Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Shorts, Tops, sun cream, Sober Tool Box - Weekenders 17 - 20 May 2019

Notices

Shorts, Tops, sun cream, Sober Tool Box - Weekenders 17 - 20 May 2019

Old 05-19-2019, 12:15 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

yeah the warm weather is definitely a weak point for me, too. it's only when I quit that I discover that some triggers are much worse than others.

BBQs, poolside parties, outdoor concerts....stuff like this really speaks to me. The irony is I'm a very introverted person and don't particularly like these sorts of events but somehow with alcohol I enjoyed them more(???)

In many ways I am personally better off alone at home as I usually am. I try to convince myself otherwise that I'm an extrovert and that I'm missing out on "fun" but if that fun requires me to drink then I think I'll choose my own fun thank you very much
Old 05-19-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Saw my older sis and brother in law today, they have retired fairly recently and mentioned that they have been making efforts to only drink on two days a week ( Friday or Saturday usually) They mentioned that it is tempting when you don't have to be up first thing which I can certainly appreciate.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Just to clarify, they are not problem drinkers trying to moderate, they are just having to adept to a new, less hectic lifestyle.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:22 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
yeah the warm weather is definitely a weak point for me, too. it's only when I quit that I discover that some triggers are much worse than others.

BBQs, poolside parties, outdoor concerts....stuff like this really speaks to me. The irony is I'm a very introverted person and don't particularly like these sorts of events but somehow with alcohol I enjoyed them more(???)

In many ways I am personally better off alone at home as I usually am. I try to convince myself otherwise that I'm an extrovert and that I'm missing out on "fun" but if that fun requires me to drink then I think I'll choose my own fun thank you very much
I really relate to this Waterox! Not enjoying those activities. Unless drunk. And then I couldn’t remember them anyway. I went to an outdoor concert recently that I would have previously drank at. I stayed sober, and it was ok but I can’t honestly say I really enjoyed it, and the drunk people annoyed me, getting in my way, falling about and being loud and some obnoxious.

I most likely used to be one of those annoying drunk people....
So I would prefer to stay at home too than be in crowds of people. I really don’t like crowds of people.... I prefer my own company or one-on-one catch ups, and occasional small group catch ups.

I’m learning a lot about who I really am without alcohol turning me into someone I’m not. I think I used alcohol to try and fit in. Now I’m realising I don’t have to fit in
Old 05-19-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post

I’m learning a lot about who I really am without alcohol turning me into someone I’m not. I think I used alcohol to try and fit in. Now I’m realising I don’t have to fit in
^^^
Absolutely this! I was always seeking acceptance from others. I find that people actually like me for who I am without my altering myself to fit what I think they want. And I enjoy my alone time now.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:04 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

I really enjoyed the pool without drinking. I actually got in a swam instead of staying in the shade downing beers. I got some sun, we grilled some delicious steaks and vegetables. We must have spent two hours there, which was a perfect amount of time. Afterward I felt sleepy and napped for four hours 😁 This is only my second time going to the pool since quitting drinking 7 weeks ago. I felt better this time, the water was warmer and I was more comfortable with not drinking. My husband had 3 beers but it didn’t bother me. Maybe things can be fun again without alcohol. I don’t know if I should avoid trigger places, or face them and relearn how to just be there at this point? So sad, as a kid I could swim all day and it was lots of fun and alcohol was definitely not needed.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

The allure of booze can be strong. Seen as a reward- I think the best feeling was just before the first drink. 3.5y ago- when I was living in a vile place- as I had no other options, where there were a lot of drug users/dealers- I used to obsessively walk. At a local pub- on the beach front, there was this old guy who was always sitting outside- with a beer and I used to spin the image that I wish I was him, able to enjoy a drink on a beautiful day...

Over 3y sober- I still go that way as I have a friend there and a very good GP, I still see that guy, sitting by himself- and now I understand he drinks alone, with sadness- and he has the look I used to have- f being trapped in that terrible cycle of alcoholism. He now gets my prayers- not my envy.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:47 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

All really great points here. I'm finding tons of the stuff I used to do I don't really like anymore, because a lot of them were just going to places to drink.

Tonight I tried to do polygel nails from a kit I bought, and realized I am spectacularly bad at it. Oh well. I'll leave it to the professionals or try again another time, but dang was it hard to make it look good.

Anyway, thanks as always to all of you for being here this weekend. I'm tired. Onto a new week.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:39 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I'm fortunate to be able to really enjoy the beach. Alcohol is not allowed on most beachs here. I did not like going to the beach when I drank, and when we did go, I would count the minutes until we left. Or I'd find an excuse to run back to the cabin so I could sneak a drink. It was a real ball and chain around my ankle.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:45 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Boy oh Boy, busy day today. Finished painting the walls this morning and put another coat of white on the medicine cabinet. Went out and bought, then panted, the base boards and 1/4 round. Gave the grass it's first cut of the season and installed a new carpet threshold (hallway leading to bathroom is carpet). I also updated my photo album if anyone is interested in taking a peak.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:14 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Weekenders

Dragon, you’ve done a great job of the bathroom, I like the medicine cabinet.

When I was newly sober I avoided all the triggers, even tv programmes. Many of my favourites went hand in hand with drinking. I avoided many programmes when I first stopped.

To be honest, I hate that I let alcohol take over my life the way it did....so pleased I got out of that madness.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:36 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

A wise Pundit - likely here on SR - caused me to contemplate the journey of returning to who I was before intoxicating for Decades. The consequent Epiphany formed the core of my Sobriety: I'm a content Introvert. I've played Bass in Shows before ~8,000 Folks in Buddy Holly's Hometown. Given all kinda Tech Talks in front of discerning Minds. Medicating afterwards to cope with trying to be someone I naturally wasn't was one core component to my Addiction.

In just this last Year, I ran across this Article that is pretty much all I needed to know about my Personality Type. When we no longer self-medicate, we return to who we were before self-medicating became habitual. And - finally - compulsive in an ill-advised attempt to limit awful physical symptoms of continuous Withdrawal.

~ The Science Of Why Introverts & Extroverts Are Different ~

Morro Rock. The Harbor entrance to where we stayed at Morro Bay CA before moving on today...

Old 05-19-2019, 10:22 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning all,
Yikes monday again
Off to Paris for work this morning...
Coming back this evening so going to be a flying tiring visit. Feeling a little fragile at the moment. Big dispute with Mrs vman yesterday Need to stay strong and focused right now.
Might take a few days holidays if I can soon.
Enough ranting

Have a great day weekenders.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:38 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Up late, researching information about my professional license. Yes, the ghost of past misdemeanors. Two over twenty years ago, one five years ago. Instead of being reactive, I’m going to get proactive this week and seek legal representation to clear my name. Time served really should be time served, dismissed and discharged sentencing for non violent offenses shouldn’t plague a person’s life. This week, time to get legal advice and be prepared for the review board. Time to face my fears and come clean, I’ve dreaded this for years, but it’s time to defend my reputation and experience in my field.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:10 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Ugh, wet Monday. At least i'm not hungover.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:36 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do it and so it sober Vman - you too mariposa

D
Old 05-20-2019, 12:46 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Magsie

Mesa, interesting read on introverts and extroverts, love the picture too.
I used to think I was an extrovert, maybe I was, but nowadays I am definitely introvert and loving it.

Vinny, hope today isn’t too tiring and you get the dispute sorted with Mrs VMan.

mariposa, sounds like a good move....you’ve worked hard for your professional licence, quite right to defend it.

Saou, wow, dull in London but nice here, it’s usually down south that have the nice weather. I’m sure it’ll change later, sun shining here.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:56 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Wow, STDragon, you did a major reno. It's beautiful.

Vman, I don't have a husband but I'm sure Mrs. Vman is feeling fragile too. Whatever happened, I pray for peace for you both.

Mesa, that rock is Huge. What a nice trip.

Monday Monday. No drink weekend behind me. I've been eating too much. I've only gained a couple pounds but time to reel that in.

I think we are on the home stretch with the construction project. In the next couple days they'll finish the siding on my deck which is two feet from where I am sitting. They've started painting the other buildings. I'm ready for quiet. Way ready.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Interesting article, MesaMan. I used to think I was an extrovert - or at least a combination. I can really turn on the chatting charm in group situations, but I feel exhausted fairly soon, and overwhelmed. Looking back, I can see that I used alcohol to prepare myself for those situations, and it often kept me going and socializing way past the point I can comfortably handle now. I'm now perfectly content to be home by myself, and sometimes dread even going to the grocery store, because... people. I like people. I just don't want to be around them all the time. One of the reasons I like my job as much as I do is that I have large periods of time, like in the summer, when there is almost no one around and I can quietly go about my work.

Mariposa - I am very pleased to see you taking positive action to clear your name and move forward professionally. It would be easy to admit defeat and give up trying, but you are not doing that. I'm hoping for a positive outcome for you.

I had a pretty good weekend, even though the weather was cruddy here. I had ICE in a puddle of water that had gathered in an old grill cover that's lying on my deck, after all the rain we had Saturday and Sunday. But I had a couple of nice meals out with my man friend, and we went shopping for yet more fishing tackle. One of these days we will actually be able to use it!!

I'll have to look at your photo album, STDragon. I'm about to start thinking about a bathroom remodel myself. Nothing as major as yours, but I do need a new floor, and possibly a new vanity and sink. Definitely paint, and a new light fixture. I *think* I can do the floor myself, I know I can do the rest, except for maybe the plumbing if I decide to replace the vanity and sink. But I have done a fair amount of plumbing, so maybe...
Old 05-20-2019, 11:40 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I hope everything gets straightened out OK for you VMan.

I ended up having a really good day at work today, much to my surprise as there haven't been many of those in the last year. On top that it is a lovely evening here - in contrast to this morning. All that and Game of Thrones to look forward to. Life could be worse right now.