Notices

Fit for the future - Weekender 03 - 06 April 2020

Old 04-02-2020, 07:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Bim, PM if you wish! Introverts can still talk on the phone.

I had a long conversation with an old pal the other night. He called me up because he's on furlough from his job, lonely, needing friends. It was good to hear his voice. We do text every so often. He's one of us. Not sober at the moment, though. I'm hoping to get him back to wanting to be sober - he's not sure he wants to right now. There are no F2F meetings where he is right now and he doesn't really want to do remote meetings. I think he will get back to it eventually. I hope.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

MLD, I have to still wrangle my thoughts a bit more about it.

This whole thing has really ramped up my codie tendencies - and that's not a good thing.

I want to tell people what to do, how to prepare, how to stay positive and all the stuff that made me (mentally/emotionally) sick in the first place. Control. Other peoples' issues. Worrying about other people. My desire to talk yesterday was more about, "Oh, I feel bad for her," and less about a healthy connection. So, yeah.

That old BFF? I was talking to her on the second phone call and as soon as I mentioned any fear or doubt about this situation she was quick to offer five different "affirmation" type readings.

No, friend. (Her, not you)

I just was saying I had some fear of the future. YOU don't have to try to fix it for me. It made me angry. I spent years trying to recover from doing just that. Fixing other people. Worrying about them. Always having some affirmative thought to throw at them. Sometimes I need to step way back and know that it's not my business. So now I know. I won't talk about "it" with her, either.

*lesigh* you'd think I would have absorbed this lesson 30 years ago when I first realized my unhealthy tendencies toward fixing or rescuing others, but apparently this situation is one my Codie-Crazy never anticipated!
Old 04-02-2020, 07:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi all. Unfortunately my extremely political husband is home too and goes into rants over watching too much social media. Working hard on shutting him out, but with a slight smile on my face so he remains completely unaware...staying sober and grateful to come here.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Mr

The Kerr's Pink. CityBoy.
Don't tell me you dont know the history of the Kerr's Pink 🐸
The corned beef would be more Mags, Sao, andy, Manta, Robbie... country.
We in vman's ancestry used to have luncheon Roll, bacon, rashers and sausages, steak or roast on Sundays and xmas day was a turkey. It was more about turkey than it was about santa.

The Irish potatoe invented (first cultivated) by a scottsman (probably Mac.. Something or other)

Bim 🤝

Today that exercise bike we bought 20 years ago came out of the garage. It was like new, you would swear it was never used...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Kers_Pink.jpg (64.3 KB, 69 views)
Old 04-02-2020, 07:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Mr

I'm not joking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20200402_165630_961.jpg (25.5 KB, 69 views)
Old 04-02-2020, 08:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Mr

Some good news.
Around this time two weeks ago I put my last drink to my mouth. The Last. Pretty bad relapse after a nice run of Sobriety.
Small step for mankind huge (frog) leap for vman.

I have stopped having breaks in my alcoholism. It's total abstinence now. I'm decided. I've known it intellectually for years.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Awake, you are right to smile and say nothing.

Bim, I understand you, I’m ocd, especially when things aren’t going right. It’s rife at the moment.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:11 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Magsie

Vinny, good for you!
Old 04-02-2020, 08:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lunar View Post
We will get by.

I needed that. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Mags love ~ your OPs are legendary. How much work must go into that.
Thank you so so much. xx ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Old 04-02-2020, 09:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Hi, weekenders.

Thank you for the opening, Mags!

And thank you, everyone, for the suggestions about movies.

Congrats on the shotgun, Vinnie!

We've been on a full-scale lockdown since this Monday, so the entire situation hasn't got to me yet.

I have to confess I am even enjoying it to some extent because I am pretty much a loner, and when the crazy busyness of the world is put on hold, I feel like the pressure of keeping my life "up to date" and suffering from FOMO is relieved.

It's not unusual for me to spend days on my own immersed in reading, writing and other activities which don't require socializing. The difference now is that I don't feel inadequate about this.

It's really weird that this unfortunate and sad situation brings me less anxiety than a regular life. Probably, because most of my life I've been living in some kind of crisis, and I am better at coping with crisis than when things are "normal".

Stay safe, weekenders.
I am the same all the way darling Midnight. Literally.
I am calmer right now than I have been since I was caring for my parents. And relaxed. No longer feeling pressured to do the things other people love to do every day....I do not. If I am at home for another two months here I will be absolutely fine.

I have spent half the day sourcing groceries....we have loads of food and necessities, and more on the way. I have made meal plans for the next month and onward....I feel more in control by doing this. Plus I have spare stuff for my neighbours/friends next door.

So much love honey. s xx ❤️
Old 04-02-2020, 10:01 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
I'm not joking

people all over the country have clothes hangers just like that.

I went into my local town for the first time since all this started & it was kind of a surreal experience - I was almost expecting tumbleweeds down the High (Main) Street. I needed to pick up a prescription from the chemist but there was a queue out of the door & they were stopping people from joining it because they were closing in 45mins.

there was a big queue at the supermarket too so I went to the little Indian/Ethnic food shop (no queue) who had shelves full of food & grabbed enough to keep me going from there instead.

hope everyone is keeping safe.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Awake61 View Post
Hi all. Unfortunately my extremely political husband is home too and goes into rants over watching too much social media. Working hard on shutting him out, but with a slight smile on my face so he remains completely unaware...staying sober and grateful to come here.
Your husband is lucky I don't live nearby. I would come over and smack him...he is so insensitive to your needs......probably everyone's. s xx

Love you very much dear Awake. ❤️❤️
Old 04-02-2020, 10:02 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

My walk was fan-frikkin-tastic. It snowed! Just little hard pellets, almost hail. Beautiful. I saw 10 robins, four Dark Eyed Juncos, two squirrels, a lot of water fowl (mostly mallards and cormorants.)

Now I've sorted the hand-washing and the rotation of shoes and jackets and hoodies. What's for breakfast? I'm almost out of a lot of stuff...
Old 04-02-2020, 10:04 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

If anyone likes gluten free penne, I have 7 boxes I am happy to give away. Not that that is breakfast food.... s xx
Old 04-02-2020, 10:06 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Maybe penne would be good with butter and cinnamon and sugar ....I have plenty of pasta.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:07 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yeah, I just got my first loaf of fresh bread in a while today.

And I adore toast and cinnamon sugar. xxxx
Old 04-02-2020, 10:21 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Weekenders!

My wife and I are not minding the isolation, and the cats are loving having both of us to wait on them full-time.

We have only been to the post office once in the past week. Today, we'll make a curbside-pickup grocery order to get tomorrow. The Food Co-Op posted a video on Facebook of proper procedures to use when picking up your order.

My sedentary lifestyle is somewhat of a concern. I was just starting to get into the intense physical aspects of my job at a shellfish farm, and it felt good to be huffing and puffing at work again. Alas, everything is on hold now, and I just spend the day on the couch. I know reading around here helps motivate me!

I haven't yet cashed in my $1,100 train tickets from Seattle to San Diego and back in October. I'm going to meet with folks from an internet forum--they gather yearly in some city to ride trains and transit for three days, and to get to know the faces from the web.

But I'm starting to think we won't be seeing Steve Winwood and Steely Dan on June 4...

Old 04-02-2020, 10:29 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Maybe it will get put back a few months love..... s
Sounds like a wonderful trip. xx
Old 04-02-2020, 10:30 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

This is interesting. The planet has "relaxed"

Newsweek: Tech & Science - Coronavirus May Have Caused the Earth to Stop Vibrating so Much