Notices

Class of September Part 1 2019

Old 09-04-2019, 05:51 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Evenings.....dark chocolate. Really get the sugar cravings or something in the evenings. Is this common? Got thru a serious chunk this evening....but, its not alcoholic.....
Old 09-04-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

A lot of people get sugar cravings in recovery. I think it may have been Dee who explained to me that the central nervous system plays a role here....I do not know the biology well enough to repeat any of it....I don't know about the evening thing, but I think it is something to do with free time and relaxing, and some chocolate works well with that.

I let myself eat whatever I wanted in my first few months of sobriety and exercised. It worked out fine: I got healthy and the sugar cravings dissipated and I was able to moderate easily. So that is my experience. s
Old 09-04-2019, 10:30 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!

I don't have a lot of time to post or read today, but want to check in.

I had nearly 4 years of sobriety/abstinence (I don't really count days or years), and drank a bottle of wine almost a week ago. I am struggling with depression and PTSD and really do not want to get back into thinking that I can "moderate," because I cannot. Full stop.

I am about to leave to take my son to therapy and run some errands, then out again, shuttling kids to classes. Hoping when I get home I won't be obsessing about sneaking drinks. Trying to be okay with the obsessive thoughts and practicing mindfulness when they happen.

Wish me luck. Hope everyone has a wonderful, sober day.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:13 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

If you are obsessing later dear Pouncer.....run right here.....we are here. And we can help. s

Guys.....if I may.....I keep hearing the word 'abstinence' thrown around.....that is kind of the opposite of what recovery is about for me. Abstinence from anything generally requires, or is meant to require suffering. Like Jewish people (me, but not religious) do on Day of Atonement when we fast for 24 hours to atone for our sins.

Choosing sobriety is different....it is a way of life where we are alcohol free and thriving. Not suffering because we can't. s
Old 09-04-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Hi Pouncer. Hope you do well when you get home. I'm sure your body appreciates all that sober time.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post

Guys.....if I may.....I keep hearing the word 'abstinence' thrown around.....that is kind of the opposite of what recovery is about for me. Abstinence from anything generally requires, or is meant to require suffering. Like Jewish people (me, but not religious) do on Day of Atonement when we fast for 24 hours to atone for our sins.

Choosing sobriety is different....it is a way of life where we are alcohol free and thriving. Not suffering because we can't. s
Honestly, 'abstinence' is the best I can do right now while I continue therapy and get help for PTSD. It's hard enough right now without worrying whether or not I am not drinking the right way. I am sure the sober enlightenment will reach me some day, but it's not today.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

End of day 4, tired, fed up and eating every bit of rubbish i can get hands on !!! But im going to bed sober, and moving forward
Old 09-04-2019, 02:09 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I am sorry Pouncer....I did not mean to upset you love. It's nothing to do with the way, just the word, and sorry..... s
Old 09-04-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau View Post
End of day 4, tired, fed up and eating every bit of rubbish i can get hands on !!! But im going to bed sober, and moving forward
End of day 4 is awesome. s xx
Old 09-04-2019, 03:29 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Morning ppl,

Abstinence as self denial versus sobriety as a whole new different life? I get the difference but can't quite see how to get there from here at the moment. So its just today, just don't act on the late afternoon AV, get to 6pm and its another day alcohol free.
I've done this before, 3, 4 months at a time. This time.....hoping to make that jump from abstinence to sobriety but can't quite see how it happens right now.
At this point, think of myself as a non-practicing drinker.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Gosh....I really made a boo boo. I hear you.....and I totally understand how abstinence as a goal right now is so big....

....I am learning guys....I make mistakes....but my only aim is to help.
Sometimes you help me more.....and I add precious tools to my toolbox. s xx
Old 09-04-2019, 04:09 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Administrator

Guys we're all at different points

Venuscat is sharing what she learned, just as I am, just as all of you are...

it may not always be what some of you want to hear right now & thats ok - there's are no commandments here, merely sharing of experience and ideas

There was a huge change in me from day one to day 90...I started out fearing I'd never make a week...I ended up thinking at day 90 I might just be able to do this thing.

I really hope that happens for everyone here too

D
Old 09-04-2019, 05:20 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Good evening everyone!

Tinker, I am feeling the same way. Low energy today and eating comfort food instead of my usual healthy choices. Good on you for Day 4!

Soda, I found that when my blood glucose level is low my craving for chocolate (or wine) is high especially the evenings. I have read sugar cravings are typical in recovery as your body readjusts and heals.

Pouncer....4 years is quite an accomplishment! Mindfulness has gotten me through rough times and also playing the tape. We are here for you!

Grateful the storm was kind to us in Florida. I am ready for things to get back to "normal" after a week of panic. I have been having cravings this evening and I don't feel like exercising or reading I have been distracting myself with you tube videos on recovery and intermittent fasting. Although our internet connection has been wonky today, thankful our electricity did not go out for I do not know how I would distract myself in a healthy way since walking my dog is not an option tonight.

Thankful for all the support here on our journey!

Wishing everyone a peaceful evening
Old 09-04-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I am so grateful and happy that Dorian passed by you dear Runner.....what a terrifying storm. The Bahamas is just so so sad. s
Old 09-04-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Venus, you are awesome. I took your comment as being from someone who has experienced years of truly sober life and I am not offended.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom; I wish I was at a place where I could fully internalize it. I guess I am working on more elementary concepts, like dealing with cravings. However, I think am where I need to be in order to eventually get to a place where I am happy, fulfilled and like you said -- living sober -- not just abstinent.

Thank you for your daily support and insight and thank you for being so kind to those of us in crisis.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:33 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Thank you for being so kind love.
And so honest....it is only by truly telling the truth about where we are that we can truly move forward. And it takes courage. And it takes HUGE strength. You have that in spades. And I realise from your post earlier that you are going through a lot....you are brave. And I am so very grateful you are here with us.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

No boo boo Ms Venus Cat.
Your input here is greatly appreciated, you are unfailingly patient and kind.

I can only speak for myself.....I find it hard to imagine what a sober life would be like. I have quite literally drank all my adult life, it is the only life I have known for 40 - odd years. Periods of sobriety only in the last 5 years. So early sobriety is still a novelty. I do the pink cloud thing.....today is all good. The sun is out, its cool, clear and crisp and I've been out walking. Its a high.

But it cant last like that....after some time I tire of it, the routine becomes monotonous. I miss that strange intense focus that can come with drunkeness. The other life beckons and I go back to it. But I am realising that it is becoming harder to come back every time.

Anyway....won't happen today.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:36 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Venus-It is all good. I'm sure we would all understand each other better if it was face to face instead of keyboard to keyboard.

Finishing off day 3 with a headache, but also glad the hurricane fatigue will be leaving now.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:42 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

For sure....how frightening, and for so many days. And whilst a miracle for the US, oh my gosh the Bahamas.....the videos....just horrendous.

You are all lovely.....and yes....it is pretty cool that we can communicate as well as we do without being able to see each other.....there is massive trust and love here....we are very blessed.

Watching the tennis ~ in heaven, loving being able to see the US Open, then off to bed.

Sleep well and sweet dreams. xx
Old 09-04-2019, 05:45 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Soda-I'm 59 and have been a heavy drinker since an early age except for 5 years in the middle when I stopped because of a health scare. I was an angry sober then because it was forced on me. I understand about changing old ways. It's tough. I hope it works for all of us this time.