Notices

Weekender Thread 22-26 February 2018

Old 02-24-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Embracing Joys of Sobriety

Hit my 45 days today and I am starting to think about my long term sobriety goals, rather than just bare knuckling it each day. Just that it is hard for me to go to any meeting from any program because I am deaf and there is no access for me except one or two once a month meeting an hour away. Maybe there is an online sponsor? I do not know where to begin!
Old 02-24-2018, 08:10 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Off for puppy play at the state park.
Our Aussie Cattle Dog is quite the leaper / ball fetcher and she's ready to rock.

It's been raining for days so just being outside without drizzle is sounding pretty good.

Wishing all a Happy Sober Weekend!
Old 02-24-2018, 08:20 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Congrats Gem on 45 days! Have you visited the SMART online program? They have meetings, chat rooms, forums, etc. Here is a link; hope this helps

https://www.smartrecovery.org/?gclid...SAAEgJ1DvD_BwE
Old 02-24-2018, 08:24 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gem010918 View Post
Hit my 45 days today and I am starting to think about my long term sobriety goals, rather than just bare knuckling it each day. Just that it is hard for me to go to any meeting from any program because I am deaf and there is no access for me except one or two once a month meeting an hour away. Maybe there is an online sponsor? I do not know where to begin!
I did almost all my recovery on this site this time. I did go to AA meetings for the first 90 days, but it wasn't my thing.

I quit once before for 18 years with no meetings. The info is all in the Big Book or online these days, so it's great for you! Do you have any hearing friends who could sign for you in a meeting? Non alcoholics are welcome in AA Open meetings.

I bet if you wanted to go to meetings and if you went to one or two someone would know an alcoholic who knows sign language who would be more than happy to be of service and meet you at meetings.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

At the office on this gray Saturday but sober as an oak tree.

UFC fights on Fox tonight and the Warriors play the Thunder!! Kind of exciting to be sober and REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED when I wake up tomorrow morning.

Hope everyone is sober and doing well.

No one is coming to save us.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:08 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Hey weekenders! Hope all are well. 37 days for me today - longer than I’ve ever gone as an adult (perhaps there was some exception pregnant) I. am really starting to cherish my Saturday mornings. Big breakfasts with the kiddo and long walks with the dog. Such a beautiful life when not hungover or drunk!! I am the chaperone at a lock in tonight with my daughter. We will have 20 girls overnight in a gym. I’m not exactly looking forward to it, but it’s awesome that I can do it. Before it would not have been an option due to not being able to drink. I hope you all have an awesome day!!
Old 02-24-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Hey Komplex, good to see you and congrats on 37 days!
Old 02-24-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders PalmerSage and Gem!

Good to see you BigShoe.

My little business trip to Paris must have taken more out of me than I thought - I "napped" for two and a half hours today.

Monkey Life has been showing "fo' evah" here in the UK, the Monkey World Sanctuary was established by an American, Jim Cronin, who sadly passed away a few years ago at the age of 55, it is funded by public donations I believe as it is not a zoo.

It is great that so many of us are staying off the grog this weekend, life is so much better without it.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:10 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Komplex View Post
Hey weekenders! Hope all are well. 37 days for me today - longer than I’ve ever gone as an adult (perhaps there was some exception pregnant) I. am really starting to cherish my Saturday mornings. Big breakfasts with the kiddo and long walks with the dog. Such a beautiful life when not hungover or drunk!! I am the chaperone at a lock in tonight with my daughter. We will have 20 girls overnight in a gym. I’m not exactly looking forward to it, but it’s awesome that I can do it. Before it would not have been an option due to not being able to drink. I hope you all have an awesome day!!
Couldn't agree with your sentiments more. It's amazing how good the simple pleasures are in life when I'm not either suffering from the night before, drunk at the moment, or anxiously planning how I'll deceive myself and drink later. Congrats on 37, can't wait to get there myself.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Yeah, Cronin died of liver cancer.

What a legacy. His wife is something, too.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

AV alive and well after a day of sunshine and hiking. Going to go the movies with SO although I normally dislike theaters. Figure it will keep me out of trouble for the rest of the evening.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
saoutchik

A movie sounds like a good displacement activity goodbyeevan. It makes ignoring that AV easier. I hope it's a good one.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:21 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Daughter and I are starting ukulele lessons together. First session is today, looking forward to sharing this experience with her.
I'm not as practiced on the Uke as I used to be but it's good fun

sausage roll = mystery meat wrapped in pastry

Congrats on 37 days Komplex - great stuff
you too Gem - 45 is awesome

good to see you here bigshoe

Hope everyone is having a good weekend

D
Old 02-24-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
...I also have relaxing Youtube background music playing...
GodSmack?
Old 02-24-2018, 06:36 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

We got buttons today. I guess so we won't be mistaken for real players?
Old 02-24-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gem010918 View Post
There are online sponsors, I saw that at an AA chat room. Now I can't find that site but they are out there.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

STDragon, I love your Othello quote. I think that is one of my most favorite Shakespeare plays. Hard to choose!!
Old 02-24-2018, 08:18 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

I'm reversing the "to do" list into a "got done" list:
Prepared and served breakfast for 4
Loaded and unloaded the dishwasher
Did 4 loads of laundry
Picked out a new kitchen table
Baked 1 cake
Made 1 salad
Watched Homeland
Did some light exercise
Read on SR
Took a nap
Spent an evening with friends
Planned a dinner to host tomorrow

Thanks for the support and great ideas!
Old 02-24-2018, 10:12 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Can't sleep

Impossible to go to sleep. I know that insomnia is typical for recovery but it has been a deal breaker for me in the past. What to do! I don't want to be on sleeping pills nor do I think my doctor would prescribe any because he knows that I am an alcoholic and the pills that work are addictive. So I rely on your support. I am sure that there is a thread somewhere about insomnia but any ideas how to beat it would be appreciated.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:18 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by icewater1961 View Post
Impossible to go to sleep. I know that insomnia is typical for recovery but it has been a deal breaker for me in the past. What to do! I don't want to be on sleeping pills nor do I think my doctor would prescribe any because he knows that I am an alcoholic and the pills that work are addictive. So I rely on your support. I am sure that there is a thread somewhere about insomnia but any ideas how to beat it would be appreciated.
there's a whole subforum:
I'm a terrible insomniac too, so I share your pain