Notices

Coronavirus (COVID 19) Thread part 2

Old 04-01-2020, 10:30 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

That's true nez. It has taught me many lessons.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:38 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

For those who wonder whether it's wrong to enjoy the lockdown and quarantine

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...alflow-organic
Old 04-01-2020, 11:43 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

That's true nez. It has taught me many lessons.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:45 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Oops. Double post.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:33 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Oops. Double post.
That's okay, my ego likes the reinforcement, but then my soul comes along and says red flag, ego involved, learning time. So thanks for the inadvertent learning time. :~)
Old 04-01-2020, 03:38 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

We both teach each other.

Keep safe nez.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:42 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

So my oldest son is here for his birthday and they are all hanging out together, no distancing at all. I'm very upset and trying not to be.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:44 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Karen - it makes me upset too.

D
Old 04-01-2020, 04:45 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  
Administrator

That would make me really upset too, Karen.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:27 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

Oh I am sorry to hear that Karen. That would definitely upset me as well.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:37 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by taplow View Post
I can't believe how quickly things have changed. Just the simple act of going round to the local shop is different. I have to stay 2 meters away from everyone, which actually, when I think about it, isn't unusual because around here they all know I'm a maniac. Also I'm starting to worry that my wife's usual habit of making me travel in the boot of our car may be breaking social distancing rules. Also I'm starting to worry that I don't actually have a wife and am terrified she'll find out.
I know that people deserve the right to make themselves feel important by building up this influenza in fancy new clothes disease as if they're living through some end of days apocalypse. Or maybe in our modern world we've pushed away the fact, the real fact that we actually, really, are all going to die anyway - we are born astride a grave - so that now we hold up our hands in horror if death's reality is made clear - even though the chances of it happening from Covid are ridiculously small.
Say this kind of thing and you're denounced as a heretic like so many subjects these days. This whole overblown nonsense and our obedient response highlights humanity's craven conformity. Panic stations everyone.
The financial crisis we're creating will kill far more people and then everyone will moan about that. Also, do you really want to stay inside talking to your family for a year?
Just keep the old and the ill safe until there's a vaccine and everything will be okay. Then we will wake up and find it was all as if a dream and an embarrassing dream at that, like the one I had about the penguin - I'll tell you about that one later.
Have a lovely day.
What you are saying is scientifically inaccurate. You can "believe" whatever you want, but that doesn't make it true or correct. COVID-19 is a zoonotic illness that is a novel coronavirus which means humans have no prior immunity to it (as we do to most common flus - aside from new epidemic mutations - or the common cold viruses). Furthermore, it reproduces at higher rate than the flu, making more people sick faster. It also has a statistically significant higher death rate. Not only that, but when beds fill up from COVID-19, people won't be able to get into hospitals for their other health needs, which is why social distancing measures are used to prevent everyone from getting sick all at once to prevent that aspect. This means more children and non-elderly could die, not because of COVID-19 directly, but because they can't get medical care for heart conditions, accidents, or xyz illness since the beds would be overflowing with coronavirus patients. This is why it is IMPERATIVE that we shelter in place.

Shelter in place worked during the Black Plague for aristocracy, and during the Spanish Flu of 1918 for common people in America. It's not new, and it is proven to work. It also is working in other countries right now.

As for economics, what you're saying is extremely unlikely. Worst case scenario our economic situation changes. A lot of the scare-mongering about the economy is due to people clinging to the current corporate capitalist model, not because "millions more people will die."
Old 04-01-2020, 05:47 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

You are a rockstar BC. Thank you for being here. Thank you for your knowledge and common sense. s xx ❤️
Old 04-01-2020, 05:51 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

^ Absolutely ^
Old 04-01-2020, 05:55 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Thank you so much venuscat for the kind words, and Steely too. You just made me smile. I'm glad I can be useful in some way ha ha.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:00 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

I'm BORED!
Old 04-01-2020, 06:15 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing my feelings, you guys. They finally left. I am going to have to write letters to my sons about this. I did say to them how I felt but they probably didn't hear me. I never pull the 'this is my house' card. I'm glad I saved it for now. Because from here out, no visitors. None.
Taplow, you remind me very much of my son, who will say anything to raise people's hairs. The worse the better. As a fellow recovering person, I care very much for you, though, and hope you will do some growing up in this time you have to yourself.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:28 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Thank you for your helpful, accurate Post #291, BC. Stellar job!

My 'Boots On The Ground' Pals - Nurses and Critical Care Medics - also fill me in on Scientific Reality.

OK, back to fabricating my own Masks from Vacuum Cleaner Bags. A good bit of Masking up is to prevent one from touching your own Face inadvertently..
Old 04-01-2020, 06:33 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

I hope your views shift Taplow. This virus is virulent. Really virulent.

Physical distancing and hand washing is imperative. It's all we've got at the moment, and it works.

It works if you work it.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:36 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

I modelled the left cup of a bra MesaMan. Finally, a purpose.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:19 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeckoningCat View Post
What you are saying is scientifically inaccurate. You can "believe" whatever you want, but that doesn't make it true or correct. COVID-19 is a zoonotic illness that is a novel coronavirus which means humans have no prior immunity to it (as we do to most common flus - aside from new epidemic mutations - or the common cold viruses). Furthermore, it reproduces at higher rate than the flu, making more people sick faster. It also has a statistically significant higher death rate. Not only that, but when beds fill up from COVID-19, people won't be able to get into hospitals for their other health needs, which is why social distancing measures are used to prevent everyone from getting sick all at once to prevent that aspect. This means more children and non-elderly could die, not because of COVID-19 directly, but because they can't get medical care for heart conditions, accidents, or xyz illness since the beds would be overflowing with coronavirus patients. This is why it is IMPERATIVE that we shelter in place.

Shelter in place worked during the Black Plague for aristocracy, and during the Spanish Flu of 1918 for common people in America. It's not new, and it is proven to work. It also is working in other countries right now.

As for economics, what you're saying is extremely unlikely. Worst case scenario our economic situation changes. A lot of the scare-mongering about the economy is due to people clinging to the current corporate capitalist model, not because "millions more people will die."
That's good stuff. Thank you so much for writing it.