Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Shorts, Tops, sun cream, Sober Tool Box - Weekenders 17 - 20 May 2019

Notices

Shorts, Tops, sun cream, Sober Tool Box - Weekenders 17 - 20 May 2019

Old 05-16-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Getting an impacted wisdom tooth, right against my sinuses, cut out in the morning. This is normally when I'd spend the recovery drinking against the Dr's orders. I'm sure I'll stay sober this time. Kinda looking forward to being knocked out though lol
Old 05-16-2019, 03:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I've not watched The Virtues as the trailers put me off but maybe I will now.

For anyone reading this thread who is maybe not a member of SR or any other drink/drug forum for that matter but knows they have an adverse relationship with booze then please consider getting involved. There is nothing to lose by joining and everything to gain because no matter how hard it seems, beating this horrible addiction can be done and you can get your life back. No matter how badly you want a drink you don't ever NEED a drink.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders and thanks Mags.

My toolbox is largely playing the tape forward, and re-reading my diary of those first months when I was trying to stop drinking (it includes several cycles of attempts to stop drinking that only lasted a few days and several intense weekend (and longer) binges and resultant days of trying to stop, and the weeks after I finally did actually manage to stop). Reminding myself of my thoughts and feelings during those horrible days is a good deterrent. I just have to actually make myself read it...

If I’m in a social situation I choose a yummy, special non-alcoholic drink. Some favourites are non-alcoholic ginger beer, cranberry and soda, kombucha, mocktails etc. I take my own if it’s BYO. I drink cups of tea.

When cravings come on suddenly or too intense and strong so that my mind is too scattered and unable to think straight to play the tape forward or read my diary, I eat sweet stuff. Chocolate, cake, biscuits. The big guns? Icecream! Icecream is my special anti-AV weapon and it works a treat! With a belly full of icecream I don’t feel like drinking
Old 05-16-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Chocolate, cake, biscuits. The big guns? Icecream! Icecream is my special anti-AV weapon and it works a treat! With a belly full of icecream I don’t feel like drinking
I swore off sugar, processed foods, etc. for 6 months, got back into shape, etc.......with the exception of a small bit of dessert each night. I've never eaten dessert regularly, ever. Rarely eat it at all, really.

But oddly I found myself satisfied for the night with just a bit of chocolate, maybe a tiny piece of cake from publix, etc. A few m&m's maybe. It completely removed my desire to "spoil" myself with something, which included alcohol that used to relax me. And I often go with dark 80-85% cocao that is actually quite healthy. I'll continue this trend until it doesn't work lol
Old 05-16-2019, 07:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Magsie

Manta, I’ll be watching Virtues on catch-up, does look good and Stephen Graham was talking about it on breakfast tv a few weeks ago.

Regarding my tool box, it will never be too full to add to. I could relate to Bim’s anguish’s when stopping drinking and I will never ever go back there. If I’m honest I don’t think I have it in me to start again.
So having everything I need mentally for my tool box and keeping aware, keeps me happy.
It’s just like crossing the road.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good night everyone! Great Thursday. I went on another walk in the woods this evening and it felt so great to be outside in the clear air with just the sounds of nature. I went on a trail less traveled and got super muddy but it was kind of a challenge even tho I thought I was gonna fall a few times. Next time I’ll wear my hiking boots.

Speaking of sugar/ice cream/processed foods....has anyone ever looked into Health at Every Size and Intuitive Eating principles? Its how I’ve taken to looking at nutrition and overall well-being when it comes to my body and food. It can be sort of an incendiary topic, so if ends up not being your cup of tea, totally fine. Just a different perspective, that’s all.

Also abgator, hope the wisdom tooth goes well tomorrow. They can really hurt from what I’ve heard from people.

Regardless, see y’all on the flip side for Friday!
Old 05-16-2019, 08:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

P.S. I keep forgetting to comment on the giraffe and I just wanted to say I love him and want to protect him. Thanks for the pics, bim!!
Old 05-16-2019, 08:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I'm in, have a long weekend ahead but am looking forward to it.

My toolbox for the summer - "anti-craving" meds (more like buzz killers), SR, program attendance, meeting regularly with my mental health doctor, people watching and watching Netflix.

Sarah Silverman - Speck of Dust is great, she is too, and in a way reminds me of the late Amy Whinehouse in appearance. A little.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

morning all. Happy Friday! thanks for the thread Mags. no DIY tips this weekend?

I might have a look at "The Virtues" this weekend, thanks Manta.

here's something I posted a while ago that forms the backbone of my toolbos. I find that REBT/CBT/Stiocism/Mindfulness & the like are very much variations on a theme. they're not something I consciously think about much these days as I've incorporated them into my thinking & do them subsciously for the most part, but they're still there & I can pull them out to work through anything I'm struggling with:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ute-guide.html (Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT) - a 5-minute guide)
Old 05-16-2019, 10:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Abgator I am sure you will feel so much better when that horrible wisdom tooth is out. Hope it all goes well.

I will have a look at Virtues, I hadn't even seen it advertised. It sounds interesting. Hope it has a happy sober ending!

Got everything crossed for the giraffe. I long to see him running free of leg supports and getting the chance to be the baby he is.

Gardening is part of my sober tool box, so yesterday I bought a new pair of secateurs.
Hopefully cravings won't get too bad else I might get a bit carried away with the pruning leaving nothing but a few sad stumps!
Old 05-16-2019, 11:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Weekenders

Abgator All the best with your wisdom tooth.

Andy, no tips for diy but I am looking for a place to put all our charges in the spare room (aka junk room!) maybe a wall cupboard, any ideas?

Kaily, can’t beat a good pair of secateurs, I got some with a ratchet, great for arthritic hands but they didn’t last long at all.

It’s a wet start here this morning, in fact I think it’s forecast for a few days. Time to have a clear out in the home again. I just concern myself that if I get rid of stuff will I need it in the near future!
Old 05-16-2019, 11:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone, grey start to the day.

Good luck at the dentist abgator!
Old 05-17-2019, 12:01 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Happy Norwegian Constitution Day Weekenders!
Old 05-17-2019, 12:17 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Happy Norwegian Constitution Day Weekenders!
this seems like a good excuse for a picture of Norwegian penguin. Brigadier Nils Olaf:

Old 05-17-2019, 03:36 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good Morning and Happy Friday. Building a sober life full of things that interest me, keep me busy, and focused is the main battering ram in my tool box.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:54 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Today being Friday and early summer, this would be a good time for any lurkers to the thread or lurkers to the site in general to join up/fess up/give it up and wave the white flag. I readily admit alcohol bested me. Not my finest moment when I realized it, but it is the truth. They say the truth sets you free, and I can say I've never felt more free than being without the chains of alcohol. Join us.

Sorry, andyh. I had to put you in the penalty box for that over-sized image.

Speaking of freedom - the baby giraffe took his first trip outside the barn. There is a cute 37 second video on facebook if you are on facebook. Just go to Woodland Park Zoo. It's on Instagram, too. They had the giraffe area blocked off to zoo visitors yesterday for his first outing, he's a little skittery. Rightfully so.

Here's the instagram link: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxiD_dnB0QH/
Old 05-17-2019, 04:56 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks, folks. An hour and a half until my appts. I'm so hungry lol. Not worried about pain or anesthesia or anything...just my growling stomach.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:01 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

I fixed the pic size.

If anyone posts a pic and it's so big it changes the format of the page you can resize your image using sites like this

https://postimages.org

640x480 is a good size

D
Old 05-17-2019, 05:06 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Fingers crossed abgator.

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
this seems like a good excuse for a picture of Norwegian penguin. Brigadier Nils Olaf:

I shall be writing to Norway to demand Nils Olaf is promoted to Supreme Allied Commander immediately.

Talking of famous animals Grumpy Cat, who I consider a soulmate, has passed away and is now in car heaven. Which she'll hate, obviously.

RIP Grumpy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20190517_130058.jpg (30.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 05-17-2019, 05:08 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee.