Notices

Class of September Part 1 2019

Old 09-02-2019, 06:29 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Pretty rough day 1. No energy for anything but watching hurricane coverage.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:20 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

(((bobdrop))) ♥

Try to be gentle with yourself.....drink water and eat some healthy food if you can. And maybe watch a movie or something in between news updates? xx
Old 09-02-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thanks Venus. I am going to try and be active as much as I can. I think that I read somewhere that your body burns alcohol before anything else for fuel. Maybe I can speed up getting rid of this horrible feeling. If I'm wrong, somebody tell me before I put myself through anything.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I have no idea re the fuel thing, but I do know that it is best not to exhaust yourself physically today.....exercise etc is great, but one of the things we deal with on day 1 is dehydration.....so whatever you do, drink lots of water. s
Old 09-02-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

im in again ground hog day
Old 09-02-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Good morning, everyone!

I was spending my mornings in bed, ruminating about alcohol before I relapsed a few days ago. I am so glad I am sober today and alive.

Although I have a lot of sober time under my belt, I am realizing that my past sobriety attempts were never true commitments to total, permanent abstinence. Something in the back of my head was saying I could recover or reset my alcoholic brain, but now I know that is a fantasy, a lie.

Hope everyone is doing well this AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:11 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Good afternoon all and thank you for the warm welcome! I really enjoy reading everyone's insightful posts and grateful to have found such a supportive forum to add to my recovery tool box.

I read the "Naked Mind" last night and found it to be helpful in recommitting to my abstinence.

Anxiety is running high with the uncertainty of Hurricane Dorian here in NE Florida. I am going to get in a good run this afternoon to keep me mindful and planning to read another book "Little Book of Big Choices".

Thank you all for a great forum. Wishing everyone a beautiful day
Old 09-02-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

But unlike groundhog dar dear Erratic, we get to effect change once we learn....unlike poor Bill Murray.... Gosh I love that movie.

I asked myself this question: What is stopping me from making the full commitment to sobriety? Where is my block? And I found it.....it was self-loathing. I simply didn't care for myself at all anymore, so I didn't think I was worth the effort.

I actually decided (at the end of 2012) that I would just keep drinking until I died. But I had a breakdown that scared me....I was suicidal and beyond hysterical and my BF told me that if I didn't calm down he was calling an ambulance. Or my sister. That just mortified me.....and I stopped crying and yes, I stopped drinking that day.

But I couldn't stay stopped by myself, and after finding SR in Nov that year, (that day actually) and then stumbling around drunk/sober for a few days, rinse/repeat for three more months, I just surrendered. I "joined". I committed to my class thread and to being here every day. I asked questions and I listened to the answers.

It took me a long time to really change....to let go of the feeling that I was worthless.....but I did. And that means I want to care for this human now, and that means I can't drink.

YOU ARE WORTH IT dear Erratic.....we all are. s xx
Old 09-02-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Wow Runner, two books in two days and a run....you are on fire!!! s xx
Old 09-02-2019, 11:25 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hello, everyone—

I’m not entirely new here. Throughout these past few years, I’ve strung months of sobriety together, but I’ve failed to make it stick. I’ve stumbled again and was too ashamed to come back here. I feel shame even writing this, but I’m here now. After a summer of drinking and witnessing the decline of family members due to alcohol, I’m done. Fears over my health, my family, and the overall feeling of dread have all pushed me back to seeking a sober life. I spoke to my wife and friends, trying to set up the conditions to stay sober.

It’s good to see familiar names of those still sober and posting here. Thanks to you all.

R&H
Old 09-02-2019, 12:22 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Just so happy to see you.

I know that shame.....we all do.....but there is no room for it here.
You are among friends, and we all get the helplessness.
Onward.....
Sending huge hugs. xx
Old 09-02-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi everyone hope your all ok, I'm through day 2 sorry if im not joining in with conversations well, i still feel very depressed and not quite with it ?!! But im sober so hoping to feel improvement soon, back to work tomorrow too. Think i need to learn to enjoy the moment not always thinking about future, i will have to look into it.
i joined the annie grace 30 day challenge, have her book too which i will start to read
Old 09-02-2019, 01:11 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hello, I am new here. This is Day 1 for me. Got really drunk last night and embarrassed myself and my wife and also hurt my wife (I said some really mean things to her). I believe she is thinking of leaving me now. Anyway, hello to everyone and good luck!
Old 09-02-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Can I join in!? I'm just finishing off Day 3, went to the supermarket earlier to do the food shop & skipped the booze aisle without giving it much thought, this will be my main problem...ignoring it everytime!
Old 09-02-2019, 02:06 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Oh Harry, I am so sorry that happened.
I think we have all done that...it is so horrifying.....the good part is that people who love us want to stay if they see us making a proper effort to get sober....I think.... s

You are in the right place.....welcome. xx

It's really normal (for us) to feel down and struggly in the first few days Tink....just getting through the day sober is such a huge win....maybe just aim for that right now and be a little gentle with yourself. s You will feel better in a few days, really. s
Old 09-02-2019, 02:08 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loulou1981 View Post
Can I join in!? I'm just finishing off Day 3, went to the supermarket earlier to do the food shop & skipped the booze aisle without giving it much thought, this will be my main problem...ignoring it everytime!
OH YEAH....what a huge win....that was always the hardest part for me....and then I moved to America and found the booze in the main part of the store...OMG....in Aus it is all separate.....but whatever.....moving past it is just the best feeling in the world, isn't it? s

And welcome.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:14 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
OH YEAH....what a huge win....that was always the hardest part for me....and then I moved to America and found the booze in the main part of the store...OMG....in Aus it is all separate.....but whatever.....moving past it is just the best feeling in the world, isn't it? s

And welcome.
yeah, I was worried before I went but I knew it needed to b faced, just gotta keep focused each time!!!
Old 09-02-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I always had sober friends.....SR friends to text if I got shaky.....it helped me a lot.

To be honest, I shop online mostly or get my husband to pick up the groceries....it is still not fun here.....why does it have to be everywhere? The point is, at almost 5 years sober, this still bothers me (2 and a half years in America and a newlywed) so I guess I am still a baby in many aspects, and I don't want to have to deal with that....especially on a holiday weekend.

There isn't anywhere else that bothers me anymore....not even pubs....but the supermarket, sigh, I don't like the surprises. s
Old 09-02-2019, 03:47 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Just so happy to see you.

I know that shame.....we all do.....but there is no room for it here.
You are among friends, and we all get the helplessness.
Onward.....
Sending huge hugs. xx
Thank you for the kind words and acceptance. It means a lot
Old 09-02-2019, 04:29 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Thank God today is nearing an end. Welcome all!