Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What I’ve become after booze - Weekenders 06 - 09 September 2019

Notices

What I’ve become after booze - Weekenders 06 - 09 September 2019

Old 09-07-2019, 07:17 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Been sleeping a lot more the past two days. Sleep is okay, but too much of it always makes me worried, because it forces me to look for an underlying thing that's causing extra stress. Can't pin-point it though.

Been having an increased number of drink thoughts lately, too. In a way I think I'm sort of worried about "where the next growth spurt" in my sobriety is going to come from. Which makes me worried that I'll simply run out of steam and pick up.

Hope everyone's having a great Saturday.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Signing up for a sober weekend.

Hang in there, kk. I had a day like that on Thursday, I know how you feel.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:26 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Gratefully sober here reading and feeling calm.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Officially the weekend now - Saturday morning and feeling well. Still pretty hot out here in the Valley of the Sun, but it will moderate soon enough.

It does get difficult sometimes, Tet, but it looks to me like you are doing the right thing by posting here, adding some things to your routine and really thinking everything through instead of taking the easy route (which is the bad route, of course). Sharing your thoughts and efforts here is a great help to the many of us who've been in your shoes and maybe have taken that easy route.

Have a great day everyone
Old 09-07-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Just filled the bird feeders and been working up a remodeling storm.

One big change there. The drinking me would be four deep in Mimosas with nothing accomplished by now . . .
Old 09-07-2019, 10:22 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good luck on your mud run dpac!

I went to a local pop-up mall (below) to buy some new jeans today but failed miserably. For men of my age who are quite tall there is always a numbing fear that in pulling on a pair blue jeans you could accidently end up looking like Jeremy Clarkson - something to be avoided at all costs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20190907_181543.jpg (39.3 KB, 64 views)
Old 09-07-2019, 11:45 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I missed out on my yoga/cardio gym day. I have a sick puppy and need to be with him. Didn’t sleep well last night. I am giving myself permission to rest, nap and maybe to some work from home later. Tomorrow I’ll get back at it in the gym.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Happy to report the mud run was a success!!! It was really hard, but really fun. Very muddy. I have some scrapes and will def have bruises on my arms and legs tomorrow, but I'm so proud of myself. So exhausted, and ready to take a nice long shower and relax with a movie tonight.

I only wasn't able to do one obstacle, because I was legitimately afraid that I was going to fall and hurt myself. Other than that, we made it through. I feel accomplished. Exhausted but in a good way.

This'll probably be my only check in today. Thanks all for the well wishes. I'm off to enjoy the rest of my Saturday - hope you all do too.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:21 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Magsie

Dpac it sounds like you had great fun yesterday.

Mariposa I hope your puppy is soon well again.

kk, I found reading people’s experiences on SR helped me in my Recovery. Do you remember the two wolves parable?

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy. “It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.”

He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

I can relate to this with alcohol. I was either drinking it or thinking and planning my next drink.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:36 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders. There is a really powerful thread in Newcomers by rich624 which he has just updated. I would urge anyone who has drank and driven to read it.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:36 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thanks Pouncer and thanks Mags - yeap, I know the story well! Glad you decided to remind me.

I once started reading that list of 1001 books you have to read before you die. Didn't get really far :P but among the first there was Aesop's fables. One which really stuck with me from there - and I guess it can be applied to alcohol, too - had the fox as its character. Googling it gave this result from Eliot/Jacobs:

A Fox had by some means got into the store-room of a theatre. Suddenly he observed a face glaring down on him and began to be very frightened; but looking more closely he found it was only a Mask such as actors use to put over their face. “Ah,” said the Fox, “you look very fine; it is a pity you have not got any brains.”

I just went for a brisk 40 minute walk. I felt really motivated this morning. Now I'm going for some coffee and later on I'll buy travel insurance and some train tickets. Italy is less than 10 days away

I finally think that in my mind, I'm done with being overweight. I was neither here nor there about it for a time, but this morning felt different somehow, you know? It felt decided.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:19 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I finally think that in my mind, I'm done with being overweight. I was neither here nor there about it for a time, but this morning felt different somehow, you know? It felt decided.
hm.

I was overweight for a few years and it didn't really bother me either until one day it did. I started that day on Myfitnesspal, logging food, getting a little exercise.

I can't tell you what a different person I am now without that emotional and physical burden of being overweight, not to mention the side benefit of eating more vegetables and a lot less sugar. I didn't even realize what it was doing to my psyche until I got to a good weight again. It was an anchor around my neck.

Good for you kk.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:09 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Trojanhorse View Post
Howdy STDragon, I'm over in Saskatchewan and its a chilly morning here as well. I hope to get some harvesting in before more rain comes in next week. What crazy weather we are having.
Your day sounds lovely wish I was there, is the street festival at the Forks?
tkr, Enjoy.
Howdy Neighbor. They closed down most of Broadway for it, right up to the legislature. I have a couples of pics I'll post later. U a Riders fan? I didn't catch the Banjo Bowl as I was watching the Serena Williams / Bianca Andreescu match. That was an exciting game.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

These pics are for Saou, A 1954 Austin A40 somerset. Found as a rust bucket, restored and converted to electric. here was an electric car show at the festivl yesterday. Mostly Tesla's....

Old 09-08-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Magsie

Saou thanks, I’ve just read Rich’s post. It’s very scary how booze can affect us. You can see he is mortified and full of remorse at his actions.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Just a few pics of Broadway from the Ferris Wheel.

That's the old Law Courts building...
Old 09-08-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
These pics are for Saou, A 1954 Austin A40 somerset. Found as a rust bucket, restored and converted to electric. here was an electric car show at the festivl yesterday. Mostly Tesla's....

Yikes. I've been reading that dive boat fire thread and one of the postulations is that all the Lithium battery charging that goes on in dive boats *could* be the source of the fire. They may never know, but with the Tesla battery issues and other Lithium battery issues with remote control toys, the 737s, house fires and all - not sure I'd trust a hobbyist-created electric car.

It looks pretty cool, though!
Old 09-08-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks Dragon, that looks like a good restoration too in addition to the electric conversion. I like it. A40s have that classic 1950s old car look too.

Bim, I agree that does sound concerning although a tank full of liquid propellant would also be a fire risk I guess.

Thanks for reading Rich's post Mags. It is literally a sobering read .
Old 09-08-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

At least petrol is in a sealed metal container.

I mean sure, lots can go wrong if that is breached, eh?

I'm 145 pages into a debate heavily skewed in the direction of, "Lithium batteries are fire hazards." I can't help but go around my house and put Li batteries into metal containers now! My body-weight digital scale now lives in the bathtub.

Paranoid? Moi?

I really need to stay out of Accident Reports in forums. Suddenly everything is dangerous.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:36 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Since I got sober for good, I've become a more responsible person. I take better care of myself and my critters. I no longer wake up hating myself.