Notices

Class of September Part 1 2019

Old 09-05-2019, 05:57 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Good evening all.
Welcome to new and returning ppl
Bob--yes we are in Jax. My family members are big Jag fans but I am a diehard Pittsburgh Steeler fan! Needless to say this has caused some division through the years in our house lol. I will say I am quite excited to have Nick Foles as QB this year for the Jags and have high hopes for him. Bob, I know you are excited for your first Gator game...you gator fans bleed orange and blue! Also, I liked your post about tail gaiting..spot on!

A big obstacle for me during my journey is not to be angry while watching other's drink. I am trying hard to reframe my thinking to be happy about my recovery and realize my values to be healthy benefit me far more than a few hours of escaping with drinking. I managed our football gatherings last year, but most of the time I was angry. I hope this year, I can be present in the moment and enjoy the gatherings.

Thank you all for the great support here! Let's keep it rolling... Wishing everyone a peaceful evening
Old 09-05-2019, 06:11 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Runner1234 View Post
A big obstacle for me during my journey is not to be angry while watching other's drink. I am trying hard to reframe my thinking to be happy about my recovery and realize my values to be healthy benefit me far more than a few hours of escaping with drinking. I managed our football gatherings last year, but most of the time I was angry. I hope this year, I can be present in the moment and enjoy the gatherings.
Thank you for this. I am going on holiday tomorrow with drinking friends and couldn't work out why I am feeling down about it. Initially, I was anxious about sharing a house with drinkers and angry that they had booked wine tastings and brewery tours during our time together. But then I decided that it was okay because I don't drink and therefore, what others do doesn't impact me at all. But I think you hit the nail on the head, underneath I am still angry and that is coming out in me being glum. Thanks for helping me recognise that. Now it's out in the open I am going to go with the 'trying to be present and enjoy' it thing.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:00 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sodasoba View Post
.....morning all.

Weekend looming.....always a challenge.
Only early here....but already have a couple of domestic jobs done. Its amazing. Drinking literally disables me. I can't do anything. I work with computer modelling software, making parts. When drinking, the brain fog descends and it I simply cannot do it. Get off the alcohol, and the ability returns. Similar with hobbies, tasks.....drinking, nothing gets done, things sit around untouched and unfinished. Get sober, it gets happening again.

Then , of course, it turns into 'now you've done all that, let's have some drinks and admire what you've done'.....the big reward thing. Problem being that the reward cancels the possibility of any further progress. A self defeating circle.

So.....trying to break out of that one.

Ok...welcome to the new ppl, hope we can all do the weekend successfully.

later
Yes and yes! Good explanation of the vicious cycle.

Hello All. I’m in too. Just got through another day 1. I’ve been in several classes and really, really want this to stick this round. I’ve been re reading my most helpful books and talking to a counselor.

I am so tired of hating myself, being half the woman I’m meant to be, and sabotaging everything good in my life. I hate you wine. We must break up for good.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:30 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 5 here.

Runner and Lucinda-I know that angry sober very well. The thing that has gotten me past that is just being in those positions more often and looking around at the others while they get drunk. Most of the time it is a sad thing to look at and I feel sorry for them and happy that I'm not pouring poison down my throat. Of course, I still have other issues to settle, but so happy to be past that one. Runner-My wife grew up in Pittsburgh, so I understand the whole Steelers thing Go Gators & Jags! I do have to admit though, where I grew up, we watched the Saints every week, so I still follow them too.

Quit-I'm with you. No more classes. This one is it!

Rattle and Tinker-We're close in days. Hope you are feeling as improved as I am!

Soda-Good luck on the weekend projects.

Fresh-It is sad to say, but there are not always people that didn't drink at tailgating so they could drive home. Most would actually then go to game, where there was no alcohol, and after 4 hours, might be in shape to drive. Some, like us, go tailgate and then go home to watch the game(Much more comfortable in the AC) I have to admit that I drove quite a few times after drinking at tailgating.

Wow, did I ramble on. I'll leave it there

Hope everyone has a great Friday and Weekend!
Old 09-06-2019, 03:42 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hello all. I'm from the August group. I have ten days today! August is now down to two or three people, so I'm going to join you here if that's okay.
So good to see you Quit and RAL and Bob (David) and everyone else, too.
Happy Friday!
Old 09-06-2019, 04:18 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Karen

D
Old 09-06-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Hi Karen.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:27 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Oh, and congrats on double figures!
Old 09-06-2019, 04:53 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Welcome to the September group, Mum, Quit and Sober!

Nice to see Bob and Runner are safe and dry. I am not sure what tailgating is, either. There’s an “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” episode where the gang tailgates a football game, The characters of the show are probably not a good example for recovering addicts. :/

It’s been a week since I drank. Glad to have the support from SR. Getting back on track feels good. and cravings are less frequent. Need to figure out why I relapsed and make a better plan.

Happy weekend!
Old 09-06-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Hi Karen! Glad you’re joining us here. We need all the support/activity we can get early on.

Hi Bobdrop, Yes. Once again, I want this to be my last class!

Pouncer, Well done at a week!

Hello to Runner, Lucinda, soda, and the rest of the Sept. class. I look forward to posting with you along this journey.

And Hello, Dee, Thanks for always welcoming us back.

Today, I will spend the morning working at home, possibly go for a short run, and drive kids around later today. Plans to meet with a friend for dinner. She does not drink and we’ll meet at a Chain where no alcohol is served. So, as long as I keep my car from stopping at a store, I’ll be on to day 2. And if the urge hits, I will log on to here and call my support system.

Happy Friday, All.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

I am so late today that I haven't even had breakfast yet, but I am happy.

Love your plans for the day deat Quitnow, and congrats on your week dear Pouncer and awesome that you are here dear Karen and
Old 09-06-2019, 03:10 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Hi hope everyone is well, i made it through friday and looking forward to waking up sober for day 7. I was alot brighter today and felt more like myself. Took my little boy out for a walk and food then shops to get him new pjs so the night passed nicely, and was so much more rewarding spending actual 'present' time with him, not thinking about when, if, how much alcohol etc
Old 09-06-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Morning all,

.....hmmm, today could be a tough one.
The day is grey and cold. I'm tired.....a kind of music festival near here over four nights. Had 3....just get the bass thump buzzing the window panes for 6, 7 hours each night. Sleep short not so good. Solitary Saturdays are a long day, alcohol will be tempting later. Gonna have to dig deeper today, just really not feeling the wonders of sober right now.

But I guess this is what we have to learn to deal with, yes?
Old 09-06-2019, 04:37 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I think there will come a point very soon when we won't be bothered by the triggers and craving much. Not saying it won't happen at all, but it won't be a daily thing. I hope you enjoy your Saturday, Sodasoba!
It's Friday night here in Georgia. That's American Georgia. I had a hard time coming home. I lost my phone and got upset and started wanting to drink. I didn't drink, and I am so very grateful. It was tough going there for a bit. I still need to find my phone.
I love sober weekends. It's much easier for me on days I am at home. At work tonight, I accidentally spilled wine on my hand. I wonder if that's where some of the 'trigger' came from. I was serving it to a resident.
Anyway, so glad to be sober, and I hope everyone is having a great night or day!
Old 09-06-2019, 04:51 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

I found my phone!
Old 09-06-2019, 05:08 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Tinkerbeau, I feel ya. I have a 15 month old son. Took him and my dog on a nice, long walk through the woods this evening. Both are very happy! And, it’s nice not thinking about when and how many I’ll be able to drink. Liberating, really, and I got a little exercise
Old 09-06-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Karen-Glad you found your phone! Amazing how reliant we are.

Soda-No answers for you. If this is what you want, you will find a way. I hope it is what you want and you find a way!
Old 09-06-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Administrator

at some point Sodasoba I had to stop focusing on the immediate and think about the longer term.

The festival will be over soon, but if you're anything like me, once you start you might still be drinking on this into next month.

D
Old 09-06-2019, 06:00 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sodasoba View Post
Morning all,

.....hmmm, today could be a tough one.
The day is grey and cold. I'm tired.....a kind of music festival near here over four nights. Had 3....just get the bass thump buzzing the window panes for 6, 7 hours each night. Sleep short not so good. Solitary Saturdays are a long day, alcohol will be tempting later. Gonna have to dig deeper today, just really not feeling the wonders of sober right now.

But I guess this is what we have to learn to deal with, yes?
Where I lived In Melbourne Aus, there were music festivals on the beach just down the street from me a lot....ear plugs were my go-to....just a thought. s xx
Old 09-06-2019, 06:24 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Oh....I'll live.
Maybe part of it is becoming a lot more aware of what can get you started and where it will take you.
I live in one of these inner city areas, different uses all close together, to some extent you have to get used to it, it is just part of living in this kind of area.
A bigger issue actually is the vacant building close to here that a developer is determined to put a gym in. As a local community we have beaten this off once already, now its back for another go. Gym = pounding techno music= 6.a.m. start. The last proposal started at 5.15 a.m.
That one started a few months of hard drinking. Don't want to go there again.