Notices

The Big Switcheroo Weekender 20-25 June 2018

Old 06-23-2018, 03:20 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had moments of silly giddyness for sure Willow

I'm not sure whether it was recovery related or if I was simply relieved and grateful for being alive and sober

No need for apologies either - just doing my job

D
Old 06-23-2018, 03:22 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for helping me make it through another Saturday sober, I’m off to bed, goodnight everyone 😊
Old 06-23-2018, 03:22 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Administrator

Melatonin is prescription only in the UK as it is here in Australia.

I tried the homeopathic 'melatonin' you can get over the counter in the chemists but it did nothing for me.

D
Old 06-23-2018, 03:25 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I had moments of silly giddyness for sure Willow

I'm not sure whether it was recovery related or if I was simply relieved and grateful for being alive and sober

No need for apologies either - just doing my job

D
Well you’re doing a really awesome job looking out for us all 😊
thanks D 😊
Old 06-23-2018, 03:33 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
(...) I have a lot of drinking thoughts today. I finish my shift at 4pm and I’m thinking of going to the shop straight after to get bottles... but I won’t. Sigh. I want to give myself a chance, stay sober for a few months and see what happens. I remember my 90 sober days back in October; I was so healthy and proud of myself.

Right, off to work now.

Thank you all for your kind words and support!
Koala hug to you mon amie Snufkin!
Hang on, it will pass.

Hello weekenders, I arrive on page 13 and...what the...boy! I'm late!!
Old 06-23-2018, 03:39 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Now, there is a UFC fight night live which is ridiculously early because it is in Singapore. And soccer starts in 1 hour 20 minutes.

Dilemma though.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Hello friends

Snuf I hope your day picks up....like Lizajane said, I also like how you're able to keep your sense of humor through these times. Maybe something will motivate you to do some of your awesome artwork!

And as MB mentioned I need to get up and move, otherwise I feel like total crap. Yesterday I went to the gym....I should do that today but that would interfere with my plans to not go anywhere...excuses, excuses....okay maybe later....but for now I'm enjoying SR, no hangover, and of course coffee!
Old 06-23-2018, 04:55 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Ok, fight night goes every other week, World Cup once in four years.

Soccer it is.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:13 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Ok, fight night goes every other week, World Cup once in four years.

Soccer it is.
Soccer it is here too!
Once every four years is a pretty strong point : I'll watch these Belgium Red Devils too

Hello Purps, I'm having a nice no-hangover coffee with you!
Old 06-23-2018, 05:23 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I have had to close all my windows, there is a big warehouse on fire a couple of miles northeast of me.

It would be beneficial to England if Tunisia could somehow get a result against Belgium but that is a long shot.

Edit: I have just found out that Robert de Niro is staying in the Nobu Hotel in my borough, coo! Are you looking at me?....
Old 06-23-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
06:50am meh meh meh

I couldn’t sleep all night, I know it sounds weird, but sometimes I’m too tired to sleep.

Today I’m feeling stuck, unmotivated and I just let the negativity to consume me. This is a very dangerous place to be in. I assume there’s no escaping and I find it hard to believe that sobriety’s ever gonna change this crazy delusional brain. It’s awful how easy it is to just sit and wallow in all this filth of self-destruction. I start to think, hey dumbass, it’s too hard, just give up already! My mind is filled with thoughts of worthlessness, thoughts of being hated and unloved.

I don’t think any of this BS is true. I am not worthless, I am not hated, and there are people who care about me... it’s just really hard to climb back out of this hole.

I have a lot of drinking thoughts today. I finish my shift at 4pm and I’m thinking of going to the shop straight after to get bottles... but I won’t. Sigh. I want to give myself a chance, stay sober for a few months and see what happens. I remember my 90 sober days back in October; I was so healthy and proud of myself.

Right, off to work now.

Thank you all for your kind words and support!

Love.....I was worried when you said you had picked up 50 hours worth of shifts....too much on our minds and too many hours of work = too much pressure.....and nope, the bottle shop isn't the answer.

I know bim mentioned this already, but I want to say again that we have the power to change our thoughts. Heck, I doubt we are aware that we are actually choosing to let them run free half the time...change the channel. Actively start thinking thoughts of gratitude, thoughts about how so many people love your art, how awesome Leon is, that you just got your art degree....I challenge you to think about these things and feel the same feelings of doubt and fear.....change your thoughts and you change your feelings.

This is how I climb out honey. ♥♥
Old 06-23-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
Hi everyone ~ Day 6 .....went grocery shopping this morning so I could come straight home after work. (I spent the same amount at the grocery store as I did in one sitting last Saturday at the bar!)

Got my chocolate milk and hopefully I can stay home and cozy for the weekend and not have to go anywhere! Thanks everyone for being here
You go girl.....gonna be an awesome day 7. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Old 06-23-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
Folks, End of Day 8! No AV in the vicinity. Feeling super sleepy due to a busy Friday. Good night/day all.
Awesome....!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2018, 05:31 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Sorry—that was my fault

Welcome back, Bernie!

Calmself, I’m glad things are going well.

You too, Purps!

How did everyone else do on Friday night?
I have been way too cheeky lately.....it was in fact my fault and I sincerely apologise.....I would never want the fun part to go too far....I go too far....I won't do it again....

Suze
Old 06-23-2018, 05:34 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Thanks Gilmer, at the moment I’m just finding it really surprising I guess. It’s a bit of a roller coaster ride but it definitely beats the awful bleakness I experienced waking up each day when I was drinking... if it gets too much I will go and see someone but at the moment I’m just observing my fluctuating emotions, it’s actually quite fascinating when I kind of step back and pay attention, almost like an impartial witness like they talk about in meditation (which I haven’t previously ever really got the hang of). Maybe I’ll get better at meditation now that I’m no longer drinking....
I was the same, and I saw it as my brain waking up and trying to cope....all emotions felt so fresh and new....yo hear it over and over that newly sober people sob their heart out at ads on TV or get furious over the fact that milk went up 10 cents....I used to shock myself, but as Gilmer said, it levels out....and in all honesty you are doing fabulously.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:39 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Melatonin is prescription only in the UK as it is here in Australia.

I tried the homeopathic 'melatonin' you can get over the counter in the chemists but it did nothing for me.

D
I tried it too and it was terrible for me....terrible....gave me horrendous nightmares.

To add to Midnight's advice....a nice trick is soaking your feet in warm water for a few minutes before bed....it actually helps the body's natural melatonin to kick in.

And also, no food for at least two hours before bed....and Dragon love....maybe you could have decaf later in the day? I have some here in case I suddenly want coffee in the afternoon.

OK....must go wake up sleeping man upstairs....I am awake and running around like an energizer bunny while some people sleep in.

We are going to have a good weekend guys...or the rest of one.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:13 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I have been way too cheeky lately.....it was in fact my fault and I sincerely apologise.....I would never want the fun part to go too far....I go too far....I won't do it again....

Suze
Thats what I say everytime I am bored and go on a road trip, next time I will ________, than proceed to test the limits of my gas tank and road clearance. We should road trip together, yes we most certainly should!

badge
Old 06-23-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Oh...to road trip with you and the dogs....how awesome...I could hold onto the one who is scared of bends and twists.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Because it's like a nervous tick now, or like a soccer player who has to wear his favorite socks for "luck" (they do wear socks, don't they?) - I have to say it.

Sober Saturday morning never gets old.

I gotta admit, I had a bit of spinning thoughts yesterday and woke up at 2:30AM with a fear/anxiety reaction. Happens.

I know why. I spent too much time talking to my neighbor - who has a lot of issues. She needs Gilmer or Venuscat for sure, because I am not good at listening to people with (self-created) problems. Even after all these years, other peoples' problems are painful for me. It feels intrusive.

Codependency, go the heck away. Her fear was palpable and some of it followed me home. I had to purposely and mindfully detach from it when I got home, but it got in there enough to hit me in the middle of the night.

Also, as silly as it is - the refrigerator thing is something I have to consciously work through with affirmative thoughts so I don't worry-spin-out on that too. Ridiculous that I started thinking about, "What if? [this or that breaks too]?"

Any reason and no reason for me to cause angst sometimes. It's a really bad habit. REALLY bad...and I've mostly broken myself of it. What I do is pray and walk. Some people may call it meditation. I have a couple simple prayers I put on "repeat." The Serenity Prayer is the easiest shortest one. They work. Words in order. If I say them, other fears can't be there at the same time.

Venus hit it - change your thoughts, change your life. It was a real revelation to me when I understood that I had control of that. Not of which thoughts come in, but how I frame them.

I saw a book once and I wish I'd bought it - it was called, "Why You Can't Afford Even One Negative Thought." Well, maybe the title is enough.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:26 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

man. It's a good thing they don't charge me by the word to post here.