Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

“Seriously, you want to stop?” -Weekender thread 26 - 29 April 2019

Notices

“Seriously, you want to stop?” -Weekender thread 26 - 29 April 2019

Old 04-28-2019, 08:00 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Mr

Hey folks,
Done some gardening and repairs today.
It was pretty average weather again but it's not raining at least. Next week will be divided into two with a Bank holiday on Wednesday (labour day) . YAY.

Need to find the motivation to get out running / jogging again... Uummmm.

Might watch that lady gaga film tonight. It's probably a pretty boozy druggy affair but I keep hearing how "good" it is.

Hope you are all doing well and getting on with your sober lives...

Later weekenders,
Vman
Old 04-28-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

CG, I like historical dramas...not so much the bloody Vikings, but more the genteel shenanigans of the upper class. They do their dirty work with potions and spells and behind the scene politics and philandering. Much less laundry and burial involved.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, brings to mind a programme that was onwhen I was a kid...’Upstairs, Downstairs’, the lives of the gentry of the house and also the servants/maids. I liked it at the time.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:53 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Bathroom pic has gone strange. It was all bright and beautiful earlier.

I rarely watch films, I prefer documentary's but I did just watch Paddington.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Paddington was my favorite as a kid, I’ve seen both movies. I was in a restaurant in England and the wallpaper and decor was like paddington in the 80s.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:34 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

I don't know Paddington, but like the looks of him

Here is the video I promised to those of you unfamiliar with the dialect of English spoken in much of Glasgow Scotland--aka "Glaswegian"

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FSWlfcg6oA
Old 04-28-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hawkeye, funny clip, lol. I could understand it okay though, but my accent is nothing like that, though we do use words like y’alright., asking if you’re ok.
Wonder if there’s a South Yorkshire accent clip. Some of my family talk broad Yorkshire and can be as difficult to grasp.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:04 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Bim, brings to mind a programme that was onwhen I was a kid...’Upstairs, Downstairs’, the lives of the gentry of the house and also the servants/maids. I liked it at the time.
I really liked "Reign" in the past few years. It was a loose reinterpretation/adaptation of the story of Mary Queen of Scots. The costumes alone were worth the price of admission. I watched it on Netflix, so even better. Every week they got even more conniving and under-handed.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:56 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Bimini, What’s the name of the show on Netflix? I’m looking for something to watch and I love historical dramas.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:07 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
Bimini, What’s the name of the show on Netflix? I’m looking for something to watch and I love historical dramas.
"Reign"

The entire series (4 Seasons) is on Netflix in the US, only the first couple seasons in the UK, Ireland, Europe and the Middle East (according to Google.)

Old 04-28-2019, 11:58 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, just checked it out, I agree, the costumes are most astounding.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:41 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders LiveLikeGold, good to see you!

That Japanese garden is impressive Mags, eye catching but restful at the same time. The building services people that look after our flats (apartments) once tried to pass off a small area of grey gravel as Japanese garden by raking them into vaguely geometric shapes a few years back. Clowns.

Good luck with the new bathroom Dragon.

For anyone keen on a bit of period drama then Gosford Park is a good movie. It was also the inspiration behind the TV series Downton Abbey.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0280707/

I learned how to speak Scottish from watching Mel Gibson in Braveheart. For some proper Glaswegian I would love to post a clip of a guy called Rab C Nesbitt but he tends to swear sometimes (they are the few words you can understand) The vernacular of my own city is known as cockney which was originated by a man called Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. We have all been trying unsuccessfully to copy him ever since.

I did watch the London Marathon from a place called Docklands. Decent weather made it most enjoyable. The people I went with do drink but they don't go mad like I used to so it was fine. Hats of to the fun runners who raised millions of pounds for good causes.

Have a great Sunday.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Magsie

The vernacular of my own city is known as cockney which was originated by a man called Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. We have all been trying unsuccessfully to copy him ever since.

Saou, ^^ hilarious ^^
Old 04-28-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I don't know Paddington, but like the looks of him

Here is the video I promised to those of you unfamiliar with the dialect of English spoken in much of Glasgow Scotland--aka "Glaswegian"

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FSWlfcg6oA
heh-heh, I live in one of the largest metropolitan cities, you get everything here and so far, I find that thick Irish accents are the most difficult to fully grasp the first time around. I used to be a little uncertain between British and Australian, but now I (think) can distinguish them.

Btw, way to make an ass of myself on social media, that quote wasn't from Leonard but by another player, still it's the content that mainly counts.
Reminder to self to pass it by my more knowledgeable friends before assuming.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Mags & Hawkeye, you guys reminded me of this, somehow.

It's ages old, don't know if you came across it already.

ALERTS TO THREATS IN EUROPE: BY JOHN CLEESE

by John Cleese - British writer, actor and tall person

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent events in Syria and have therefore raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." The English have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from "Tiresome" to "A Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from "Pissed Off" to "Let's get the Bastards." They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide." The only two higher levels in France are "Collaborate" and "Surrender." The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France 's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout Loudly and Excitedly" to "Elaborate Military Posturing." Two more levels remain: "Ineffective Combat Operations" and "Change Sides."

The Germans have increased their alert state from "Disdainful Arrogance" to "Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs." They also have two higher levels: "Invade a Neighbour" and "Lose."

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels .

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its security level from "No worries" to "She'll be alright, Mate." Two more escalation levels remain: "Crikey! I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!" and "The barbie is cancelled." So far no situation has ever warranted use of the last final escalation level.

A final thought - " Greece is collapsing, the Iranians are getting aggressive, and Rome is in disarray. Welcome back to 430 BC".
Old 04-28-2019, 03:16 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Magsie

Caprice, I love John Clees, but I’ve never read that passage before, hilarious!
Old 04-28-2019, 04:43 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Good Morning Everyone;

"Slept in" to 6:30 this morning. Will linger over coffee and being audience to dog play before hitting the computer and my take-home work.

So far only a single bold titmouse has been visiting the bird feeders, but they typically are the first. Once the others see it is "safe" I expect it to be like London's Heathrow.

I have a funny story about that--I was on my first international trip at age 18, and was sitting in Heathrow at a booth with the Clash behind me in the next booth. No VIP lounge for them!

Anyway, I had met this guy from Glasgow who was really nice but I could barely understand a word he said as he was fluent in Glaswegian more than standard RP English. We wrote letters for a few years (just friends) but that was easier due to standard spelling, etc.

If anyone is confused what I mean, I will post a useful short video later when on my computer. . .
here is a Kerry Irish accent - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pit0OkNp7s8
Old 04-28-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Caprice- the Aussie slang there was probably the way to go on 'The Goodies' or safe children hours. These days the 'f' word is likely to be every second word. Also the federal election (the one where we get another p/m, 10 now in 7y or the other way around)- so not much would happen to any sort of invasion. The leaders would be too busy blaming the other side ('I can promise you under Labour, there will be no Spanish Armarda, and if there is- it is because of the irresponsible acts of the Liberal party- who have been busy moving all their money off shore'). If it was a weekend- they would just have to wait until after the footy finishes and if all else fails- we can look to our favourite uncle, Sam I think his name is shouting out 'HELP!'.
Labour of course would see the publicity gold in such events- yes, with a Barbie- but also in leaders having a beer with locals in a pub somewhere.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Phoenix, Uncle Sam started the majority of the wars, and we here have an obligation (closest allies) to go along with them on whatever they decide, even if we'd prefer to stay neutral.
Lots of Liberal vs Conservative and National Democratic disputes, but, if as threatened one of our subway stations (or more) gets bombed, I would blame Uncle Sam. Not the people, they are not at fault.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:01 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Administrator

guys we're drifting towards politics. Lets not.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post6630397

D