Notices

Six weeks ago today

Old 04-08-2020, 10:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Six weeks ago today

I got horribly drunk. Nothing new there, a continued pattern over a period of 20 years that was getting worse and worse with time. Today I'm just going to reflect on the physical aspect.

I couldn't eat, and would go days and weeks without a proper meal. I was sick regularly, when drinking and the next day when I started again. My poison of choice was cider so those who know will know what my bowels were like (gross - apologies everyone 😂 .

I didn't sleep very much. Each night I passed out and woke up feeling utterly awful. My face felt like it was on fire, I sweat buckets daily. I didn't shave. I'd spend whole days in bed feeling like I was dying, only to get up and repeat the cycle. My insides physically hurt, my head hurt. I have an arthritic condition that is made worse by alcohol, and in the past ten years have spent months at a time on crutches or in bed.

Today - I slept well for about 5 hours. That's not as much as normal but it's ok. I feel refreshed. I've lost a bit of weight but just feel good from eating normally, exercising sensibly. My stomach feels fine, my face isn't hot, I only sweat when I'm hot. I can go for a walk without worrying where nearest toilet is!!

My life situation isn't getting any better, but I could not have survived the last six weeks if I had been drinking. Thanks to everyone on here for your support, this site and your support have been vital to me getting through the darkest six weeks of my life
Old 04-08-2020, 11:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 6 weeks Be

D
Old 04-08-2020, 11:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have binged on cider myself. All that sugar does not pass through the intestines well. I haven't been sober long myself but am going to use the lockdown to better myself. It's unfortunate that I need something like a global disaster for me to get motivated enough to break up the status quo. I was listless, planning on just drinking myself to death. At least, my alcohol soaked mind was.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats! The 10th will be a month for me!
Old 04-08-2020, 11:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on 6 weeks Be
Old 04-09-2020, 12:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice job on 6 weeks
Old 04-09-2020, 12:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done, it is double the achievement given that we have all the perfect excuses to drink right now! By staying sober, we are giving ourselves the best possible chance at life now, and when this is all over!
Old 04-09-2020, 01:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes I can say cider does severely affect my guts. However in my case alcohol in general affects my insides badly resulting in a lot of vomitting.

The body recognises alcohol as a poison and tries to get rid of it accordingly.