Notices

Weekender Thread 1-3 February 2019

Old 02-02-2019, 03:52 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Sunflower, you're okay. When I started in with negative thinking in early days I would often do some exercise. Walking in Nature was/is always the best thing for me if it was daytime. I also learned to change my thoughts. Mindfulness is super empowering once I learned how to do it.

They're just thoughts.

Think of beautiful things, happy things. You can change what you're thinking about...distraction and maybe a list of things to do that you keep handy. Good job coming here and also congrats on 71 days. Don't look back!

Welcome to Weekenders!
Old 02-02-2019, 04:03 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Old 02-02-2019, 04:04 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonewolf22 View Post
Does January class continue as February class?
Hi Lonewolf I believe it moved over to the Newcomer Daily Support Threads....you may find it there.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:05 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

^ agree. And it may not feel like it, Sunflower, but we CAN control them and not just roll over and accept them.

This is your sobriety muscle getting stronger. I’m sure you’ve worked out before, there’s always a little pain as we move to the next level.

Its dangerous to give in or go wth these thoughts. I remember after a few relapses, finally I learned to interrupt my romantic feelings for alcohol with a vivid recollection of gagging on red wine and violent vomiting. Sounds gross, but you know what, I never pandered to my brains romantic feelings for alcohol after that. Every single time it was BAM with the gagging and vomiting memory. It worked!
Old 02-02-2019, 04:06 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hi Lonewolf, no, your class will continue as the January class. People who start quitting in February will join the February class.

Your January class will move from the newcomers section to the section just below, called the daily support threads.

Edited: I suspected I’d cross posts with some other helpful member
Old 02-02-2019, 04:08 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Okay, so my comment about online dance lessons...Captain, I'm not sure what you're saying...

I was questioning, and I don't see how it was offensive but if it was to listae that was not my intent at all.

I have some Zumba DVDs. I guess that could be similar to online dance lessons. I surely look ridiculous trying to keep up! At least with Zumba I don't have to have a partner. I can't imagine doing dancing in my living room with a partner. But then, my living room is the size of most peoples' bedrooms.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:14 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi Bim, quite to the contrary (I wasn’t suggesting that your post was offensive at all).

I meant that your post (which I really enjoyed) was much in the same vein as a comment I made yesterday (in the same spirit as yours) in response to one of Sao’s posts.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Hi Bim, quite to the contrary. I meant that your post (which I really enjoyed) was much in the same vein as a comment I made yesterday in response to one of Sao’s posts.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:21 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

It's Groundhog Day

Old 02-02-2019, 04:42 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonewolf22 View Post
Where's the January class went to ?
Speaking for me and my wonderful classmates, you can join us in the class of May 2018. Pretty active and very supportive.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:43 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Mr

Good morning to all.
I've been slacking off on my logging ins.
Probably the time when I should be logging in the most.

For you're general knowledge Ireland play England in dublin in the opening weekend of the six nations rugby.

Stay strong this weekend
Old 02-02-2019, 04:48 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Okay, here's an odd thing that happened.

I called yesterday to make an appointment to get my car's oil changed. I asked him for a time, "Early next week."

He said, "Sunday, I guess Sunday wouldn't be good, that's SuperBowl Sunday."

I said, "I thought you were closed on Sunday?"

"We are."

<awkward pause by me>

?????

I don't follow sports, so I didn't know about the game - so at least my spidey senses were alerted to NOT schedule it for hangover Monday. So I guess it did serve a purpose, but it was an odd little detour in my phone call.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:06 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Sunflower84 View Post
...Apologies for a negative post I'm just hanging on by a thread today...
Never worry, anyone, about putting up a "negative" post. We are not here just to have fun and ignore our problems. Sunflower, you used this forum for exactly what's it's meant for and I so happy you did. See how members rallied around you?

Anyways, I know it's probably difficult at the moment, but can you find something that interests you and take it on as an activity to help distract the AV?
Old 02-02-2019, 05:19 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
...For me logging in here is all about strengthening my sobriety...
Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
...I've been slacking off on my logging ins...
Loggin in to SR every morning and evening was my secret weapon against my addiction. Coming here and posting just a few words enforced my resolve to beat this thing. And it works, you learn so much here!

That said, you can't rely on loggin into SR alone, you have to put in the hard work too...

Go thru the different forums here and read thru the stickies, find out about different methods, books, what other people did, build a plan, learn to avert the A/V.

It does get better, just keep stringing together sober days and learning new sober ways.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:20 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

(Hope that wasn't too 'preachy')
Old 02-02-2019, 05:35 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Never too preachy.

I spent quite a lot of time on this site reading. It is a deep well of wisdom. I would add that it is just as important to read around in the Friends & Family side. The sticky posts are of particular importance. Same with the Anxiety and Mental Health forums, but F&F is something that a lot of alcoholics overlook. Codie issues are huge for most of us. Control. Manipulation. How to cope with family, etc.

I learn from everyone. I have an online preacher (like a Christ-focused one) who I love, too.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:03 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

What's up everyone!

Speaking of up, I've been up since 4am. I'm trying to make the most of insomnia, as I'm a morning person at heart but this is ridiculous

Thanks for the reminder about stickys. I almost always ignore them on forums but this is the place to read them if there ever was a place.

My brain tends to zero in on things and I made the mistake of skipping this entire section of the forums...if you can believe that....."newcomers", hello? I sure wish I hadn't because it's the best part of the whole website and the most useful.

Case in point: this very thread is a goldmine. Like most people, I was so vulnerable during the weekend. This simple thread really helps get through it and makes you realize you're not the only one going through that lousy FOMO.

Sunflower welcome aboard. Glad you're here
Old 02-02-2019, 06:12 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I was up for the day at 3:13AM.

I did go to bed at 7:30 so I have an excuse. Pretty exciting life I'm leading.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post

It does get better, just keep stringing together sober days and learning new sober ways.
This is great Dragon!
Old 02-02-2019, 07:40 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum