Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What I’ve become after booze - Weekenders 06 - 09 September 2019

Notices

What I’ve become after booze - Weekenders 06 - 09 September 2019

Old 09-08-2019, 11:20 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Magsie

Dragon good photos, thanks for sharing them, I wondered what the building was on the left, then saw your comments.

Bim, I see hazards all over! Working in the steelworks, their health and safety was OTT.

Least I agree, alcohol takes away our conscience I think.

The sky is a gorgeous blue, white, grey with a tinge of weak pink. I tried to take a photo but it doesn’t do it justice.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:20 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post

My body-weight digital scale now lives in the bathtub.

Paranoid? Moi?
Maybe extra precaution you could wrap them in a fire blanket as well.

You did make me laugh Bim.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:32 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Maybe extra precaution you could wrap them in a fire blanket as well.

You did make me laugh Bim.
I did side-eye the [flammable] fabric of the shower curtain five inches from it and question my sanity all at the same time.

The ludicrous nature of my caution is not lost on me. I live in a third floor walk-up with neighbors and THEIR Lithium batteries all around me.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:48 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

5 weeks today!!! I made it to the gym today. Which for the last 5 weeks I’ve been in the gym 5 Sundays in a row.

Reflecting on the first post, I’ve been seeing a lot of my flaws and a lot of my talents since getting sober. I need to work on my confidence, anxiety, communication skills. I see that I also am able to be a dependable employee, hardworking even. I also have a lot of people who see me wrong or not how I wish they would see me, but at this point I just say what other’s think of me is their own business. I’ve messed up bad for so long, was so effed up and toxic at times. I don’t want to be that person anymore. Being a drunk makes us so shameful and weak. It’s not what I want to be.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I'm 145 pages into a debate heavily skewed in the direction of, "Lithium batteries are fire hazards." I can't help but go around my house and put Li batteries into metal containers now! My body-weight digital scale now lives in the bathtub.

Paranoid? Moi?
lucky you've got that clockword-powered laptop Bim

Old 09-08-2019, 04:06 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Excellent, steampunk laptop.

I gave up on laptops years ago. Desktop for the win.

Well, I just got rained out of my walk. I had an umbrella so I just shortened the walk. Lots of big thunderstorms around, probably not too prudent to walk in the forest.

Dinner time and then some Greys Anatomy. I've already watched the whole series.. I started over on S1: Ep1. At least now I already know who's gonna die or move away - and when.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:48 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Howdy Neighbor. They closed down most of Broadway for it, right up to the legislature. I have a couples of pics I'll post later. U a Riders fan? I didn't catch the Banjo Bowl as I was watching the Serena Williams / Bianca Andreescu match. That was an exciting game.
I ended up watching pieces of the tennis match while at the farm. I didn't bother watching the Banjo bowl, I'm afraid our Riders forgot to show up.
Hope you had a good weekend!!
Old 09-08-2019, 09:57 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Rich’s post really hit home to me.

I drove to work every day, back in my drinking days, felt ok but could’ve easy been over the limit
Though I’ve been sober a few years now , I know it’s so easy to go back, I know that I can never take my sobriety for granted and think I’m cured.
It just takes that one drink to end up where I stopped.

I reiterate what Saou said over the weekend about reading Rich’s post.
Powerful stuff. The link is here if you should want to read it.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-happened.html (I came close, but lost the battle. The worst has happened.)

The support of Saou and many SR member’s was amazing being , non judgmental and constructive.

I wonder if a day will come, like with cigarettes, where there will be pictures on the bottles of what this poison can do to your body and your mind.

I hope MantaLady doesn’t mind me using her words I saw on Rich’s thread.

A lot of us here once said the same thing, and with this being a progressive disease many of us have gone on to drink drive going against everything we believe in and what we believe we are capable of. I said I would never drink every night, then I did. I said I would never drink more than a bottle a night, then I did. I said I would never drink during the day, then I did. I said I would never drink first thing in the morning, then I did. I said I would never drink drive, then I did. Alcohol strips is of our very soul and stamps on our moral compass. I could very well have been in this situation myself. With each relapse the further down we go, no matter how far down there is always another layer beneath.

So apt, I can relate to that so much.

Happy to be sober after many years a drunk.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Yeah Mags. I agree.

My first drinking "career" from age 16-31 was pretty full of daily drinking and driving. I had several alcohol related car accidents including one where I rolled and totaled my car at age 19 and was pulled over at least twice and for some reason (it was in the 70s) let go both times, though I am certain I was over the limit. Even at that time I knew I should have been in jail or dead a lot of times.

Thankfully, no one was hurt.

Did that stop me? Of course not. I'm so lucky to be alive, and still have the privilege to drive.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks Mags, it is a powerful thread.

Staying late at work to make a start on a soundproof box for a generator - you can buy them easily enough but they are crazily expensive for what is involved in making them and this way I can make a bespoke one. The generator itself is not big so it shouldn't me too tricky.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

How things changed:

When I was a kid the drinking age was 18. Bars didn't really check IDs, so it was easy to drink at 16. Even at the time I thought it was a really bad idea to put drunk kids in cars, but it was the coming-of-age for a massive number of people who were the demographic called Baby Boomers, born after WWII. I think their numbers, their voting strength, $$$, and the fact that kids of 18 could be drafted to go to Vietnam among other things all played a factor. I found this:

Late 1960s and 1970s: Drinking age lowered. During the late 1960s and 1970s, nearly all states lowered the drinking age to 18. This led to a huge increase in alcohol-related car accidents and drunk driving was deemed a public health crisis. In the mid-1970s, 60 percent of all traffic fatalities were alcohol related, according to the National Institute of Health(NIH). Over two-thirds of car accidents involving persons aged 16 to 20 were alcohol-related.

1984-2014: National drinking age raised to 21: In response to the drunk driving epidemic of the 1970s, President Ronald Reagan passed the Minimum Drinking Age Act in July 1984, a law that mandated states increase the drinking age to 21.
https://www.boston.com/culture/healt...s-drinking-age

By the time that 1984 law took effect I was 30 and thinking about not drinking. I did quit in 1989, but it was just age/maturing, not regulations so much although the drunk driving penalties had already become very stiff - all for the best, of course. I think a lot of those statistical numbers are just because of the huge number of people in that age demographic.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:00 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hello gang, just checking in on a rainy Monday evening after my day's work. Thank you for the thread this weekend... Love the Steampunk laptop and the electric car...

Hi Kaily, I'm glad you think I sound positive - I do try my best... Still lots of worries at 8 months but I'm gradually working out how to approach them one by one. As for the photography, I tend to do locations, landscapes and nature as I find them on my hikes. I set myself the challenge of capturing something autumnal this weekend and managed to find some blackberries at a local beauty spot. Not too impressed by the resulting snaps though...

Hi Bim, we drank at 17 in the local pubs, knowing which ones wouldn't ID us. One did good business serving our school... My sister was sneaking in to nightclubs at 16. Maybe they were more innocent times but in retrospect it might have been the start of the slippery slope for me...

Anyway, onwards with another sober week. Warm wises to all. Forwards.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

G'nite Weekenders. Mondayers.

Vman, please tell me you're in Lurk mode. Miss you.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:56 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Alcohol sucks.

No more.

Just that.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:53 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Scary stats Bim, "60 percent of all traffic fatalities were alcohol related". I had no idea it was that high. Me and my friends went clubbing alot in our youth and never thought twice about driving. Le'see, that would've been early to mid '80's...
Old 09-09-2019, 09:50 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Mags1, I read Rich's post that you had linked and immediately started to sweat. That was my life. I drank and drove all the time. I remember I had a system rationalized out that when the yellow line on the highway started to split in my hazed vision I would stick to the left one, that way I would veer into the opposite ditch. How I didn't kill myself or do worse I don't know. I am sober now and hope to never let my demons get a hold of me again. What arrogance I lived in. Here we find humility, we were all at one time slaves to the bottle. No more.I can't risk those around me any longer.

Please don't drink and drive
Old 09-09-2019, 10:37 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Yes I was always adamant I would never drink drive until I did. Then again and again. In my drunken state I justified it as only being up the road. Still mystifies me that I was so recklessly irresponsible. I wasn't even young, just desperate for more drink and it didn't matter how I got it.

Forwards I would love a proper camera and to be able take amazing wildlife photos. I have a far fetched dream of winning the Countryfile comp one day lol.

Off to the hospital with my Dad again today. In rush hour on the tube. Worrying with his dodgy heart.

Alfie's big news is that he has lost his very best ball. If he had access to alcohol I am sure he would drink over it. He is searching relentlessly. It is like his security blanket has been whisked away. No other ball will do. Bless..

Hope to see Vman and Captain soon.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:03 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Magsie

Trojan, yes it certainly makes you stop and think. I’m thankful I didn’t hurt anyone in my drunken days.

Kaily, what! Alfie has lost his favourite ball? Do you think he’s hid it somewhere and forgotten where. hope he finds it soon.

Monday morning after an alcohol free weekend is always a blessing.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:57 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
saoutchik

The legal drinking age is still 18 in the UK but some pubs and most nightclubs have a minimum age rule of 21. The age limit is much more strictly enforced than when I was a teenager.

I second what Kaily and others said about VMan and the Captain. Actually that goes for all the former Weekenders who no longer post.

I hope Alfie finds his ball. Interpol have been notified.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:48 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Provincial Election day today. Dear daughter is an elections official. She has a loooong day ahead...

Scruffy puppy has several balls and plays with them all day long. He's very fussy about them, each one must be the exact same type and size, he won't play with any other. We've had to special order extra's as he does chew thru them on occasion.