Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Shorts, Tops, sun cream, Sober Tool Box - Weekenders 17 - 20 May 2019

Notices

Shorts, Tops, sun cream, Sober Tool Box - Weekenders 17 - 20 May 2019

Old 05-21-2019, 06:46 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Happy Tuesday!

Had a rough night of sleep last night again. Seems like I go several days not sleeping well, and then on the 3rd or 4th day, I'll sleep through the night. It's maddening. I have tried all of the "tips" for sleeping well, with less-than-stellar results. This is all a fairly recent development. After I got sober I started sleeping really well for the first time in my LIFE. Not sure what's causing this recent backsliding. Oh, well. As long as I sleep well every now and then, I'll be ok.

I get to leave early today, for a dental cleaning appointment. Might have time for a quick nap between cleaning and running my son to various things after he gets home from school. That kid needs to hurry up and get his driver's license. This summer, for sure.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:06 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Kaily, REALLY cute!!
Old 05-21-2019, 10:21 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Baby giraffes are always gratifying.

Sorry about your poor sleeping MLD, maybe some kayaking will help.

Kaily, I am not a fan of fantasy but the sheer epic scale of Game of Thrones was mighty impressive.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:02 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Mr

Howdy folks,

Tuesday nearly done and dusted.
Spaghetti Bolognaise time

I like that Bim hadn't heard it before : Like the alcoholic brother said in, Call The Midwife, "The drink hates those who love it most."

I have a plugged ear at the moment. It's the second time in the last few months I was already to the ear nose and throat doc a couple of months ago. Probably have to go again cause those over the counter drops just ain't doin diddly squat. ** Any advice or magical grandma remedies welcome **

Goodnight weekenders
Old 05-21-2019, 01:28 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Kaily, I am not a fan of fantasy but the sheer epic scale of Game of Thrones was mighty impressive.
certainly epicer than the Ikea version:

Old 05-21-2019, 03:31 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
certainly epicer than the Ikea version:

For Sale to someone flushed with success

Good luck with getting your ear sorted out VMan.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Tomorrow is Wednesday, three more days. Yes even the sober people look forward to weekends. My temp position is about to end, so soon I’ll have daily weekends. Im hopeful something will come along soon, and by staying sober I’ve saved up some and have a plan. I have an education and tons of experience so I will be positive and find a job that makes ME happy. Drinking will not make it any better, 51 days digging myself out of a hole 🕳 I never want to be where I was back then.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:43 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Ha! Love that toilet pic.

best of luck to you Mariposa, glad to see you’re feeling more positive.

night weekenders. See y’all for Wednesday. ✌️
Old 05-21-2019, 07:28 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I didn't know there were different breeds of giraffe. Never realy thought about it, but it makes sense. How many types are there? Also I was curious how tall the babies are at birth.

Ahh, I see, about 6 feet tall and 150 pounds (or just over 10 1/2 stone). https://www.pbs.org/edens/etosha/giraffe.htm
Old 05-21-2019, 08:07 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Weekenders, hows it going, it’s still pre-dawn here, dark outside and peaceful!

marisopa, great post!

Andy, Love the throne paraphernalia, not to own though!

The company I and Mr.Mags worked for was all over the news yesterday. It looks like it may go into liquidation if they can’t raise another £30m. It’s not just the 4000 people who work there but all the small companies around this area who do work for them. They make the finest steel for railroads, tyres and much more, but daily I see lorries of imported steel brought for storage not far away. It’s a sad day if they don’t get help. I’m hoping they have a reprieve overnight.

It’s refuse collection today, the streets will be adorned in wheelie bins and recycle boxes all through the village. I remember when I was a kid we had one small metal dustbin and the ‘dustbin man’ would come in our garden to collect it And return it...empty. How times change....modernisation, improvements

I’m in a thoughtful mood this morning, if you hadn’t noticed.
I think it may be a knock on effect from work.

It’s times like this I’m so pleased I’m sober.....in my drinking days any sign of bad news and I would be drunk, comatose for days from it, then again if it was good news I was the same. what a mess I was.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:41 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Another fun Day while Sober now in the Books.

We drove up to a Noodle Shop I hit >45 Years ago. So long ago, it used to be safe to Hitchhike up/down CA Coastal Highway 1 while at University. Still quite-good Food. Then, away to a Dog Park on Regional Open Space where we met all kinda nice Folks, and Dogs. Then, stock up at a Grocery Store. Kind of a perfunctory Day that started with me in the RV Park Laundromat. All this was dictated by a zippy Wind off the Ocean that made long stretches outside not really fun. Mostly good Weather ahead, so we just roll with it.

2 Nights ago was pleasant enough for a Beach hike over Sand Dunes as fine as Confectioners Sugar. Between this Tree growing from a Sapling; likely falling into the Ocean as a Bluff collapsed; and eroded to now be only a bit of its former size, this could be a very long stretch of Earth Time right there in front of us. Pretty neat to contemplate...

Old 05-21-2019, 09:28 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  
Magsie

Great photo Mesa. Looks very much like driftwood which is so popular around here to adapt into coffee tables.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:48 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

I saw it on the news Mags, it must be even more sad when you are personally involved. Lets hope some last minute help appears from somewhere.

I have got my therapy group again today. Sorta dreading it!
Old 05-22-2019, 04:04 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good morning all and happy middle of the week. I don't actually celebrate middle of the week until half way thru my lunch time walk. A little two-step in place indicating my excitement for another up-and-coming sober weekend. Especially now the snow is gone and the weather is warming up toward summer temps.

I remember approaching my first sober summer and worrying about how I was going to enjoy it without summertime boozy drinks. Turns out it wasn't much different than the previous months without wintertime boozy drinks. I did learn that hyration is an important tool for staving off the A/V. So be sure to always have a good stock of your favourate waters, juices and pops in the fridge.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:21 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

support Mags
Old 05-22-2019, 04:32 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Mags, I liked it much better when I knew nothing of the longings of humans and the lengths to which they go in order to make money.

In my area, Amazon is taking over the world. Huge long-time retailers are shutting down due to online shopping. Things don't last as long as they used to. Imported everything, not just steel - and I was born near the steel capital of the U.S., so the loss of major industry isn't lost on me. Our auto industry collapsed and took a majority of middle America's jobs away. Now everyone pokes at a keyboard.

That tree on the beach and a baby giraffe fixes everything though. The planet and new life will keep things moving forward. I have little joy if I look backwards too much and much joy if I stay in the present.

Blessings. And get off my lawn.

Below is the 1964 younger version, back when we were idealistic and believed we could change the world. These days I'm content with just sweeping up my little corner of it. Chop wood, carry water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ
Old 05-22-2019, 05:09 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, I think the present is a good place to be.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Staying in the present is a challenge for me. A lot of the time I'm ruminating over the past (and not in a good way) or looking to and often fearing the future. I do try to be mindful of the tendency. Because I realize it does me no good. Intellectually I understand it, but It's a hard habit to break.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:08 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  
saoutchik

A baby who is 6' and 150lbs! That is quite something. I weighed over 10lbs when I was born - my mum never forgave me

Mags I heard about the steel closure too, i'm glad that neither of you are directly affected but it's a bad situation for those that are. In London all about 50% of the population do is sell each other expensive coffee
Old 05-22-2019, 10:32 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I weighed over 10lbs when I was born - my mum never forgave me