Notices

Weekender Thread 22-26 February 2018

Old 02-23-2018, 05:39 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Yes I'm pumped. Took twisting my friend's arm but got him to sign up. It's been a few years since I signed up for a race. Never did a Tough Mudder but have done some races and triatholons when I wasn't drinking quite as much as I have the past few years.

I find signing up for them is huge - gives you this future date where you have to prepare/can have fun preparing - you can put energy and thought into that rather than other places. Which is important for me/us now.

Happy weekend!
I have thought about doing something like that - but....mud....

I used to run marathons while drinking like a fish. Imagine how much better I could have run them sober.....
Old 02-23-2018, 06:02 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi. Joining you all for the weekend. Looking forward to being sober and present all weekend. Last weekend of basketball for 2 of my kiddos. Should be fun. I also have a day of cleaning in mind for Sunday. I'm about to make a list. My poor family doesn't know what's gonna hit them after breakfast Sunday. I'll have to make sure dinner is good with some I've cream or something
Old 02-23-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Glad you are still sober and got a little sleep in 0202. Be gentle with yourself today.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm in for another sober weekend!
Going to see Black Panther this weekend -
Sober life is good!
Old 02-23-2018, 07:04 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Good morning, Weekenders,

We got a lot of snow overnight in my neck of the woods. So nice to enjoy mornings and see beauty in them.

That's sober life for you.

All the best to new and old friends alike.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:21 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Yep, we got snow as well. Think they are saying another dumping tomorrow night.

I have a busy weekend. Trying to get out of my fibro fog and get some work done today. My son plays in his 5th grade band at a basketball game tonight. I judge at my daughter's speech tournament tomorrow. Sunday is a Cub Scout event. Things I am looking forward to. My social anxiety is on hyper level but I just need to know I will make it through without drinking.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:00 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Your French Resistance contact will be along any minute Sao

Favourite show ever ever ever!!!!!
I must show it to Nick....he has no idea who Rene is....hmmmm.....

Onward La Resitance!!!!! ♥♥♥
Old 02-23-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 02022018 View Post
Yep, we got snow as well. Think they are saying another dumping tomorrow night.

I have a busy weekend. Trying to get out of my fibro fog and get some work done today. My son plays in his 5th grade band at a basketball game tonight. I judge at my daughter's speech tournament tomorrow. Sunday is a Cub Scout event. Things I am looking forward to. My social anxiety is on hyper level but I just need to know I will make it through without drinking.
You will love....you will make it through.
We are ALL going to make it through this weekend.

♥♥
Old 02-23-2018, 08:02 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 02022018 View Post
I am pretty miserable. I slept for only 4 hours last night. But still sober.
Making you one of these.....

Old 02-23-2018, 09:32 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I love this thread. I don't have a lot going on this weekend. Maybe the Farmer's Market tomorrow. Oh well. Things usually happen.
I signed up at our County's animal control for orientation to volunteer with the dogs next month. I want to help those poor animals so much, I sure hope I can handle it. The pound can be a tough place. I've had so much experience with dogs and horses, more decades than I care to mention. I have some free time and I want to try to serve. I'm coming out of kind of a dark place so I'm having to push myself to get reinvolved (sic?) with the world.
Hope you all have a great one and I'll be reading.
Good luck on your secret mission in Paris!
Old 02-23-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Aly, I volunteered at an animal shelter for many years, but it was a low-kill private shelter at the time. They've since gone to County funding and so much changed that I couldn't keep doing it.

It is fulfilling and heart-breaking, I wish you luck! It's a great way to give back without too much human suffering involvement. The animals are always grateful, and that's a valuable lesson in itself.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thank you bimini! I'm for sure a little nervous. We want to help, but then the realities can get too much. I'll give it a try and see how things go.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:44 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Just watch out for that whole, "Foster Care," thing.

I found it way too easy for fosters to become forevers. Especially at this time of year when there are so many littles.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

LOL! I know, I thought about that. I'm living with my mom right now, as she had a stroke and we adopted a German Shepherd/Great Dane mix. She'd kill me if I brought another one home. Our place is kind of small, but I can imagine I'll fall in love...Thanks Bimini, you're the best. I am such a softie for animals and kids.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Aly, the thing that saved me from my own softie heart was living in this condo where we can only (legally) have two animals at a time. Didn't stop me from having foster littles at my place though. The littles I can give back pretty easily, they're a mess but for some reason they get adopted. It's the adults who are not going to live that gave me nightmares and who I wanted very much to rescue.

I finally just accepted that I would do what I could while I was there and try not to take it home with me, like any job.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:12 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Yes I'm pumped. Took twisting my friend's arm but got him to sign up. It's been a few years since I signed up for a race. Never did a Tough Mudder but have done some races and triatholons when I wasn't drinking quite as much as I have the past few years.

I find signing up for them is huge - gives you this future date where you have to prepare/can have fun preparing - you can put energy and thought into that rather than other places. Which is important for me/us now.

Happy weekend!
Yes, this has been true for me too. I'm a trail runner and became one in part to have a focus and release for my former drinking self
which was healthy and empowering.

I did crossfit when I first stopped drinking, but wanted more time in Nature and few less box jumps on my 54-year-old legs.

Trail running is all that and more, and it has been a huge benefit.
I'd love to do Tough Mudder but nothing remotely local where I live and I'm too cheap to travel for racing so far.

In other news:

I'm in for a sober weekend and I must say, Sao, you are a handsome devil.

Oh la la--those French ladies better watch out
Old 02-23-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Yippie! Been a minute since I've been on one of these weekend threads!
Old 02-23-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hi, Sunshine!
Old 02-23-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Gilmer, that is the most cute avatar. That dog just makes me smile, looking at himself
Old 02-23-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Wilbur passed away from brain seizures last summer, but I want to keep him as my avatar as a memorial. He was the most entertaining and endearing (and utterly aloof) dog ever!