Notices

Class of February 2019 Support Thread Pt 2

Old 02-23-2019, 04:12 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Welcome Wobert!

I apologize NotMe2Pls! I have the bad habit of offering too much unsolicited advice.

You should not hesitate about your symptoms and feelings. You have a very powerful story and experience from which I've learned. We need your voice. You've also been through a tragic situation with your boyfriend.

Ultimately, it is your decision. Again, my apologies if I over-stepped by giving unsolicited advice.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:30 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Sober on a Saturday night - I did it! Had every excuse - long day, coming home late past all of the ABC stores, tired, etc. but didn't do it. I stopped at Arby's instead so I wasn't hungry, which took the edge off. I didn't have any alcohol "companion food" (tacos and various spicy nibbles) in the house, so would have had to make two stops. And thought a lot about you guys. So I'm home, just had two pieces of toast and a huge glass of OJ and am so happy. I want to stay up until midnight just to officially hit the start of my second week but I'm pooped.

You guys are right about something I'm only just starting to really grasp. Abstinence is easier. As soon as I started to think about stopping to pick up a bottle, my AV started bargaining - well, you've been off a whole week, maybe we can go back to two nights a week, or maybe one, or maybe... When I was in "forever" mode this past week it was easier, there was no bargaining and I was busy planning other fun things to fill my life.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to say "thank you all".
Old 02-23-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, finally checking in for the day even though it’s 8:35 pm. Ha. I was with my husband & kids all day at my sons sporting even. It was really fun! Unfortunately my toxic mother triggered me & I had a 5-10 minute period where I wanted to drink but I DIDNT! And I’m not going to! Honestly...I’m just too tired. I’m tired of that merry go round & don’t want it in my life anymore. I’m grateful for 19 days sober.

NotMe2Pls: Hang in there friend. I’m thinking of you. ((Hugs)))
Old 02-23-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lascaux View Post
Sober on a Saturday night - I did it!
Congrats Lascaux! I know all those feelings you mentioned. While this is my day 1 it is not my first day 1. This is my first day one accompanied with SR.

I met today's goals. I got the big calendar and I didn't go anywhere close to the booze isle when I was shopping.

It's been interesting reading all the comments and how we are all each unique but similar.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:38 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Another busy, sober day in the books. Not much else to contribute...

I hope you are ok, NotMe
Old 02-24-2019, 01:26 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Hi All

Glad everyone's doing reasonably well even if the anxiety is kicking in.

Day 11 ends for me tonight,.

Spent the day at a Tenpin bowling competition, for my daughter, I rather watch grass grow. Anyway I couldn't drink as I am on Zero Alcohol as required by reinstatement of my driver's license.

Biggest discussion was the Bowling Alley was going to introduce 'String Bowling'. Some of you Yanks and Canadians have already been subjected to it but she may not be able to compete internationally as it doesn't meet international standards apparently.

I'm so tired, nearly ran into a post, rounding a corner, on the way home because I lost concentration. Funny that being sober in the early days, feels like you're actually drunk.

Addy & Canguy ... You guys are doing so well

NotMe2Pls ... Comments made here are because we care not to cause you more grief, look after yourself please.

Been watching 'True Detectives'. Geezzz even the cops drink all the time even when driving on the show. Love the plot but doesn't do anything for my resistance.

My wife's away visiting her sister interstate, which made AV call out to me several times over the weekend.

Till my next post, keep strong Februarians.

JS
Old 02-24-2019, 01:37 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Back on the bus again, end of day 2..
Jan and Feb have been a cycle of on off drinking, at least I'm not giving up..
I have realised a few things in the last week but won't go into them as its late.
I hope everyone enjoyed their Sunday.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:48 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Good u got thru weekend JS.
Hi Red, Its better on the bus. Hang in there and see out the month with everybody here.

Not a great day ......the return of some problems I kind of knew were going to re-emerge at some point. A big gym franchise to move in opposite. 5.15 a.m start every week morning....pounding techno. And I guess local authorities will approve it.
Oh. Wow.
AV immediately suggested that it had the answer........
No.
Think about it tomorro.

G'nite.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:53 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope they invest in some sound proofing Canguy.

D
Old 02-24-2019, 02:56 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Think I'm gonna be the one buying the sound insulation, Dee.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:10 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anythings better than drinking again...

D
Old 02-24-2019, 03:19 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Well, I just could see it all happening. Getting trashed, angry....been there, done that....enough. These kind of situations....are just out of your control, you can only control how you respond, what you do about it. Also.....it hasn't happened yet.
But, yeah......its exactly the moment I'd go and do it tho. Just not today, not this time. That's all I can do right now.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:40 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

I messed up my sleep pattern. Awake at 7:30am today so will try to stay awake all day and go to bed at a reasonable time tonight. I was wide awake at 3am which seems to cause sleep anxiety. Meaning I fret about not being able to sleep. The more I try to shut down, the harder it seems to sleep. Probably need to cut down on caffeine. I had a coffee at a 7pm AA meeting last night.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

I am super sensitive to caffeine Canuck so I carry around herb or green tea with me.

Sundays are not my best day. I think it's because the reality of Monday is just around the corner. I haven't been dealing with reality much lately so it makes sense.

I'm going to do my best to get to a meeting today. I have to dig out from 8 inches of snow so that will give me something to do this morning. I will call my sponsor if I need to. I am beyond doing this on my own this time. I am not craving a drink but I am sure craving to isolate. Which always preceeds me wanting to drink so I'm going to do what a friend told me once. When at a fork in the road, choose the hard road. 90% of the time the thing you really don't want to do is the very thing you need to do.

So I want to just sit here alone all day and stress about Monday and all the crap I have put off and haven't dealt with but instead I am going to do everything in my power to dig out of the snow and get to a meeting.

Holy smokes! I just got a text from my sponsor. How's that for a little miracle. Just when I was feeling all lonely and all.

Amazing things are happening to me now that I'm not drunk to miss seeing them!

Stay safe and let's do this.
xoxo
Old 02-24-2019, 10:59 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

James Squire, I know what you mean about the cop shows and drinking. I have watched all the True Detective series. I recently watched an older show called The Wire. One of the main characters is a homicide detective who is also a raging alcoholic. He literally carries a flask of whiskey with him while on the job. Certainly a tough job...
Old 02-24-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
Think I'm gonna be the one buying the sound insulation, Dee.
What about talking to the council and seeing if the loud music can not be turned up until "regular" working hours--like 8 or 9 am?

Get a few signatures from other people in the immediate area, and you might get it approved.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:44 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

^^ I find it helpful to remember that the actors are actually having to drink cold tea or something equally unappetising
Old 02-24-2019, 11:49 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Good for you, shoes!

I’m going to dinner at my parents. Drinks flow freely there. They always stop after two or so. We didn’t. This will be difficult for me.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:28 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
Good u got thru weekend JS.
Hi Red, Its better on the bus. Hang in there and see out the month with everybody here.

Not a great day ......the return of some problems I kind of knew were going to re-emerge at some point. A big gym franchise to move in opposite. 5.15 a.m start every week morning....pounding techno. And I guess local authorities will approve it.
Oh. Wow.
AV immediately suggested that it had the answer........
No.
Think about it tomorro.

G'nite.
Has this happened where you live before? In NZ there are noise restrictions until a certain time, do you have this where you live?
Old 02-24-2019, 01:56 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Thanks for concern and interest over my current issue.
Its complex, yes there is a planning process that it must go through, and this is the second time around. Previously it was recommended for approval but with limits on class numbers. It was withdrawn, they needed bigger numbers, longer hours.

Which is where we are now at. I'm not alone in this.....just one of of the most directly affected. Many ppl in the area objected last time.....and I think the battle will continue.

I won't inflict a detailed daily account of it all, I've put it here as it relates to drinking really. It is a a very typical trigger element for me. So this time have to learn to handle it better.

I found that drinking is very strongly linked to obsessional thinking. Drinking, I can dwell on one thing for days, round and round, tirelessly. Sobriety is very much about getting free of this. Don't know if anyone has experienced this as part of alcoholism......though probably common. SR has taught me that there's nothing unusual....

So....this is a hurdle to overcome sober.

Hope everyone has a good sober day.
Later.