keeping my life "up to date" and suffering from FOMO is relieved.

It's not unusual for me to spend days on my own immersed in reading, writing and other activities which don't require socializing. The difference now is that I don't feel inadequate about this.

It's really weird that this unfortunate and sad situation brings me less anxiety than a regular life. Probably, because most of my life I've been living in some kind of crisis, and I am better at coping with crisis than when things are "normal".

Stay safe, weekenders.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags!

Hope everyone is well.

Hang tight.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

IN and thanks Mags.

The company I work for is considered essential so I'm still off to work every day. The family is staying in so I also do all the shopping.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Since fellow irish man Reid didnt say it.

SHOTGUN

THANKS MAGS
I'll remember next time, Vinny
Old 04-02-2020, 05:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been loving being with my family so much, and as an introvert like MB am not at all bored. I take a long solo hike with dogs daily and I stay around the house otherwise. We aren’t on lockdown, just stay at home though exercise is still allowed with precautions, but I rarely see another person within shouting distance anymore.

Inner resources are critical for this to weather longer-term.

I find gardening very meditative me, and ordered some really pretty annual seeds to plant. We are also reModeling on our own a master bath into an art studio to share. We have lots of collected materials to up cycle, and spouse is super handy, so we are making doand being creative.

I kinda feel like a kid building forts in the backyard again
Old 04-02-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm in!

Thanks Mags, I hope you are bearing up OK. I am glad you have a garden you can go into, at least it is outside.

Congratulations on Shotgun Vinny.

I like your attitude MidnightBlue.

Here's a good thing:- I went out for a walk mid morning, it is not very enjoyable where I live as the larger parks are closed - not a good idea imo. Anyway what with everything else going on I was not in the best frame of mind ever - anyway, I decided to call in at a large chemist's to get some eye drops as I have a minor irritation to my left eye. Having joined the queue to enter and then queued again for the pharmacy counter to get the drops and pay I then realised I had no money on me as I had come out without my wallet. I was growling with frustration when a man I had never met offered to pay the £5.19. What an absolute gentleman! It really lifted my mood. The lockdown won't last forever, we just have to endure staying in for a bit.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's cool hearing from the Irish guys. I have no connection whatsoever with my Irish ancestry, and suppose I never will, as my grandmother passed several years ago. Other than them always growing a whole lot of the little red potatoes, which may or may not have had anything to do with Irish ancestry, there was never any mention of corned beef and cabbage or anything Irish.

An issue that is in line with subject of being "fit", is something that I struggle with. Not just being fit myself, which is an ongoing issue in itself, but stressing over my kid's fitness, or lack thereof. My poor example thus far has been a major contributor to my kid's decision making concerning diet and excercise I'm sure. Now, I am in a much better condition to provide a better example and I am just trying to concentrate on my own decision making. Still, I feel an enormous amount of stress and anxiety over the issue because I just want what's best in life for him.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My little pony!! Yay!! Great opening post, Mags.

I am blessed to be able to shelter at home. Lucky to have the resources to ride this out even though it's really stressful. I've been on personal, self-imposed lockdown since March 10. We were "encouraged" to social distance on the 11th and ordered to on March 23. Everything except essential businesses are closed. Restaurants may do carry out. My state has done about 74,000 tests, 5900 of them are positive, 247 deaths - and the peak is supposed to hit mid-April, around the 16th. I think we'll be locked down until June, to be honest.

Be careful, be vigilant. No way I would go to the store for anything other than essential food and pet supplies.

I am super glad that the grocery job I started in early sobriety turned out to be a bad fit and that I quit.

Prayers for the whole blue planet today, especially those still going to work every day and those in the medical profession.

Greetings from the Space Station

Old 04-02-2020, 06:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks, Bimini!
Hang in there!
Old 04-02-2020, 06:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I saw a post on Twitter that made me giggle. A woman was working from home and her 5 yo son came into her home office to have her look at his craft project on Monday morning. She’d looked at it the day before which was Sunday. She said “no honey I’m working, it’s Monday”. Her son stomped out of the room yelling”Monday isn’t real!”
Old 04-02-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

We will get by.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

From the last thread there were a few posts that made me think m a y b e it would be a good idea for some of the people in this thread to talk on the phone.

I almost PMed MLD yesterday to ask to talk. She's been in this thread as long as I have and I felt that pull to talk to her yesterday, but I was in a mood and thought probably no. Anyway, I know several of you live close to one another in the London area...and live alone...maybe? Just a thought.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!
Day whatever of working from home.
I'm with MB and Hawkeye. I'm not minding the forced isolation too much. So far. I am an introvert, and I often spend big chunks of time alone anyway, and I don't feel like things are terribly different for me. Working from home suits me pretty well. I like being able to take a short break to throw in a load of laundry whenever, wash up a few dishes, sweep the floors, I have widows to look out of while I work (I have a windowless basement office at work), I'm getting quite a lot accomplished due to a lack of constant interruption. I wish my job could be remote forever, but it can't. When students are on campus I need to be there, at least most of the time.

I am sure in another couple of weeks I will be singing a different tune about the isolation. Having it forced on me will get to be an issue eventually, I'm guessing.

Ok - time to get back to work!