Notices

"A beautiful life" : Weekender Thread October 19-25

Old 10-22-2017, 02:49 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
sorry about the result Andy

D
I think we need to have a chat about spoilers before the main event kicks off Dee
Old 10-22-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry Andy.
I never normally watch any sports - my apologies

D
Old 10-22-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Good morning everyone! I so miss all of you guys but I'm going to be honest, I'm having a hard time coming here. I am on day 12 of 0 nicotine, no vape machine, no nothing. I decided to just rip the band-aid off. I found that posting here can be a huge trigger as I used to grab my coffee, go have a cig on the porch, and then come back. Then I would read a bit, head back out to the porch, and come back. That would go on for about an hour or so.

Anyway, day 12 today and quitting smoking is an odd feeling. I never realized just how much my life was controlled by it.

I'll leave you with this - outside of feeling like I could sometimes rip someone's face off and scream or I want to bash something with a sledgehammer I feel amazing. What a riot that statement is.

I guess this too shall pass. I know I'm certainly not going back.

I suspect as time passes I'll be around more. Right now I'm just doing everything I can to protect my sobriety from nicotine just like I had to do with alcohol.

Love you guys! Hang in there, as much as cravings can really suck it all eventually gets better.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Congrats on 12 days nicoteen free LadyBlue. Your lungs and heart are thanking you for that!
Old 10-22-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Way to go on 12 days LadyBlue! I was wondering how you were - one or two others as well.

My experience of quitting ciggies (29 years ago) was that the every few minutes thinking "I want a cigarette" had stretched ot to every 1-2 hours by 12 days. You are over the worst. After about 6 weeks tobacco cravings will become irregular. Best thing of all is, that after a time there is no AV with tobacco. I wasn't an alcoholic when I quit smoking and even after I became one I never smoked again, or wanted to. It never crossed my mind. Nicotine is a beast you can kill.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:18 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Good morning everyone! I so miss all of you guys but I'm going to be honest, I'm having a hard time coming here. I am on day 12 of 0 nicotine, no vape machine, no nothing. I decided to just rip the band-aid off. I found that posting here can be a huge trigger as I used to grab my coffee, go have a cig on the porch, and then come back. Then I would read a bit, head back out to the porch, and come back. That would go on for about an hour or so.

Anyway, day 12 today and quitting smoking is an odd feeling. I never realized just how much my life was controlled by it.

I'll leave you with this - outside of feeling like I could sometimes rip someone's face off and scream or I want to bash something with a sledgehammer I feel amazing. What a riot that statement is.

I guess this too shall pass. I know I'm certainly not going back.

I suspect as time passes I'll be around more. Right now I'm just doing everything I can to protect my sobriety from nicotine just like I had to do with alcohol.

Love you guys! Hang in there, as much as cravings can really suck it all eventually gets better.
Good to see you, and congrats. The worst IS over. You've got this.

All of this sounds so very familiar! We are more alike than we are different.

I haven't smoked in many years. I think it's 23 years...hm. Now I'm one of "those" people who can't stand the smell.

Your body thanks you.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

I've been out & bought myself the new Philip Pullman book, so that's me sorted for the afternoon
Old 10-22-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders! Glad to be making it through another one....tired & sore from work but that's okay.....better than the alternative! Happy to be here with you all
Old 10-22-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Tetra - I hope things go okay for you tomorrow

there is a quote I try to keep in mind when I'm in that sort of situation (I suffer from social anxiety too):

"You'd worry less about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do it"

which is supported by research into "The Spotlight Effect":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotlight_effect
Old 10-22-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

The Weekender thread has always been a "return to home and comfort" for me as there were many weekends I stayed glued to SR. While I may not return as often to SR as time has gone by, what I do know is that it is always there. I've had a lot of thoughts lately of alcohol; not necessarily drinking - but the places and people that went along with it. It perhaps makes sense as it will be my 5 year anniv. at the end of November. I wanted to come here and tell on myself and my thoughts. I've learned that sharing what is on my mind makes it easier to carry....the thoughts become less heavy so to speak.

Its awesome to see so many new people as well as many familiar Sobriety is strong here!
Old 10-22-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

17 year ex-smoker here. Managed to quit while continuing to drink. I'm one of "those" people two. I once complained to the head of Health and Saftey about the company smoking area being to close to the employee entrance. Her reply was, the car exhaust in the parking lot was more dangerous. Then I realised that she was one of the smokers too and I was going to get nowhere with my complaint.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:05 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning, start of a new week. By boss is on his annual holiday but thank goodness this is the last week as I really dislike having all the responsibilty while he is away.

I hope you enjoy La Belle Sauvage Andyh. I like Phillip Pullman too.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:37 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Mr

Have a good week everyone.
Thank you for popping in soberclover.
Courage to Sao and Tetra.

We are going to do our favourite copper coast road drive today with all the stop offs along the way. Holidays are great sober.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:04 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just wanted to pass on this message.....see you a little later!

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
With so many Undies becoming Overs, I worry that this thread might disappear into obscurity, which would be a shame as it has mean so much to so many over the years.

If any of you know of anyone who would benefit from the support here, or if anyone reads but doesn't post, maybe now is the time to do something more.
One year and Under Club ~ Feel free to stop by and say hello
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...part-59-a.html (One Year and Under Club Part 59)
Old 10-23-2017, 03:47 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

morning all....
Old 10-23-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Good call on the Undies thread, Purplrks3647.

I spent a lot of time on SR in early days. I was in a rather dramatic "Class of" thread, which died a natural death. As far as I know only three of us stayed sober. Then I moved to this thread, and kept posting in the 24 Hour Connections thread too. I think everyone can find a niche here, there is a lot of diverse interest.

The sky is pretty clear and I ate too much over the weekend, so I'm going to take an extra long hike/walk today. I'm calling it a "carb refeed," but I don't think anyone would classify it as that except me.

Another sober weekend in the books. Have a great one, you all.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
saoutchik

My Class of died too, there are others who still post though. In the first few months of my own recovery I was drawn to Weekenders because if someone was struggling it would rally round but it was also about what we were up to, ie not just about not drinking. It is nice to get out of the "i'm not drinking, it's tough, even though that is the truth.

Anyhoo, for any new people I quit when I was 54 and I was drinking 2/3rds of a 70cl bottle of Famous Grouse whiskey most weekdays. Slightly more at weekends. I'm probably not the worst and comparisons are pointless but I was old and in deep so any can stop if they work at it hard enough. Don't rely on willpower as it didn't work for me or most on SR I think.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:59 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

I really relied on the “Undies” thread during my first year. I didn’t feel qualified anymore to stay with my original “class,” because I had relapsed briefly (although that was just me). And my two subsequent class threads never really took off, so the Undies were a good, consistent place where I could ask questions and vent, and everyone understood and could identify and help.

It fills a unique niche.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:24 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Mr

I have never posted in one year and under club. I think i'll have a look. I need as many regular threads as possible.

Tell us your ok Tetra.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:26 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Morning all. My class thread faded away too...hope they're doing ok. I posted on undies.. ..also on overs....when I crossed that bridge.
But I find I'm so comfortable here that I pretty much only post here nowadays.