Notices

"A beautiful life" : Weekender Thread October 19-25

Old 10-21-2017, 04:47 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Yes, congratulatons on the milestones downpath. I'm one of those that likes to count my days. Some people don't. Personally it added one more thing to my list of reasons to not go back out.

Kit, when drinking, my sleep was all F'd up. I'd pass out in bed, having no idea when or how I got there. Then I'd wake up in the wee hours dehydrated, my bladder full (It's a wonder I didn't pee the bed) then after a bathroom visit I'd toss and turn and worry about the day ahead.

Then when I quit, OMG I LoVeD my sleep. I'd sleep 10 hours straight, easy, then wake up early, just me and the dog, and marvel and how wonderful the morning felt. Over a year later and I still sleep very well right thru the night and still wake up early feeling wonderfull and ready to take on the day!
Old 10-21-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
OX

Good morning weekenders. Let’s have a super sober Saturday. First weekend without hangover in much too long. Can’t say the same for the Mrs. she never made it off the couch last night. Could have had more to do with mood than drink though as last night wasn’t matrimonial bliss at the bigshoe abode. But I stayed sober and that’s a start.
I would like to say that the sun will come up and a new day will begin but at this time a year it is more like the sky will get a brighter grey and we can go outside.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kit2017 View Post
4am here in England...

Day 10 for me.

Feeling better in myself each day but my sleeping pattern is f****d! for want of a better word!

Yesterday I woke at 3:40am and didn't get back to sleep, this morn woke at 3:30am! ... so it's SR reading and posting to the rescue

Just let me dog out the back and made a hot drink, hopefully I'll get a few more hours, at least I have no work today or tomorrow so I can squeeze an afternoon nap in. Going to get more exercise this weekend and maybe that will help.

Hope everyone else is doing ok

K x
That sounds exactly like me in early days. I was not about to lie in bed awake and spinning, so I got up and had a hot drink, a piece of toast, read on SR and then in half an hour I could go back to sleep.

Sleep gets better - soon. I agree that exercise is a big help for that. I still sleep much better on days I get some exercise.

Congrats, Downpath.

BigShoe, welcome to the Weekenders. Sound's like you are from my neck of the soggy woods. Thank God for the rain, we so needed it.

Those of you in the U.S. who might be looking for something to do, check out Day of the Dead stuff in your area next weekend. I'll be going to the big city to vicariously absorb some of this festive and spiritual Latin cultural tradition. I had so much fun a couple years ago.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

a wet & windy day here in the UK as "Storm Brian" passes through - it doesn't really have the same ring as "Hurricane Ophelia" though somehow

didn't sleep too well last night & am resisting the temptation to have a nap otherwise I won't sleep tonight (again). it might be time to deploy coffee ...
Old 10-21-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

17:07 here...

Haha Great minds biminiblue !

andyh you sound just the same as me today ... I've been up since 3:30am, kept myself busy but like you I'm now tempted to have an afternoon nap but I've just got myself a big mug of coffee instead. I really want to stay awake so I can try and get my sleeping pattern sorted.

Wet and windy here in NW England, got a bit of a battering off storm Brian walking Zygi.

Home now warm and cosy again just got to keep busy so I don't nod off.

Peace and Love to all you SR folk

HAPPY SOBER SATURDAY ! x

K x
Old 10-21-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm glad you didn't drink BigShoe, hopefully things will be better.

I was away from work by 9am so I didn't lose much of my weekend. I treated myself to a delicious (but slightly overpriced) breakfast.

Going to see the film The Snowman this evening, storm Brian permitting.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Mr

I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.
I was watching the protest in Barcelona on the tv. They have a lot going on at the moment.

I over indulged today.
Feeling like I need a bigger shirt right now
Tomorrow

Goodnight folks.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

I almost falling asleep because it's been a long day.

I survived my regular 2 workouts of boxing+kickboxing.

And then I got my Ikea furniture delivered, and I managed to put together like 70% of it. I have a big writing desk now! It's pretty cheap, but, hell it works for me!

And I have a new chair!! Yes!

When the furniture arrived I realized I have zero tools to assemble it. So I made a list and went to the nearby store which sells stuff like this. So, I pulled out my list and was like "I need this and that screwdriver, a hammer....".

Typical girly kind of of shopping)

Have a good one, weekenders.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:46 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

I am absolutely dreading going to work on Monday. How can I walk in knowing everyone is gossiping about me behind my back? My dad says I definitely have to go though. If I meet my manager just tell her "thank you for your concern about my welfare and I will try to take the things you said on board"...and try to do better. Just uuuuuuggggghhhhh!!!!
Here is a kind of amusing story:
Three of my mother's sisters share a house (they used to live with my Grandmother until she died). I guess they could be described as "eccentric" and that is me being very polite. I usually try to avoid talking about them to people because when I do, I see people's eyebrows go up right away. But we all have family members like that, right? So my father called to visit them on Friday and he mentioned that it was my birthday last week. So one of them gave him a 20 euro note to pass on to me as a gift. I appreciated the gesture and put it in my wallet without looking.
Today I was out with my parents and we had coffee and I wanted to buy a book so I brought my purchase over to the self service machine in Tesco, swiped it and tried to insert my money. Please also note that there was a massive queue behind me. The machine would not accept it so I tried to insert it again and it was rejected again. So I finally looked at the note she gave me...and my heart sank when I realised that the note had been torn in half and then STAPLED back together!!! I was mortified as I had to call a staff member and tell her I didn't want the book after all (but I really did). So my parents suggested lining up at a busy cash register and hopefully the cashier would not notice. So I took their advice and was sweating in the queue but thankfully he was so busy and did not notice, just handed me my change
Bloody hell! If you are giving someone a gift of money at least it should be acceptable
Old 10-21-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really don;t think everyone will be gossiping behind your back Tetra. It doesn't sound like A grade gossip material to me.

Your fathers suggested response is pretty good.

D
Old 10-21-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I really don;t think everyone will be gossiping behind your back Tetra. It doesn't sound like A grade gossip material to me.

D
Well yes you are right and it is not. However she did say that "someone said I wasn't pulling my weight these past few weeks" and I wouldn't want people to think I am lazy either.

But you know, I did talk to my father about it and he said "worrying what people think about you? Your mother has been doing that for years and years. Do you really want to end up like that?" No not really. He said the only opinion about myself that matters is my own. I have now also been banned from worrying or talking about it for the moment. (Although when you are a worrier like me I am still worried that my contract will be terminated by the end of the year. But if it is, I got this job and I will get another one.)

So I will try to leave it there. But thank you for your support and helpfulness as always.

Thanks all of you
Old 10-21-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

2am here in England...

I was so tired last night after waking at 3:30am again so I thought I would sleep right through. I made sure I got more exercise yesterday too so I'm shocked I just woke at this time...
Opened my eyes and looked at my phone thinking it must be 4/5am at least and it was just 1:40am...

Still, I'm now into Day 11 sober so I'm happy, just frustrating the sleeping pattern being so messed up.
My dog Zygi doesn't seem to have my problem, currently laid next to me snoring his head off! lol.

So it's my early hours savior, nice hot drink and a read / post on SR

Sorry bit of a boring post just checking in with my nocturnal status.

Love to all.

K x
Old 10-21-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Well done on 11 days, Kit. As the numbers go up you feel stronger and stronger, don't you?!
The sleep will settle, and when it does you will feel like you've won the lottery.
Stick with it, Mucca.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Mr

Nice stuff about your desk and chair MB. And tools. Now you have a new chair (kettle) and the one you fixed. I will think of you now as "MacGuyver"

Tetra at least you didnt jam up the machine with your staples.

Kit I have pretty erratic sleeping patterns too. I try not to let it bother me. When I am in work after 3 hours sleep I look KO all day but I pull through. I usually end up having a good night every now and then. I am an early riser always have been. (I work in buildings with 1600 people and am quite often the first in )

Like Downthepath mentions when you have that good night every now and then for me it does feel like winning the lotto

Congratulations today Downthepath !

04h49..... will I get up....uummmmm ?
Old 10-21-2017, 08:14 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Thanks both!

It's 4:14am now, still awake lol.
Had a drink, some toast and devoured a bag of jelly beans, so healthy haha.

K x
Old 10-21-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

morning Kit. I woke up at 1:30, 2:30, 3:30 & then gave up. listening to the women's Ashes from Aus & making tea & toast now.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:09 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Those sleepless nights bring back memories Kit but they ate not a life sentence, it will get better.

Just getting light here, I am psyching myself up yo go for a run.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:10 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
morning Kit. I woke up at 1:30, 2:30, 3:30 & then gave up. listening to the women's Ashes from Aus & making tea & toast now.
sorry about the result Andy

D
Old 10-22-2017, 12:44 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

The old AV is really pestering me today. The sun is shining and another week of holiday is stretching out in front of me. There's also a lot of good sport on the TV. Just reached a milestone, too, which is a bit of a trigger for me. My wife is just about to open a bottle of wine. I won't drink any, but I can feel that buzz already. It will make it all the sweeter when I wake up tomorrow sober.
Don't worry about responding. I just wanted to put my thoughts out there. It helps a bit. It diminishes it for me when I see it written down.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:08 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

9:08 am here now...

Morning / Evening to all from not so sunny England

Thanks for the replies x

I managed to fall back to sleep eventually, was in the chatroom and advised to try the app "Headspace" so after alot of drinks, toast, sweets and SR I turned the lights off, laid back in bed and started the meditation and hey presto, I fell asleep!

I have no big plans today, the weathers pretty rubbish so this morning I'm doing a VERY late tax return, can't wait NOT!!!! I put it off and off with the drinking and due a hefty fine so I'm doing it this morning no matter what!

Then I'll head over to my Mum and Dads later who live about 15mins away and have a SOBER Sunday dinner with them I'll get a good walk in today too. I'm also keen to get running but felt too drained so far, maybe I should push myself this next week and go a couple of mornings before work.

Hope all of you have a lovely day / rest of the weekend.

K x