Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Shorts, Tops, sun cream, Sober Tool Box - Weekenders 17 - 20 May 2019

Notices

Old 05-16-2019, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to the Weekenders

Thoughts of holidays are prominent for some this time of year and with some holidays there is alcohol flowing about, around you, sometimes unexpectedly.

I found being prepared, having your ‘tools’ to hand is important to pack in your luggage.

https://postimages.org/][/url

I went on holiday to Portugal just a few months after I became sober. On going out for a meal one evening, I had a soft drink with my meal, then waiter brought us a free after dinner drink. It looked like a liqueur, Mr.M tried his and it was.

It would’ve been so easy to just pick up the drink without thinking and down it in one! Especially being on holiday, relaxed, light mood, not really thinking, polite when given a free drink!

I hadn’t many tools beside me being newly sober but realised I needed to get the necessary ones I could use, so I could enjoy my holiday and stay sober.

Some of my favourite tools now are ‘playing the tape forward’, ‘SR’ and ‘Being aware and question what I don’t know’.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat, as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes, and even holidays too.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Shotgun.

Thank you for the new thread, Mags)
Old 05-16-2019, 03:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks Mags
Old 05-16-2019, 04:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.

The first of my oriental poppies opened today, so delicate and pretty.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey folks
I'm in--I have felt wobbly these past two weeks so just as you suggest Mags, I need to use the tools I have. SR is a big one as I don't have IRL friends to share this with.

My other tools of choice are getting out in nature, planting a garden, and deepening my spiritual inquiry/ connection to self.

The poppy is glorious Kaily-I've got Cosmos and Zinnias starting, and love the thrill of the 'color reveal' when the petals unfurl the first time.

I also bought a big container of quality double vanilla ice cream for defcon 4 situations
Old 05-16-2019, 04:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I'm in, thanks Mags. Nice flower Mags, I should check on the dasies around the side of the house. Grass is growing, time the the first cut, trees are budding, but no flowers yet. Still a risk of overnight frost.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Prince of Wales fort in northern Manitoba, near Churchill.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Wales_Fort
Old 05-16-2019, 04:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags!!

I too have found that exercise, nature, and mindfulness have really helped me. And also meetings to attend. If that doesn’t work, I have a friend I can talk to. Yesterday at a meeting someone invited me to a Friday night one which I might go to this week. We’ll see.

Anyways, that flower is really gorgeous, Kaily. Good weather makes a huge difference so I’m hoping to get some time to be outside this weekend. I have the zoo and then there’s a wrestling ppv on Sunday night that I always watch with friends. (Any wwe fans out there?)

Happy thursday y’all.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Mags

D
Old 05-16-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Forts. They didn't even have the internet to get ideas. Not even newspapers, so that is interesting the way they all are built. Same thing with pyramids. Just makes you wonder. I'm not sayin' it's aliens...

Toolbox. Man, I was a mess. I walked outdoors every day. I stopped drinking caffeine. I listened to white noise tapes or instrumental classical music only. I ate really well - and that did include more than usual sugary stuff and ice cream. Early days were so miserable that I will never go back to that again. No few hours of drinking will ever be worth the horror of getting sober. That I'll never forget, and it took me months. Sure the third month brought some amount of feel-good, but still no peace. Peace took a very long time.

Baby giraffe has graduated to kinesiology tape on his back legs instead of the big casts (which it seemed he did not like,) and they let him out of the birth stall yesterday into the paddock. Fingers crossed. It seems appropriate in this City Of The Future to have such high-tech feet. The fitted shoes on the bottoms of his feet are metal fabrication. More about that in the blog. Pretty cool - he has had a lot of help in his short two weeks of life.

The Blog

Photo by Jeremy Dwyer-Lindgren
Old 05-16-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!

Work is a pressure-cooker right now. Relief in sight in a couple of weeks, though, so I'll make it. Home life has its share of challenges, also. But I'm sober, and intend to stay that way, so I can and will handle everything to the best of my ability with a clear head.

Had planned to put the new kayak in the water this weekend, but the weather doesn't look like it's going to cooperate. That's a shame, because I need some quiet nature time.

Edited to add: That is some pretty high-tech gear on that little giraffe! Cool! I hope he does well with it.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, Young Hasani looks very dapper and proud in his new shoes.

MLD, it’s a shame about the weather for your plans this weekend, hopefully as soon as work quietens up you can envelope yourself in all that is outdoors.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Hey folks
I'm in--I have felt wobbly these past two weeks so just as you suggest Mags, I need to use the tools I have. SR is a big one as I don't have IRL friends to share this with.

My other tools of choice are getting out in nature, planting a garden, and deepening my spiritual inquiry/ connection to self.

The poppy is glorious Kaily-I've got Cosmos and Zinnias starting, and love the thrill of the 'color reveal' when the petals unfurl the first time.

I also bought a big container of quality double vanilla ice cream for defcon 4 situations
Stay strong, Hawkeye. The tools in your toolbox are strong. ( Feel free to double up on the double vanilla and add chocolate syrup for added defense).

Stay close to us. There is no wobble you can’t defeat.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mags, great OP - thanks so much.

Kaily, gorgeous flower, thank you.

MLD, hope that forecast turns around and you can get the kayak in the water. Kayaking is so relaxing - at least at the level that I participate therein - probably equivalent to the Sunday Driver.

Love the fort photos.

Bim, good to see the little giraffe progressing. Prayers for continued progress.

I am having some complications with very bright ‘flashers, reflectors’. The level of refraction surgery was substantial so maybe not surprising. My doctor isn’t concerned yet so I am trying to stay that way, too. Second eye procedure is in a couple of weeks with even more refraction needed so it isn’t easy to stay very calm. So dipping into my toolbox, too.

Lots of love to all. Cannot believe that is is Thursday already.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Positive vibes to you, Leigh.

Hope the second surgery will go as good as possible and recovery will take as little time as possible.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
saoutchik

IN!

Thanks for the OP Mags. Having an answer to the question "why are you not drinking" ready is useful too in social situations.

All the best Hawkeye, Leigh.

Good luck to Hasani too. I see from the blog that some Humboldt Penguins have hatched too which is excellent news.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Saou, yes! It’s good to have a reply to that!
Old 05-16-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Mr

I'm in too.
Thanks Mags your the best
I always loved the idea of the toolbox.
Still adding tools to mine
Not long home from work so long day.
Goodnight weekenders
Old 05-16-2019, 12:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Lots of healing love and hugs being sent your way SoberLeigh! x

Not sure if any of the U.K. peeps watched the new Shane Meadows drama “The Virtues”? I watched it tonight and it was a really powerful portrayal of an alcoholic descending into a relapse. So powerful it made me cry to watch it. One of the girls in the office said when I asked her if it was worth a watch that it was slow, nothing happened and it all that happened was a guy got drunk and took a ferry and she thought it was a bit boring lol. After viewing tonight I could really see how someone who wasn’t an alcoholic would miss all the subtleties only another alcoholic could really see and feel. Great acting from Stephen Graham.

Anyhow, on a lighter note I hope everyone is well and thanks to Bim for giving me an full on belly laugh out loud at the aliens comment!! x
Old 05-16-2019, 01:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Manta, we view things so much differently, don’t we? Our sober eyes are acutely searching and,perceptive.