Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Shorts, Tops, sun cream, Sober Tool Box - Weekenders 17 - 20 May 2019

Notices

Shorts, Tops, sun cream, Sober Tool Box - Weekenders 17 - 20 May 2019

Old 05-17-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Friday!

Fridays no longer mean the same thing to me as they did when I was drinking. They used to mean that I was free to drink as much as possible over the weekend, just barely getting the necessary chores done. I'd rush to get cleaning and errands done on Saturday mornings (usually with a hangover) so that I could start day drinking with my drinking buddies by noon. I still try to get all of that stuff done on Saturday mornings, but there's no hangover, no regrets, and no rush. I can get things done and have the rest of the weekend for relaxing and REAL fun. What a difference. Sober weekends are the BEST. If you are new to SR or the weekender, give it a try. You'll never regret having your weekends truly FREE.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

R.I.P. Grumpy cat.

Hope he finds the after life somewhat happier. 🐱
Old 05-17-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

abgator, hope all is going well at the dentist. Sending good vibes for a speedy and painless recovery.

MLD, - EXACTLY!; Friday’s meant dinking to excess and sleeping in late on Saturday! What an awful existence it was - wasting all that precious time to drinking and hangovers.

andyh, what an adorable penguin photo. Thank you. One of my life-talents is a penguin imitation; it cracks my friends up - oh, to be so talented!

Aw, Sao, Grumpy ?- RIP.

It’s Friday; let’s do this thing soberly! Onward!
Old 05-17-2019, 07:35 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sober Friday sounds a good plan to me too.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Sorry, andyh. I had to put you in the penalty box for that over-sized image.
consider it practise of your acceptance toolkit. :P
Old 05-17-2019, 07:53 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
consider it practise of your acceptance toolkit. :P
Old 05-17-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Just signing in for another sober weekend please...

My 'toolbox' includes my alcohol counsellor who I saw earlier in the week. She asked me to print out some of the recent threads on SR that I have found useful for use with her other clients. SR really is an incredible resource... I also met my mental health nurse today. She keeps reminding me that balance is all important going forward - good advice considering I often used to overdo things in the past.

BTW: 'Living Sober' is now available free online if you Google it. It's not too long and covers the first year of sobriety - I'm about halfway through reading it and so far it all makes excellent sense.

Anyway, best wishes to all and Happy Friday.

Forwards.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:41 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

That's interesting about "Living Sober" being free to read online. That book is recommended a lot on this site. Thanks, Forwards.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:32 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forwards View Post

SR really is an incredible resource...

Forwards.
That is very true.

I know if it suddenly disappeared I would be up the creek without a paddle!
Old 05-17-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Another poifect Topic, Mags, since we're hanging' here on the CA Coast. Breezy, cool, and finally sunny today. So, many thanks for that.

The local Denizen seen below reminded me of Early Sobriety. A somewhat-bewildered me in a lovely, new 'Landscape' trying to adapt to an unfamiliar situation. As with so many here, SR was my primary lifeline. I really wanted to pour all available personal energy into finding my own Sober Way. This kinda-Introvert needed to conserve Mental Resources while ingesting only what moved me forward. I got way disciplined about what was 'good' for me, and what was distraction in Recovery. Especially when many of us are all over the place anyway. I certainly didn't know all the answers after only a few Weeks in, but trust in my own judgement returned. Gradually. That was yuge in knowing how to compile a simple, effective Toolkit that focused on what was effective, vs. what was *popular*.

Life Is Stellar, but a pending, Soul-renewing hike down by the pounding Surf will likely make it all mo bettah. So, away we go...

Old 05-17-2019, 11:31 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Blimey! Where do I start with what’s in my sober toolkit! I have learned so much from everyone here but the main tools I use daily are similar to Andy. rEBT and CBT techniques to challenge my stinking thinking and also helps me to not beat myself up for the past. Like andy It’s become second nature to me now and part of my natural thinking when hitting a challenge but in the early days I had to consciously work very hard at it. Exercise is another biggie and by that I just mean walking not serious stuff like the gym lol. Meditation has been massive for me too, I tend to over think and can get overwhelmed easily so meditation helps me control that better. Playing the tape forward, daily gratitude, my weekly video calls back to the rehab and last but not least daily visits to SR. SR has been the backbone of my recovery and all the tools are the limbs that hang off it. If everything else fails me, SR and the community are always here to help.

Not been out for a full English breakfast for many many weeks now so meeting up with my mum in the morning and we’re going to go to the local cafe and get stuck into a big breakfast! I need to get some seeds planted at the allotment too so hope to get down there if the weather holds out. xx
Old 05-17-2019, 12:30 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
abgator, hope all is going well at the dentist. Sending good vibes for a speedy and painless recovery.
It went good, thanks. The anesthesia gave me the best 4 of sleep I'd had in a very long time. All the pain meds have worn off and it's not unbearable. I'll likely take some ibuprofen and hope I don't neewas d the vicodin.

But man am I hungry for real food already! lol.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post

Old 05-17-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Mr

Goodnight weekenders
Old 05-17-2019, 03:42 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders!
Old 05-17-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Evening Weekenders. The demise of Grumpy Cat was one topic at Crazy Golf this evening. It is curious to think that maybe a billion people would have recognised her and she would have not idea or interest in her own fame.

Well done abgator, it must be a relief to have got it done and out of the way.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Horrible day SR, got some really bad news about my professional license and may lose out on a very good job because of it. I cried at work, came so close to drinking. Still struggling not to, I’ve done my best, given it my all, worked so hard.... wasn’t good enough. I went to the gym, told myself just give it more time. I feel I don’t belong anywhere and life is just suffering. People with way less education and experience getting jobs in my field but I’m stuck. Really white knuckle day. Hopefully tomorrow will get better. When does the stress end? When can I exhale and smile and feel secure?
Old 05-17-2019, 06:32 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
It went good, thanks. The anesthesia gave me the best 4 of sleep I'd had in a very long time. All the pain meds have worn off and it's not unbearable. I'll likely take some ibuprofen and hope I don't neewas d the vicodin.

But man am I hungry for real food already! lol.
So glad to hear that it went well,, abgator !
Old 05-17-2019, 06:38 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
Horrible day SR, got some really bad news about my professional license and may lose out on a very good job because of it. I cried at work, came so close to drinking. Still struggling not to, I’ve done my best, given it my all, worked so hard.... wasn’t good enough. I went to the gym, told myself just give it more time. I feel I don’t belong anywhere and life is just suffering. People with way less education and experience getting jobs in my field but I’m stuck. Really white knuckle day. Hopefully tomorrow will get better. When does the stress end? When can I exhale and smile and feel secure?
Sending good thoughts your way, mariposa. I pray that things turn around for you and that goodness lies ahead.

Please try to stay the course and take positive steps forward. Drinking only puts roadblocks in our paths and hinders our goals.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:11 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will get better Mariposa - if you stay sober.

It can be hard to see that sometimes early on, but believe me, it happens.

Everything will be ok in the end - if it's not ok it's not the end