Notices

Class of February 2019 Support Thread Pt 2

Old 02-20-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canuck76 View Post
Day 19. I was thinking it was quieter than usual around here and that is because Addy was catching up on sleep Haha.

It's starting to warm up a bit here. Being able to get outside for some fresh air without losing my toes to frostbite will be awesome.

Yeah well I’m BAAACK! Lol
Old 02-20-2019, 03:00 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lastchance77 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences about drinking alone/out. Very interesting exercise for me and I appreciate your candidness
It was really great for me to do! There are a few things I didn’t even realize I was doing until I typed them out! More was revealed to me for sure!
Old 02-20-2019, 03:40 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

1. Yes, Addy I have a boat. My pride and joy. If my wife can't find me in the house she'll know I'm tinkering in the boat. Love my fishing though I'm not a keen eater of fish. From the picture you'll see the Glasshouse Mountains in the background. When Captain Cook sailed the East Coast of Australia the sun shining off the mountains reminded him of the Glasshouses in England.

2. I drink worst alone. I have at times woken up in the morning only to have a wine to 'cure' the hangover from the night before. I only figured this out a couple of weeks ago. I work from home so I don't have a home to come home to, I'm always at work. I work with my wife who has assumed the role of the boss and I don't get a say sometimes. I drink slowly but consistently all day and crash 7:30-8pm and can't remember what I had for dinner the next day. But now I have realised I can be comfortable with all of that.

3. I know some of you ladies are going to hate me for this, but I woke up this morning and forgot it was my 32nd wedding anniversary. I was too busy concentrating and celebrating the start of my 8th day sober. Luckily I built my Anniversary and Valentine's present into one.

4. Today I start my 8th day ... Since starting I'm alert, very little craving for alcohol, no indigestion (that I constantly had), very tired during the day, was angry for a while and suffer insomnia (but SRer's explained it was normal for early days), I meet clients and remember what I've said to them, eat well, drink heaps of water, getting my jobs around the house, getting along with my wife really well and yard work done and all of this in 7 days, can't wait till I'm free of alcohol forever.

5. Big week for me, I had a month's suspension on my license for a DUI charge (low-level luckily) and I get it back Friday. It'll be a Provisional license with Zero alcohol limit for a year before it reverts back to my normal license. Most embarrassing part was that in court the prosecutor was a client's wife . She came up later and said she wasn't telling her husband because she thinks highly me and believes it'll be a once off incident for me.

This a great Class _ February 2019, I feel very privileged.

Welcome Newbies.

Thanks for all the support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Boat.jpg (32.4 KB, 52 views)
Old 02-20-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Georgie letsdance press, and Groundhog

yeah been here in my new home since 2014 JS.

I was bored sober initially cos I was doing the same things I did when I drank - nothing.

Drinking made that crappy half life tolerable, but I needed more as a sober person.

D
Old 02-20-2019, 05:28 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  
SIB

Cranberry juice and ginger ale is a good one
Old 02-20-2019, 05:38 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

JamesSquire: the scenery is beautiful in your picture. You Aussi's are blessed, no?

Evoo: I just finished listening to the audio book Recovering: Intoxication and its Aftermath. As an artist, you may enjoy it. Also, I notice there is a thread called "Artists in Recovery."

What kind of photography do you practice (digital, video, or print)? Back in the day, I developed a lot of black and white prints in darkrooms. But I think darkrooms are a thing of the past now. I haven't kept up so much. Now, I just take pictures on my phone which is a bit sad.

Sending everyone good sober energy for today and a tomorrow without booze messing up our lives!
Old 02-20-2019, 05:42 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Cyclone Looming off our Coast

Moving slowly towards where I live
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cyclone Oma 02.jpg (25.9 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-20-2019, 05:58 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by listae View Post
JamesSquire: the scenery is beautiful in your picture. You Aussi's are blessed, no?

Evoo: I just finished listening to the audio book Recovering: Intoxication and its Aftermath. As an artist, you may enjoy it. Also, I notice there is a thread called "Artists in Recovery."

What kind of photography do you practice (digital, video, or print)? Back in the day, I developed a lot of black and white prints in darkrooms. But I think darkrooms are a thing of the past now. I haven't kept up so much. Now, I just take pictures on my phone which is a bit sad.

Sending everyone good sober energy for today and a tomorrow without booze messing up our lives!
Oh thanks for asking! And I appreciate the recommendation, I'm an audiobook/podcast junky so I'll definitely check that out.

I've done a lot of special event photography professionally -- everything from graduation ceremonies, to sporting events and big rallies. I enjoy that a lot because it's all in the moment, split-second creative decisions, and you're always moving to the shot. Then I love getting back into Lightroom in the evening for editing/cropping and selecting finals. It's not my primary gig for paying the bills, but I really enjoy it.

Then personally I've done a lot of photography/video for the larger family, some controlled/artistic stuff with my light kit (chess sets, black and white stuff, etc) and have hundreds of albums from when I used to work and travel through Asia in my 20s.

My favorite lens for most things is the humble 50mm 1.4. -- but for a lot of events I kick out the 70-200.

I would love to do darkroom photography (I have some really cool old cameras my dad gave me) but it's kind of an expensive hobby these days to work with film.

And -- hey, speaking of iPhones -- I don't snub my nose at phone photography. Even in the last four years the shots you can get on an iPhone X or iPad Pro are pretty amazing, particularly in low-light; and things you needed a full setup and livestreaming backpack for in 2014 you can do pretty well on a phone today. You should also see the macro and wide-angel lens attachments you can put on an iPhone X.

Anyway, I'm getting in the weeds. What kind of photography do you like yourself?
Old 02-20-2019, 06:13 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we'll be ok JS - some much needed rain and drop in temp would be nice

D
Old 02-20-2019, 08:48 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

The reason why SR is so great for people struggling with addiction is that we think we are struggling alone. We don't want to tell our family, friends, colleagues. There is a stigma in any place to admit 'I have a problem'.

I was reaching out for help for years. My mother just died from this disease of addiction. She drank herself to death. I saw it happening. I refuse to let that happen to me.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:53 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

James Squire, you know your history. My last name is Cairns. I am born in Canada, but parents are from Belfast, Northern Ireland. My sister did a DNA type test and we are descended from the governor who settled Cairns, Australia
Old 02-20-2019, 09:00 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Eek! Stay safe, Aussies!

Finished another day. I had a glass of wine at bowling. It was a very conscious, deliberate decision (unlike the Symphony wine). It’s cold outside, the roads are icy, and I’m feeling food deprived. None of which is an adequate excuse, but that’s what I told myself. The good news is that it was only one, and took my Hint water with me to make sure I only had one. I’ll do some soul searching to try to analyze why I felt it necessary to do this.

Ran into a former coworker at the bowling alley tonight. Haven’t seen him in probably 17 years. He was always a drinker, but the years haven’t been kind to him. He looks older than he is, his breath was horrible smelling, and he rambled. We used to talk for hours at work, and tonight I just kind of wanted him to go away. That makes me sad.

On another note, I will actually remember tomorrow morning who got voted off Survivor! I was a “act normal when drinking in public then come home and slam a bunch” kind of drinker. So I’d have a couple at bowling then come home and have four or five in the hour we watched Survivor, then have to google who got voted off the next morning because I couldn’t remember. Since I’m sober tonight, I’ll remember!
Old 02-20-2019, 10:35 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by listae View Post
JamesSquire: the scenery is beautiful in your picture. You Aussi's are blessed, no?[/QUOTE**
Very blessed, wish people here would realise it

Evoo:
My Dad was an avid photographer, used the bathroom as his darkroom. I got the bug but these days I use my phone and a Nikon B500. The B500 is unreal, one of the best zooms I've seen. My youngest daughter is a keen photographer and takes some great pics.

Originally Posted by Canuck76 View Post
James Squire, you know your history. My last name is Cairns. I am born in Canada, but parents are from Belfast, Northern Ireland. My sister did a DNA type test and we are descended from the governor who settled Cairns, Australia
Cairns is a great city, like a large country town really. They have a cable car that runs through the rain forest. Once you get up that far North you could encounter the world's most deadly snake ... the Taipan
Old 02-20-2019, 11:03 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesSquire View Post
Moving slowly towards where I live
You in QLD? I’m from Canberra but spoke to a colleague in Brisbane. She said it’s like waking in a sauna!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:11 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lastchance77 View Post

You in QLD? I’m from Canberra but spoke to a colleague in Brisbane. She said it’s like waking in a sauna!
It is!
Took the dog for a walk at 6am this morning, came home had a shower.
Cleaned the backyard before lunch, jumped into the pool, AAAaggghhhh! water was 32C
Another shower before going out to dinner tonight

Have pity on my wife's nephew that moved here from Canadian Rockies. like from-30C to +36C, LOL
Old 02-21-2019, 02:09 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Good night Feb class. Thanks for having me here. You seem like a bunch of awesome, brave, total strangers
Old 02-21-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Wow Aussies...be careful! It's supposed to rain again in California today, so I tried to finish gardening yesterday....no such luck. I still have 4 bare root rose plants that I need hubby to dig a hole for, since I can never dig them big/deep enough....then again, gardener should be coming this morning....maybe he'll plant them! I also did my walk, took a nap and did some bills. Felt so good to have another productive day, sober! Will finish bills this morning, take my walk, and then go to the lab and the CT scan clinic to pick up contrast for scans on Monday....scared to death of the scans. STILL have not quit smoking.....lots of tries/fails. Hubby smokes too, so we start/quit together...but it is HARD. Not drinking helps, since drinking goes hand in hand with smoking for me. I don't have a boat (but love being on one), and I use my phone for pics!

Welcome to any "new" people who have joined this month. We're all in the same boat (pun intended). Have a great day Grounhogs!
Old 02-21-2019, 06:22 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

trudgingagain, fingers crossed for good results. My husband has colon cancer with mets to lung and liver, so I know the cycle of scan and stress all too well. Quitting smoking will make things so much better - I wish he would.

I’ve overslept. Supposed to be leaving for work in 15 minutes. Oops. Then again, I’m already at almost 80 hours for the pay period so it will be ok.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:52 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Thanks, FoieGras...thanks for understanding the "new normal" I was "lucky" if you could call that. Drs. removed right upper lobe...no metastasis yet. There nodules in my left lung that they are "watching".....ugh!
Old 02-21-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Scared

Today I start day 3.