Notices

Weekender Thread 22-26 February 2018

Old 02-24-2018, 10:38 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Administrator

Icewater I found I got better with sleep in about 10 days to 2 weeks...if you've not had insomnia before I know its hard but I really believe it's doable to get through the adjustment phase - every parent of a newborn has to go on with diminished sleep for example.

If you have had insomnia before why not see a Dr anyway - they may be able to help...I've had great results with melatonin but I'd definitely see if that suitable for you first.

In the mean time, here are some common sense ideas that may help?
https://www.better-sleep-better-life...mnia-tips.html
https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/insomnia...omniatips.aspx

D
Old 02-24-2018, 11:11 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gem010918 View Post
Hit my 45 days today and I am starting to think about my long term sobriety goals, rather than just bare knuckling it each day. Just that it is hard for me to go to any meeting from any program because I am deaf and there is no access for me except one or two once a month meeting an hour away. Maybe there is an online sponsor? I do not know where to begin!
Oh my gosh....hi Gem, and I am so sorry love....I somehow missed reading this.

I think you know me from the 24-hour thread, hi.

Apart from all of the ideas the others have offered, I would like to offer online help if you want it....I am AA big-time and the steps are important to me. The program along with SR saved my life.

If you would like to talk about anything, or do step-work we can.....just throwing it out there.

Love Suze. x
Old 02-24-2018, 11:12 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Hope you were able to get to sleep Icewater.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=venuscat;6799858]Hope you were able to get to sleep Icewater. ♥[/QUOTE
It is 5.30 and I have not slept at all! Well, eventually I will be so tired that I will sleep!
Old 02-25-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Icewater: Sorry you're having so much trouble ~ I found a couple of cd's that have relaxing/meditation music that I put on if I can't sleep.....Youtube has a lot of good stuff too....maybe that would help?
Old 02-25-2018, 04:33 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders! I'm having coffee & trying to get myself to practice painting today; something cool on a canvas. I have all the supplies so I need to just get up and do it. Speaking of background music (LOL Dragon!) I learned to be careful when having rock music on while trying to paint.....next thing I know, I'm air drumming with a paint brush and it's flying all over the place! Whoops
Old 02-25-2018, 04:35 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

In early sobriety I found that when I woke up in the middle of the night, if I had a cup of warm milk or some herbal sleepytime tea and a piece of toast, I always was able to go back to sleep. I figured it could have been a blood sugar thing.

Melatonin is like LSD for me, and not in a good way. I have horrible nightmares on that stuff. Be careful out there.

SR is always open and it's a comforting place at 3AM.

Anyway, it took about a month until my sleep settled, and I also found a walk in the daytime did wonders for sleep later on. I think we get so much newfound energy in sobriety. It's a little weird at first.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Sunday Weekenders! I'm learning to play better with others in the sandbox of life as I'm starting to spend more time at my fiance's house as the larger plan is to sell his and move South. We've been together for a long time staying at each other's place but also enjoying our own places.

Fabulous job the early sobriety folks are doing! Keep up the great work!!
Old 02-25-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders icewater! It's a bit of a boring answer but physical activity does seem to help combat insomnia so perhaps a decent walk somewhere might help.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Long hours this time of year for those of us with a tax business. Maybe a bit too long. I was just getting a frozen veggie burger out to nuke for a quick bite. The package says "Grillers Prime".
So, I said out loud,
Grillas!
Magilla Grillas!

and then giggled for the next 2 minutes.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

I slept two hours early morning. Oh well! It was not bad. Warm milk and toast sounds like a good idea, I sometimes feel a bit sleepy when I eat. I used to be on Trazodone but while it works for some people it did not for me. Have not had Melatonin for a long time, tried it for jet lag in the past, but I may give it another try. Trazodone gave nightmares Melatonin did not. That's just personal, anecdotal experience of mine. We are all different, best to ask a doctor I agree. Thanks again for the advice and support!
Old 02-25-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
...Melatonin is like LSD for me, and not in a good way. I have horrible nightmares on that stuff....
It effects me in similar ways too, have to keep the dosage very low. Helped me drift off but I don't stay down for long. At home, I don't have too many problems sleeping, but in hotels, forget it.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Hello weekenders. Glad to see everyone had decent weekends.

I went to bed at 6pm last night. Everything went well with our home inspection, my mortgage was in underwriting so long because we are 9 months early on our renewal and they were working out how to structure it so we didn't have to pay prepayment penalties. In addition to early to bed, my cold flu thing is almost gone. Everyone has been saying, you are stressed that is why you are sick. I was raised stress is the inability to correctly react and deal with things. In 4 weeks we had my father in laws accident, we listed the house, FIL died, we sold and bought a new house, racked up 40,000 miles flying back and forth... I looked at Dh today, I said, maybe I was stressed lol. I definitely feel the weight off my shoulders and it feels so good! It eas a wuiet weekend, just what we all needed!

Now I am ready for bed again. Goodnight weekenders!
Old 02-25-2018, 06:20 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

I shall be turning in too, shortly.....having some Sleepytime Tea to wind down

I liked my painting enough to post on Instagram so I guess that's good. Still kinda new at it but I can't hide from the world forever....today I went downtown and I thought I may be triggered when being near the bars ~ to my surprise, I was kind of repulsed by the smell of alcohol as I walked by. Dunno if that's ever happened before without a hangover, lol!

Well I better stay close....I requested this coming Friday off so that'll wake up my AV for sure....I would love a sober three day weekend! Thanks everyone for helping me through this one!
Old 02-25-2018, 06:54 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
In early sobriety I found that when I woke up in the middle of the night, if I had a cup of warm milk or some herbal sleepytime tea and a piece of toast, I always was able to go back to sleep. I figured it could have been a blood sugar thing.

Melatonin is like LSD for me, and not in a good way. I have horrible nightmares on that stuff. Be careful out there.

SR is always open and it's a comforting place at 3AM.

Anyway, it took about a month until my sleep settled, and I also found a walk in the daytime did wonders for sleep later on. I think we get so much newfound energy in sobriety. It's a little weird at first.
I just wanted to say me too....I tried it at some stage in early sobriety and found myself in a land that was weirder than any place alcohol took me....

I forgot to mention that I sleep like what...hmm....like a baby? That is so wrong....babies are not peaceful sleepers....I sleep like a puppy. A few snorts and things (and Nick says sometimes I run in my sleep ) but my sleep is good....and I have more tips if you need them.

One thing....your pillow....make sure you have the right pillow that's really comfortable for you.

Hi all....busy weekend with house stuff but our house is now finished and we are tired but happy campers.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Nite MLH.....glad everything with the house is going smoothly and that you are feeling better.

Nite beautiful purple girl
Old 02-25-2018, 11:37 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Hi to my fellow poor sleepers.... I can only offer my sympathy as nothing I try works.... may look at sleepy time tea....
Someone told me a spoon of turmeric in warm milk....not tried it yet. She said it was fab.... but tasted a bit odd.
May invest in some lacto free milk and a pot of turmeric... if I remember..
Just seen a picture of how to spot anxiety ...geepers I can tick pretty much all if the boxes... I would try to post it here but not sure how to off my phone.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:05 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good morning Sobrietists! Keep rocking your super sober selves!
Old 02-26-2018, 03:51 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
...One thing....your pillow....make sure you have the right pillow that's really comfortable for you....
Yes! don't cheap out on the pillow. I swapped out two cheap ones for one really good one. It took a little getting use to at first. Even at my last physical (first in many years), the doctor asked me about my pillow.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:53 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
saoutchik

While I was waiting for the Eurostar at St Pancras Station the other day I tried some fancy coffee with turmeric, not as a sleeping aid obviously. It was horrible, tasted like coffee with a few shots of cough syrup. What a waste of £2.70.

It is snowing a bit here but I don't suppose it will settle as it never does in London anymore.