Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

“Seriously, you want to stop?” -Weekender thread 26 - 29 April 2019

Notices

“Seriously, you want to stop?” -Weekender thread 26 - 29 April 2019

Old 04-27-2019, 08:41 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Mr

Hi folks,
Mozying through the weekend here.
It's really dark outside with black clouds.
I nearly feel like lightning the fire later.
My little one is gone to grannies for the Easter holidays. Mrs Vman is gone off for a week in the Alpes with some girlfriends. So I will probably watch alot of rugby on the goggle box this weekend

Thanks for the photos and the descriptions of nature and all the inspiration which is customary on the weekender.

Welcome to the new weekenders

For those feeling down.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I just watched Call to Courage the Brene Brown talk on Netflix and if you are looking for some inspiration it’s well worth a watch! I have seen her TED talks and love her message and what she stands for. I found out about her when I was in Rehab and a friend texted me the Poem Manifesto of the Brave and broken hearted and it spoke to me so deeply at the time. Anyhow, hope everyone is doing well and much love to all xx
Old 04-27-2019, 09:05 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Signing in for weekend... a bit late (18:55 Saturday).
Been to park for exercise and air. It is beautiful day here today. So nice to see the end of the winter!

Also been to buy shorts and trainer shoes for gym - joining gym tomorrow morning - hope to be there 2 or 3 times each week. Not been for years.

Also going to Latvia for few days in May in 2 weeks, will be SO nice! And we have 1,2,3 May as public holidays so I hope it is nice weather. Only 2 days at work next week... (Mon & Tu ) so I have super long weekend next week - starting Wednesday!!!!!

But most important to me is I have 3 weeks sober tomorrow (at 03:00 Sunday Morning ). I could never imagine this just a few weeks ago.

I am still adding to my gratitude list on my wall, 6 things every day. Maybe I repeat some things but it is not important!

And I am going for food tomorrow afternoon - I met people last weekend in park and I met them for chat in the week, and it is nice to know a few people who are 'normal'.

Feeling positive today!!!!
Old 04-27-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Great job ConfusedGuy! Congrats
Old 04-27-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi, Vman, sounds like you are enjoying a relaxing "me time" weekend.

Manta, I have that Brene Brown thing in my queue. I may or may not actually watch it. She makes me a little twitchy - so not sure yet.

ConfusedGuy! You sound terrific. I'm so happy for you, thanks for posting in Weekenders.

I've got some laundry in - it's so quiet without guys pounding on my roof. Or my doors. Or windows. Or deck. You get the picture...
Old 04-27-2019, 09:20 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Late, but in!

Old 04-27-2019, 10:57 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations ConfusedGuy
Old 04-27-2019, 12:58 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 3 weeks ConfusedGuy, great job!
Old 04-27-2019, 01:55 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
I just watched Call to Courage the Brene Brown talk on Netflix and if you are looking for some inspiration it’s well worth a watch!
I've watched it too, had no idea who she was, never even knew such studies existed. Light hearted and funny all along, at first I thought she was a stand up comedian. Deep content, I wouldn't have linked shame and vulnerability together or put much thought into it, but makes sense. She's a great presenter.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:59 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Hi, Vman, sounds like you are enjoying a relaxing "me time" weekend.

Manta, I have that Brene Brown thing in my queue. I may or may not actually watch it. She makes me a little twitchy - so not sure yet.

ConfusedGuy! You sound terrific. I'm so happy for you, thanks for posting in Weekenders.

I've got some laundry in - it's so quiet without guys pounding on my roof. Or my doors. Or windows. Or deck. You get the picture...
I was debating whether I should add a BUT to my sentence, and now I will. She can be a little neurotic imo. Could that be the twitchy feeling you were referring to?
Old 04-27-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I think she is practicing what she preaches, to be vulnerable is to show your true self and not hide behind a mask for different people. For me she is putting herself out there and showing up 😬xx
Old 04-27-2019, 03:31 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
I think she is practicing what she preaches, to be vulnerable is to show your true self and not hide behind a mask for different people. For me she is putting herself out there and showing up 😬xx
I sensed her to be neurotic personally and with her family, namely, her husband. And a bit too pinched during the trip. Like, over analyzing insecurities, anxiety, worries particularly when they were swimming. Focus more on what's going on, first.
Maybe a bit over dramaticizing.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:12 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

If you got Netflix and want to relax to a bit of pure comedy, I'm finishing up watching Kevin Hart: Irresponsible.
My evening plan (I was not kidding) I have managed to find space on the Raptors bandwagon after all. Going to watch my first entire basketball game at friends' and the works. Go Raptors! 😜
Enjoy your sober day/evening/night all, and keep up the work!
Old 04-27-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday SR, I woke up with so much energy today. I got up at 7 am without an alarm, and the productivity hasn’t stopped.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

I get a lot out of Brene Brown.

Horses for courses of course - but I don't get the neurotic or twitchy vibe at all - quite the opposite

D
Old 04-27-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Off to bed, getting up early. My darling wife heads off to Hawaii in the wee hours...
Old 04-27-2019, 08:59 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Sunday 4.42 am her, clock says pre-dawn, which always amuses me. I think it becomes morning at 6 am, could be 5am. Not sure.

I haven’t got Netflix but I checked out my podcast app and there was a talk by her ‘The anatomy of trust’ on Oprah’s conversations. I enjoyed it. I could relate. I’ll be looking for more talks by brené now.

London marathon day is upon us. I marvel at the endurance and drive people have to run 26.2 miles in all sorts of weather and some of them all sorts of fancy dress,,,,must be so hot in those outfits. Wishing anyone running a safe run.

I hope everyone has a good sober Sunday, it never get tiring, waking up sober after the years of abuse I gave my body with alcohol.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:01 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders. This is for all today's marathon runners.

https://youtu.be/ALeX_LBcFOI

Old 04-27-2019, 11:47 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Morning all

No plans again, just me and my dogs, feel pretty lonely if I'm honest. Not spoken to anyone since Wednesday.

I have realised I am treating people a bit like alcohol, I would rather not see anyone than have an occasional hour with someone as that reinforces my loneliness and gives me a taster of a different life ~ bit like never wanting just one drink. All or nothing, complicated.

Maybe I need a gorilla family like Bim or go live with Hawkeye at the lake.

STD Hope the bathroom renovations go well. What a lovely surprise (I hope) for your wife.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:05 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Day 4 here! My goodness. I had a beautiful time mediating in church Friday, went to donate blood, another beautiful time at confession today, watching a movie with my little one, cleaned my house up and down Thursday night, and easing up on my meat consumption. It’s like im doing everything I can to make up for relapsing so hard. Well im determined to make that my last relapse! I notice when i stop posting here a relapse is coming. So im not going to stop posting here.

Btw Aquaman is a great movie, you can rent it on amazon prime.