Notices

Weekender Thread 7th -10th December2018

Old 12-08-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Administrator

Continued support for you and your daughter Dragon.

remember what they say guys - no one ever woke up regretting not drinking yesterday

Whatever gets us down this too shall pass

D
Old 12-08-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Thanks for the kind words gang, I think we kinda had our heads buried thinking it was done and over with. A few magic pills, some therapy and daughter is fixed. I credit her for really trying tho, getting the job in the first place was all her doing. Unfortnately, it was just a bit too much and to soon. After some discussion, we realise that she needed a better ongoing support structure and needs our help building it.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:54 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Are they really ukulele cookies?
how very cool
I just went for a walk along the beach in the rain, very nice. Lots of driftwood washed up from washing out the creeks and the bigger than usual waves. And now an icecream to put the AV at bay...
Old 12-08-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Mmmmm, I love Ice Cream!
Old 12-08-2018, 07:00 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Oh that looks really really delicious Dragon thank you
Old 12-08-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Well, Saturday is almost over and I didn't drink! Other than going out to lunch with a friend I was alone all day which in the past has been a trigger. Drinking gave me something to do I guess. So I got busy and did some cleaning around my home, tended to my fish aquarium and went out and did some Christmas shopping.

While out I went to the grocery store as well. As I was going down an aisle, I saw a display of drink mixers. I got out of the store as quick as possible before I made a trip to the liquor department.

But I am sober since the 4th of December and that is an accomplishment for me lately.

Have a good one all!
Old 12-08-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Well done Drake on both getting through Saturday and avoiding the mixers and liquor aisle! We can do this. One day at a time
Old 12-08-2018, 07:43 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Drake - and good for you trying again

D
Old 12-08-2018, 09:42 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for some great posts since I logged on last night.

Dragon, from what I can see you are a great father. Wishing you and your family all the best.

Welcome back Drake. I also kept fish for many years in the past. At one stage I had about five aquariums for a total volume of about 600l of water. The fortnightly (sometimes stretched to monthly) maintenance of so many tanks just got a bit much. I am thinking of starting up a single medium sized tank again.

We had a much needed rainshower last night that lasted about two hours. I measured 15mm. The soothing cloudy weather continues this morning.

I got to 6 months at the beginning of December. Once again I can attest to the saying of *it keeps getting better*.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:41 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning All.

Well done Drake.
Congrats Captain. You are really rocking it

We went to a pizza restaurant last night with some long time friends. (4 adults + 3 kids under 8) All I can say is I must have overdone it cause this morning man
I had a camembert roti (roasted cheese) basically a full camembert roasted a little in the oven served with salad, cured ham and fries.

Time to hit the day !

Later,
V.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
images.jpg (10.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 12-08-2018, 10:41 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hi Captain It’s been raining here too, very much needed. Lovely and refreshing for the parched earth
and 6 months is awesome
Old 12-08-2018, 10:43 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hi Vinny
Hope you feel better soon!
I drowned the AV in icecream this afternoon and feel like a bit like a slug myself now...
Old 12-09-2018, 12:52 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
saoutchik

LOL! It has been raining in Inverness too but unlike so many parts of the world it looks like the sort of place where it rains about 300 days a year.

That Duke of Kent is a strange looking person, you can tell he's an aristo.

Well done Drake and VMan - btw I know how good roasted Camembert is, yum.

Well done on getting through Friday and Saturday evenings (I reckon those of you on the west coast USA have just about made it)

I am hoping to get this afternoon and evening to myself. I wish I had time to read up about Inverness but went to bed at 8pm last night and fell asleep immediately.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:11 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I am guessing it’s pretty darn cold in Inverness at the moment Sao? Last time I was there was in January about 20 years ago and I don’t remember a lot except it was freezing. I was on some boozy bus tour. There was snow everywhere. Some crazy lads decided to go swimming in Loch Ness and they came out bright pink skinned! I’m surprised they didn’t have heart attacks, they were full of whiskey. I don’t remember much else sadly. Next year when I go to Scotland I look forward to actually seeing the place and remembering what I see! It will be so good to see Scotland sober
Old 12-09-2018, 02:25 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Just had the online video conference with my rehab buddies which is my favorite part of the week. We're from all over the world and it's great to stay in touch and talk about our week and what is going on for us. It's a strong little family and I always feel positive and warm and fuzzy inside after the call

We have sunshine today!! Yay!! First day of no rain for quite a few weeks so this afternoon I am going to shower and get out for a long walk, really missed my walking.

So, reflections of the week! Getting back into the real world of work was harder than I thought. I was not in control of everything and that made me uncomfortable. I can make changes this week to counteract some of the stress I felt and have been meal prepping to have food to take to work and won't be caught out getting hungry again. I joined the gym and intend on going very early in the morning to get the feel good chemicals going, the weather cannot be my excuse to not exercise. Exercise is vital to my recovery so I have to make sure I do some...it's non negotiable! I also found it much easier to say "I don't drink" and leave it at that too. After work Monday the team wanted to go to the bar for some drinks (bonding etc) and I just wanted to go back to my hotel but was getting the train there with them so felt I had to stay. I had a couple of lime and soda's and was fine with it, a little part of me wanted the warmth of a glass of red but when I thought about it what I wanted was not real. There is no such thing as one glass of red for me, and I have come to far and enjoy the feeling of being sober so much more than drinking. No-one batted an eyelid that I didn't drink, and if they did I didn't notice! They all talk about drinking a lot, my boss really likes a drink and drops it into most sentances he says. I wasn't bothered or triggered, to be honest my eyes just glazed over and it bored me. I wasn't jealous/angry at them or feeling superior that I am not in denial and they are, it just went in one ear and out the other leaving no trace or reaction in my mind. I am proud of that I've come a long way in the last 6 months. On Tuesday will be my 6 month soberversary!!

One negative behaviour that I need to manage is when I get stressed I seem to get obsessed about others behaviours and get annoyed with them. For example there was this woman on the train sitting opposite me, for the whole 2 hours she was pulling at a piece of long hair and it was really getting under my skin. I wanted to climb over the table and tell her to stop ******* well doing it!! I became obsessed, even when i closed my eyes I could feel her still doing it. I couldn't think of anything else. That was all my own issue, I was stressed, tired, hungry, feeling nervous and scared of failure at work, lacking confidence thinking they don't like me and the list of negative self talk and dysfunctional thinking goes on. Normally I would have been rolling my eyes and huffing or giving her the hard stare but I knew that I needed to resolve my own issues here, she was doing nothing wrong and I was projecting. I am glad I could see it so clearly and it was an opportunity for growth on my part.

Big hugs out to all the lovely weekenders xx

Last edited by Dee74; 12-09-2018 at 03:56 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:53 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday all.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Afternoon, weekenders.

Not much to report here.

I will cave in watching UFC.

Later)
Old 12-09-2018, 04:27 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Sorry Dee :
Old 12-09-2018, 05:41 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post

Welcome back Drake. I also kept fish for many years in the past. At one stage I had about five aquariums for a total volume of about 600l of water. The fortnightly (sometimes stretched to monthly) maintenance of so many tanks just got a bit much. I am thinking of starting up a single medium sized tank again.
I was the same, 5-6 big tanks and working on them constantly with expensive fish. I got a nice, calm, simple 30 gallon with tetras, gouramis and such. Much less hassle and still fun to watch.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Hi Manta, good insight on your projecting feelings on that other woman. She more than likely had her own problems and didn' need a stranger glaring at her to make her feel smaller.

I had a 50 gallon tank I bought with own hard earned money at the age of 16. I kept it right up until a few years ago when I got sick of maintaining it and gave it all away. Just one more thing that drinking pushed out of my life.