Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

“Seriously, you want to stop?” -Weekender thread 26 - 29 April 2019

Notices

“Seriously, you want to stop?” -Weekender thread 26 - 29 April 2019

Old 04-29-2019, 02:37 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

I quite fancy one of those floating fireplaces. I'm sure my upstairs neighbours wouldn't mind the flue going up through their living room.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:34 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Mundane Monday, Troopz ~

Jez meandering along while knocking off pre-CA Trailer Trip chores. New Tires on the Trailer. Putting in a new Entertainment Center/Radio/DVD Player. Pressurized and sanitized the Water System just to ensure nuffin' froze over Winter. We A-OK. Plotted our Route out to the Coast last Night, and can make it in 3x ~300 Mile Days. Mebbe all in a row. Mebbe not. Surf & Seagulls beckon.

Adding a 2nd, unexpected phase to my Pal's Truck Camper Solar Project. He's keen on the idea of having his Truck Alternator charge extra Batteries as they drive, so we're hitting that Upgrade later this Week. He imagines this stuff. I execute. Kinda funk Weather here now, but at least not the ~1' of Snow now falling up in the Mountains. Warmth & Sun for us to work in by this Thursday.

Later this Year should see me finally muster initiative to build in a proper Arts & Crafts Fireplace with long, smooth slab Flagstone Seats by Windows on either Side. ~20' long overall. The Projects that get done when Sober, eh? The highlight will be 4 Art Deco Tiles from the '30s got in Scotland one Trip. I'm opting for Propane Gas Fuel [LPG] because I need to step heat output up/down in this Super-Insulated Joint. Otherwise, it'll roast us out. A trick Flue can punch through a Exterior Wall out the back. It exhausts while a concentric 2nd Ring simultaneously, safely draws in combustion Air w/o pulling in cold Air from elsewhere. Our recent visit to the Frank Lloyd Wright Complex in Scottsdale AZ got me inspired! I can't create as well as I can copy, so I'll cobble together a grand Fireplace idea from the Pix linked here:

~ Arts & Crafts Fireplace Pix ~

For ST, here's a bit of Luthier mastery seen in Phoenix AZ at the Musical Instrument Museum...

Old 04-29-2019, 05:13 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Have a great trip, McGuyver. I know you will. Whatever that instrument is, it's gorgeous.

The water today was beautiful. Puget Sound is Pacific Ocean Lite. All the beauty and the healing quality of salt water beaches, just with a backdrop of snow capped mountains and lots of rocks instead of golden sand. Still, it ain't SoCal.

I had a big shrimp Ceasar salad for dinner but I think I have room for popcorn still. I'm watching "The Order" and "Murder" alternately on Netflix this week. They're different but good - both of them so far...I'm only four or five episode into each one.

Sober Mondays are every bit as delicious as sober Saturdays.

G'Night from the Left Coast of the US.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Oh m'lord how does one play that thing!

Had a productive day, went to physio then got a hair cut.

Visited luthier guy and had a good discussion. In the end it'll cost somewhere in the neighbourhood of $1300. And what I come away with, besides the knowledge of how it's all done and few new skills, is a working Ukulele but unfinished. Meaning I'd have to apply the clear coat at home. (Tho we do get a lesson on french polishing before leaving).

Also got a good start on bathroom deconstruction. I discovered the original color was a public washroom stall brown....

Tomorrow I'm cutting a 4" hole in the top of the tub for an LED light (It's one of those full acrylic bathtub / shower deals). I'm a bit wary about using a jigsaw for the job but I don't have a 4" holesaw and don't want to spend 40 bucks for one I'll never use again.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:59 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

I am awake very early today, predawn as Mag's clock would say.

Be careful with those power tools STDragon
Old 04-29-2019, 08:17 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, I’m awake too!
Old 04-29-2019, 08:32 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
Magsie

Mesa, are solar systems popular in US? It’s getting more common here in U.K. and great to have on Caravans and motor homes.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:14 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Hey Mags ~

Yah, Solar Energy Systems of all sizes are really catching on here. I run a hefty 540 Watts via 2 - 270 Watt Panels [Pic below], and am going to add a 3rd Panel for 810 Watts. Cuz it's paid for, and sitting in my Shop. We don't use much 120 Volt AC Mains Power - converted up from 12 Volts DC Battery power - while Boondocking. I've mod'ded everything from this Laptop to all my Techno Toys to a Fan for MesaDog to run off 12 Volts Battery-fed DC stored in four weighty Golf Cart Batteries. The point of 'over-Paneling' is to live Life comfortably during ~3 Days of Clouds, or in Morning Fog while - say - Beach-side in California! Tougher to charge the 4 Storage Batteries in such conditions.

Meanwhile, as it goes with so many things in 'Murica - larger is better - one RV Forum I'm on is geared toward Systems large enough to run a small Village in China. Residential Fridges. Microwaves. Induction Cooktops. Absolutely [and literally] over-the-top. As seen linked below.

I'm big on distraction in the early Days of hanging up our Drinking Shoes, so perhaps some will find such readings - as I do - at least a good giggle...

~ RV Bus Solar Systems ~

Old 04-29-2019, 10:20 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Mr

Howdy ho partners.
Andy I would suggest you wait until they are gone away on holidays
Bim could you post a photo it sounds like a pretty cool place where you reside.
The solar (photovoltaic) panels are everywhere here too. I got 16 of them on the roof too. Clean renewable green energy... YAY.
Kaily I hope you got back to sleep for a bit.
Now where is MB an Leigh and Captain and all our weekender friends gone...
Later weekenders
Old 04-29-2019, 10:49 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Magsie

The RV panels are really something, Mesa, there is a solar farm down the hill from me, they sell to the national grid, but to be self sufficient is the best!

Vinny, certainly the way to go with the panels.

Misty outside this morning, hopefully will turn brighter later.

Hope it’s a good sober day for everyone
Old 04-29-2019, 10:57 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
saoutchik

We have solar panels on our roof too. The rook is flat so it is ideal. Less ideal are all the tall buildings around us that block the sun.

The LED light should look Dragon, you could always cut a practise hole or two in an old piece of wood.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:56 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Urgh I did fall back to sleep but had one of the worse drinking dreams so far. I was literally blackout drunk, lost my shoes, my money, my friends, last bus home and most of all my dignity. It was all so real and I have re awoken with a hangover!

Mesa it looks like you live out in a wilderness, beautiful place.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:20 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad it was only a dream Kaily

D
Old 04-30-2019, 04:08 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, so am I!
Old 04-30-2019, 04:54 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Morn'n folks.

So naturaly I drempt about Ukulele building last night. I'm still just not sure. I could use that money and invest in my own shop. I do want a belt sander and a new work bench. I could always pick up books and try my own build. Plus I already know a spanish trained luthier, who builds alot of ukes, that I could get a few lessons from. Sounds like I'm talking myself out of it......
Old 04-30-2019, 05:08 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Shared on a few threads.

Long days folks. I make plans, see? Like.... 'tomorrow I will start of routine, ready for going back to study...a walk, healthy b/fast, then art study..etc'. Then I wake up with a migraine aura, and being stubborn, attempt to fight it- just with brufen and Panadol, rather than take the antimigraine med...and so sleep another 3h..

Or the next day- same plan- then only sleep 3-4h, and by midday am exhausted just by doing activities of daily living. So I am still going to set routine like tasks- but be more flexible instead of having a rigid structure of times and expected outcomes. Go with the flow. When these setbacks occur- I do okay, do the mindful crap- the gratitude stuff, journal, breathe, HALTS etcetc- BUT then the automatic dysfunctional default comes in that, as usual I am avoiding doing anything productive- because I prefer being a victim, thus I am hopeless and a failure. So I fight this- and do what I have to do, plus more- but never as much as I want. Even after significant surgery with 50 sutures, pain, immobility and no immediate family for support- I do well, but do not feel as if I am doing well. It is like the only feelings in my onion layers transcendental journal of healing- are negative...so much hard work to do.

Hang loose folks. Remember- the are 2 kinds of people in this world- people with beards and nothing else.
Bloods for check up tomorrow, then Burns Unit, then Psychologist- then arrange another burns unit appt for physio/OT.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:30 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Long days folks. I make plans, see? Like.... 'tomorrow I will start of routine, ready for going back to study...a walk, healthy b/fast, then art study..etc'. Then I wake up with a migraine aura, and being stubborn, attempt to fight it- just with brufen and Panadol, rather than take the antimigraine med...and so sleep another 3h..
Oh, man PJ. I used to get horrible migraines, all through my 30s and 40s. They really can mess with your whole life. I used to do the same thing - didn't want to waste the migraine medication because it often didn't last me until my insurance would pay for more. At $60 per dose, I couldn't afford to waste it and by the time I would finally break down and take it I had gotten so bad I would have rather died. For reals. I used to say that, "I'd rather be dead." Migraines are horrible horrible. I pretty much had no social life at all because I just couldn't. I feel for you.

On the no family thing, though. I don't have any family either and I have come to terms with the self-pity part of it. Ain't nothin' I can do about it and I am not going to spend my life in the what-ifs. Of course there have been times I've been pretty morose about it. Just not any more. Sobriety helped that a LOT, my mind is more easily re-focused onto happier, better things now.

Vinny, here's a good advertisement for this area...

Don't anyone else move here! It rains all the time! This is the one sunny day of the year!!

Old 04-30-2019, 06:09 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Wow--now that's a view bim!

Don't worry, not planning on moving, but do plan to visit
Old 04-30-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, that scenery is so beautiful.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:00 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

I have some beautiful images of my own and some great ones similar to that one except with Mt. Baker instead of Mt. Rainier, but it's way too much trouble to upload them.

Has anyone noticed that Google images are becoming harder and harder to find without watermarks? I mean, I get it but oh-so-too-bad for me.