Notices

I did something special BUT

Old 12-13-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Day 1...

I did something special BUT

Because I'm working Christmas eve, I went to see my family yesterday to exchange presents and what not.
I was very generously bought a large bottle of rum. Now it's a gift so you can't say no but when I got home I tipped the entire bottle down the drain. Job done

So, what's the "but"? BUT, I'm bored. Because I've been working nights all year, I am very firmly awake at night which I would usually play some computer games or watch some box sets or something on my days off.
I've lost interest in those at the moment as it's my week off, so I don't even want to drink alcohol right now, it holds no appeal at the moment, I just want to make time pass faster by drinking.

It's actually a right to not go get a bottle of wine right now which I know I won't enjoy anyway.
It's really frustrating me that I seem to beating the cravings but I can't beat habit
Old 12-13-2018, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It takes a while to instill new habits. Stay sober and the desire to drink will go away eventually.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2/2016

I rearranged furniture. Cleaned closets and drawers. Went to the movies. I ate a lot of ice cream as well Read a ton of books. Anything to do something different, not sit in the same spot I drank. Good luck
Old 12-13-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know what you mean it's been two weeks since I quit and I'm going through a bored streak. Everything seems the same, work, home life, all the same routine and I want something more, something different now.

I guess I drank out of boredom in the past and now I need something to fill my time. Finding that something has been a struggle but drinking won't help so I won't drink. Drinking will just leave me drunk, bored and depressed.

I don't have any great advice for you since I'm also struggling with the same issues but we can not drink together.

K
Old 12-13-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’ve found that I have lost interest in certain things because they were things I did while drinking. Now I have new interest and do things I never thought I would do. It does take awhile but the thought of drinking does go away given enough time. You can do it. Stay strong .
Old 12-13-2018, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd much rather be bored than drunk.
I drank, in the late stages, because I was bored. And the reason I was bored was because I was drunk. If that makes sense.
Drinking brought back all the glory years. My mind seemed to be freed of boredom, when in fact all that I was doing is sitting on the couch drunk reliving the past or living in a fantasy land in my head.

It's a juxtaposition. Sober bored and drunk bored were two different things to me.
I had to totally re-learn what sobriety is.
It took me a long time.

Now, ten years sober, I am a bit bored, but a whole new world has opened up.
I am no longer afraid to leave the house. I'm not laying in bed all day hungover and miserable. Just waiting to sober up a little so I could drink again.

I drank alcoholicly for thirty years. The last ten mostly alone.
I know what drunk bored is.

Now I know what sober bored is. I love it.
I'm free to do whatever I choose or want to. It is such freedom, I can't explain it.
I'm free.

Bored? It's really not in my vocabulary any more. I'm sober. The world is my oyster. Go any where, do anything. Or just sit and think. And I love to think with a clear mind.

It took some getting used to, believe me, but I wish the same for you.
There's nothing in my life a drink is going to make better.

Oh, the living I missed out on drunk. It's very disheartening to me.
The places and events I could have gone to. But no, I was drunk or hungover. For ten years at the end.

You will adapt. Give it time. Staying sober is a reward unto itself.
Freedom. I have it now and I wish the same for you.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh, and great job for dumping the booze. I've dumped out more than a normal drinker drinks in a year. So GREAT job!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

You done ******* amazing pouring that away

Note to SR mods I'm thinking we should archive all the posts of where people pour it away to show others like a "I poured it away sticky thread "

Massive well done stick with us
Old 12-13-2018, 08:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

K,

Boredom equals crave.

I copied my wife and son when I was bored and craving. They piddle w stuff until bed time.

I piddle now too. I also get stuff done. E.g...laundry, research, installing a refrigerator etc etc.

It isn't boring anymore, now it is freedom and energy. I look forward to getting real sleep and waking up feeling revived.

Then I sometimes go to the gym early. I don't fear f2f with the boss,or anyone. I don't fear driving home at 2 am from a show or party.

Thanks.