Notices

Weekender Thread 19-23 October 2018

Old 10-21-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Old 10-21-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Mrs. D. is struggling abit this morning but determined to go out. She's meeting with her closest freinds to celebrate the birthday of a freind who recently past away.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Oh BTW...
https://nationaldaycalendar.com/nati...ay-october-21/
Old 10-21-2018, 07:05 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

My first car was a 1970 AMC hornet. We called it the 'Green hornet'. It was passed down to me from my Mom. It was the first car she had bought on her own. I remember the struggle she had finding a bank that would give her a car loan without requiring my dad to co-sign. She was determined to do it on her own merit. I also remeber how happy she was when she brought it home.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Morning. Starting second cuppa. Just happy to be ok and present to this sunny morning. Really gorgeous weather and should be all week.

Slept better last night than I have in some time = about 6 hours straight. Delicious!

Dealing with some kind of long-term family issues lately. Used to drink at it. No more.

Work is actually a bright spot for me now. I know that will be a shocker for some of you. I changed roles a few months ago, and the new role suits me very well. I only hope the job will just last awhile now. I am not certain it is sufficiently funded or if it has a strong enough work stream. But I am ENJOYING it. I also hope they let me keep it. I completely lost my temper and made an ass of myself in a meeting the other day. The slower, less intense work ought to give me chance to work on myself. Build back my confidence and lose the defensiveness/pride that results in this kind of misbehavior. Again...Used to drink at it = no more.

I find I require a lot of quiet weekend morning hours to process my week past...think, plan, re-plan. Finally catching up a bit, I think...beginning to dream and plan for more fun, more love, more enjoyment in near future.

Drink kept me perpetually on the brink in every way. The brink of despair, brink of disaster, brink of failure, of loss. Brinks small (f#@k the lost keys) and large (fill in the blank).

Was it Dr Who or Hitchhikers Guide that had the bar positioned to forever view the moment before the destruction of the galaxy? At least that is how I remember it. How perfect an image.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

oh. nom. Pumpkin cheesecake.

I have my altered recipe pumpkin cheesecake, and I can make one serving and be satisfied.

Jello pudding "cheesecake" flavor (12g)
One cup of Fage 2% Greek yogurt
A quarter cup pumpkin puree
1/4 tsp Allspice or combo of cinnamon and nutmeg
10g chopped walnuts

No flour, not much sugar. Delish, and I don't eat the whole pie. I'll have to post a pic next time I make it.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Mr

Courage and bravo to Mrs Dragon for venturing out...!

Indeed bigshoe they left Ireland for America in throngs and some of them very young. I'm not from Tipp town but I am a Tipp man

Thank you for the Cortina ML and Sao.
It's my mam and dad on either side on their wedding day. It's trip down memory lane with old photo albums today. Nostalgia time or a little melancholy not sure.

Hope you are all having a great sober relaxing day.

See you all later.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

I have all those ingredients!! I am totally making your version today, bim!

Edit: i think will puree the blackberries I have that need to be used, instead of pumpkin. Save the tin of pk for November.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
I have all those ingredients!! I am totally making your version today, bim!
Hi, bixy!

Mix the jello powder (12g is about a Tablespoon) in with the yogurt and add a splash of milk, stir for a couple minutes. Let that sit for 10 minutes in the fridge or freezer. Chop the nuts. Add the spices to the pumpkin. At first I added brown sugar to the pumpkin, but I don't any more. Your taste may vary.

When the jello cheesecake sets, sprinkle the nuts on it (it's like a crust, sort of upside down-like.) Then I put the dollop of pumpkin on top of that. It's good if you heat the pumpkin, too. Even a little tiny piece of butter on the pumpkin is good. I think it's about 250 calories? Maybe 300.

And, oh. yeah. All the fruits work. I usually make it daily with mixed berries or applesauce, nuts and the cheesecake jello yogurt. A sprinkle of trail mix or even granola can be subbed for the walnuts. The best part is the Jello pudding cheesecake.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:08 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Forget the blackberries...i am going with yours, verbatim. Thanks for the details!
Old 10-21-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
saoutchik

A '68 Mustang for a first car, wow bim! Mine was a Citroen Deux Chevaux or 2CV with a mighty 40 horsepower. I expect some of you own vacuum cleaners that are more powerful.

That's great news on the work fron Bix, fingers crossed.

Best wishes to Mrs Dragon.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Evening or morning, weekenders.

Lost of beautiful posts, such a treat to read this thread.

Glad you like your new job position, Bix.

My first and so far the only car was VW Jetta.

Today I let myself to go with the flow instead of trying to attach any particular activity to the time when "it should be done", and had a very productive day.

I did a lot of writing first thing in the morning, stocked up on groceries, did more writing, prepared food, went to the gym and did an hour of cardio, and now back to my writing.

I am also back to nutrition which makes most sense to me. It means lean meat, veggies, legumes, healthy oil, and fruit in moderation. Yes, that's about it till at least New Year. Then we'll see.

I googled "Best movies for Halloween" and before I finished typing Google gave me a list of suggestions, and among tops ones was "best movies for hangover days".

Really?

Glad I can't even imagine typing such a request.

It's getting colder, real autumn. I like it.

I like being sober.

I like when I meet my boxing buddy at the queue to ATM I am not ashamed, but having a good laugh with him (I wouldn't start boxing in the first place).

I like when the receptionist at the gym smile ans says "I'll see you tomorrow".

I love waking up clear-headed, having the first cup of coffee while writing my morning pages.

I like the night falling over the city and I am not haunted by regrets.

I love this string of constant connections to good experiences in life.

And I surely love sober weekends.

Have a good one, weekenders.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Great post, MB.

Sao, I didn't like the Mustang. I know this sounds spoiled but it was a gift from a family member. I was 16. The thing drove like a Mac truck and slid all over the road/fishtailed. Florida and the daily 3PM deluge of rain didn't help.

It did look cool. It was just no fun to drive and I traded it in for a brand new VW Beetle soon after...which I loved.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Mr

Great stuff MB.
Very much enjoyed reading your post.

VW beetles loved all over the world

Goodnight weekenders
Old 10-21-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Good night, Vinny.

Time for me to get ready for bed too.

NIghty-night.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

First car: an old white Beetle with a sun roof that you rolled open with a crank. It was a stick shift, which I'd never driven before. I named it Snowy the Pearl, packed it with my girlfriends, and we drove it everywhere. Loved that car.

MB, great post. Isn't it wonderful to list the good things about a sober weekend? You sound so much better lately! I'm happy for you …

Have a nice sober Sunday night, everyone (and Monday morning for those of you who live across the globe from me!).
Old 10-21-2018, 02:00 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Hey gang. Wrapping up the weekend here by enjoying the first true cool snap. Feels spectacular. Just for fun I pulled out the smoker and have a couple of Cornish hens and the hickory smoke chugging away.

So enjoyable to read all your posts this weekend.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

My first car- EH Holden Stationwagon. Floorboards for back passengers because of rust. Clothesline wire for handbrake. Filled up all the rust with wallplaster mixed with varnish- worked a treat. I once had 16 people in and on it- to drive very slowly back to the campsite in a seasonal fruit picking job I had. A very solid car.

I also had (amongst others) a 1963 Bug- 6 volt, 36hp. I put 8 inch fats on it- so wide I could not turn corners as the wheels got caught on the fenders. Also air horns- as the mighty 36 horse engine could not cope- the compressor took about 6 seconds to work. Also extractors- it used to shoot flames out the back.

It worked- until one day when every cylinder exploded in succession...
Old 10-21-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

In for the night. Another sober weekend in the books. Good thread this weekend, thanks everyone for being here. Strength in numbers.

I just got back from my walk. As I was getting on the trail a super drunk couple were arguing and I had to go pretty close to them to get on the trail. The smell and the slurring gave them away.

I took my walk, and was almost back home when I saw a police car - on the bike trail - six cops, and drunk guy on the ground in cuffs, yelling and trying to kick the cop. Three in the afternoon.

Yeah. That didn't end well for him, I don't think. Girlfriend was in the back of the police car already. They were probably in their fifties. At least they didn't fall in the river. That would have been worse.

Me? I talked to a bunch of people on the trail with their dogs, got to pet an Airedale and a big German Shepherd and now I'm going to fix a salad and watch some TV. Sober. No hangover and no sleeping on concrete in jail.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Sunday evening here.....Cup of hot tea and a new "Good Witch" movie just started

Thanks everyone for helping me stay sober this weekend!